Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I of course should have but did not get the premium package and the radio in my ES flat out sucks. I can't stand it. Any of your ES owners have any suggestions? This girls needs some help. The sound drives me crazy! :mad:

·
Registered
10 Posts
If your just looking to add some low end punch im sure a local car audio place can hook you up with a basic sub/amp combo run from the factory head for a reasonable price. I personally love the factory head unit but i swapped out the speakers with Alpines run to a 5 channel Pioneer amp with a Boston 12" sub. Wont rattle the neighbours windows but that wasnt what i was going for LOL

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your just looking to add some low end punch im sure a local car audio place can hook you up with a basic sub/amp combo run from the factory head for a reasonable price. I personally love the factory head unit but i swapped out the speakers with Alpines run to a 5 channel Pioneer amp with a Boston 12" sub. Wont rattle the neighbours windows but that wasnt what i was going for LOL
How much did that run you to do?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Base model here, no complaints about the stock stereo. It's leaps better than the stereo in my Forte Koup EX. Good quality MP3's on my USB stick and some tweaked settings and good to go.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Base model here, no complaints about the stock stereo. It's leaps better than the stereo in my Forte Koup EX. Good quality MP3's on my USB stick and some tweaked settings and good to go.
same... it does distort at the higher volumes, but i'm not a music blaster for the most part. OP what is the "sound" that drives you crazy, distortion at loud volumes or something else?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
same... it does distort at the higher volumes, but i'm not a music blaster for the most part. OP what is the "sound" that drives you crazy, distortion at loud volumes or something else?
Basically when I turn on XM it sounds a bit better but there is not enough base and sound quality to me without having to turn it all the way up. I'm a music person so I like to hear my music not have to force the sound out of it. Then when I switch to radio, "Oh my god, its a sad sound". I should've really looked at this before buying it without the infinity system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Keep in mind XM signals are not prone to the same environmental interferance that AM and FM signals are. XM signals are also higher quality than regular radio. Kind of like compairing cable tv to old school rabbit ears. But i have found that the strength of thetuner used in the stock radio is probbly the worst i have ever had in any car. Id bet that even in the Infinty system its the same tuner in the head unit. If you want a higher quality of sound from FM radio you could try installing a signal amplifier.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I of course should have but did not get the premium package and the radio in my ES flat out sucks. I can't stand it. Any of your ES owners have any suggestions? This girls needs some help. The sound drives me crazy! :mad:
I feel you bro. The first thing I noticed was how bad the sound quality was compared to all my previous vehicles.
I swapped out 4 main speakers on my base ES and added sound mats to the doors, switched out stock tires. The sound is much more acceptable now. It is still far from my previous Mazda, but it is a lot better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Keep in mind XM signals are not prone to the same environmental interferance that AM and FM signals are. XM signals are also higher quality than regular radio. Kind of like compairing cable tv to old school rabbit ears. But i have found that the strength of thetuner used in the stock radio is probbly the worst i have ever had in any car. Id bet that even in the Infinty system its the same tuner in the head unit. If you want a higher quality of sound from FM radio you could try installing a signal amplifier.
I will check into that. Something has to be done because I seriously cant stand it. That is the only complaint I have for this car. It is the suckiest radio I've ever had in a vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quick fix

I have a 2017 Elantra Sport DCT, and I too didn't want to spend the extra $2500 for the premium package just for the upgraded stereo. I quickly realized that the standard systems sounded pretty bad soon after I bought the car, and was starting to wish I spent the extra money. My solution, since I listen mostly to HD FLAC files with my HTC 10 phone to listen to music, was to buy the best Android music player available from the Google Play Store: Poweramp. It is a very good music player, but also has an excellent 10-band graphic equalizer. I listen mostly to classical and jazz, so I wasn't looking for booming bass, but rather accurate overall sound reproduction. It took a couple of weeks of fine tuning, but I finally ended up with an equalization curve that hugely improves on the standard speakers sound quality. I actually really enjoy listening to music in my Elantra Sport now! One other thing I discovered is that the analog auxiliary input (1/8" stereo plug) sounds better than connecting the phone via Bluetooth. I suspect this is because the D/A converter in my HTC 10 is better than the D/A converter in the car's stereo box. I'd be happy to share my equalization settings with anyone who's interested in trying this. Poweramp was only $2.99, so definitely a bargain.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
The $2500 premium package was more than the stereo. I'll never own another car without the premium audio option. A lot of people think that all stock system suck regardless of branding but in my experience, I am happy with the extra quality I've received across several brands from the premium systems.

I listened to the stock system even though I knew I wouldn't consider a non-premium package ES. Night and day. I considered the package a bargain because the final cost of the car was just $21750.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If your spending $2500 for just the audio upgrade, foolish. Take that 2500 clams and put a real system in that will be even better then the Infinity OEM 'upgrade'. If it were say a $200-$300 single option, I could say yes, but not $2500. Alas, the option list isn't granular enough.. No auto manufacturer is willing to be that flexible yet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.