Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Elantra Sport DCT @ 32,000km

I went to two Hyundai dealership inquiring about oil change. One said regular and the other says synthetic.
I live in Toronto, it doesn't get hot a lot here. Which would be the proper oil to go for?
What is the benefits and service intervals of Regular vs Synthetic?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Should be synthetic 100% of the time.

Reactions: cb900f2

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks R1600, what's the service interval if I go with synthetic?

I've done 6 regular oil changes every 5k, not sure for the synthetic, some say synthetic oil can last a year instead of every six months or 5k driving.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Thanks R1600, what's the service interval if I go with synthetic?

I've done 6 regular oil changes every 5k, not sure for the synthetic, some say synthetic oil can last a year instead of every six months or 5k driving.
I would do every 5k max.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Ruin the car for the next owner. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
FWIW, at the initial service appointment I asked the dealer whether synthetic would extend the oil change interval beyond the recommended 6 mo./5000 km. I was told that it would not. Seeing no real advantage to spending extra on synthetic I've stayed with regular oil.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
No real advantage except extending the life of the engine. Have to think long term, not short term. But then your average person rarely keeps a car more than a couple years anymore.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jay, so far I've had 6 regular oil changes from Hyundai. I was due for another one so I went there last week to make an appointment and I was told by the service advisor they had just received an updated bulletin saying Synthetic should be used on Elantra Sport Turbo. Did some searching and synthetic is a must for Turbo engine.

A lil bit more money but less headache later.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Jay, so far I've had 6 regular oil changes from Hyundai. I was due for another one so I went there last week to make an appointment and I was told by the service advisor they had just received an updated bulletin saying Synthetic should be used on Elantra Sport Turbo. Did some searching and synthetic is a must for Turbo engine.

A lil bit more money but less headache later.
Can you get a copy of this bulletin? There's been one out since 2017 from Hyundai that asks dealers to use synthetic 5w40 in the turbo cars. Wondering if it's an updated TSB.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
R1600, I'll try to get the updated copy.
I did see one here under "first diy oil change for es".

Manual and oilcap says 5w30, but looking at my service record they put 5w40 during winter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
FWIW, at the initial service appointment I asked the dealer whether synthetic would extend the oil change interval beyond the recommended 6 mo./5000 km. I was told that it would not. Seeing no real advantage to spending extra on synthetic I've stayed with regular oil.
An important bit of information I forgot to include is that my dealer has always given me the choice of regular or synthetic oil. In opting for regular oil I was not rejecting the dealer's recommendation. If Hyundai recommends synthetic oil for the turbo engine I wish my dealer had said so.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not all dealers and service mechs are bright... 😁 ain't that right R1600 😋
Best to ask real ES owners and self research.

Hyundai fucked up on their manual, that's why their doing correction.

Consult 2 or 3 Hyundai service center and make judgement from there.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
R1600, I'll try to get the updated copy.
I did see one here under "first diy oil change for es".

Manual and oilcap says 5w30, but looking at my service record they put 5w40 during winter.
This is the newest one we have.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Manual and oilcap says 5w30 said:
The service invoices for my car show that dealer has been installing 5W30. I'd appreciate it If someone can point me in the direction of a recommendation from Hyundai Canada that the ES should be getting synthetic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts