Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the M&S grilles available on ebay something I ought to be able to install myself in a driveway? What would a reasonable price for a grille swap at an auto body place be?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
You could, yes. I did it in my garage using nothing but ramps. However... these grills are not high quality. The few holes that come pre-cut are cut too large and the trim piece around the grill won't seat properly. Only 4 of about 15 or so holes are pre-cut, the rest you have to cut out yourself with a dremel, and it's a huge pain in the butt.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You could, yes. I did it in my garage using nothing but ramps. However... these grills are not high quality. The few holes that come pre-cut are cut too large and the trim piece around the grill won't seat properly. Only 4 of about 15 or so holes are pre-cut, the rest you have to cut out yourself with a dremel, and it's a huge pain in the butt.
I am glad I read this. I have a license bracket on mine (bought out of state). A new OE grille lists for over $700, so I was contemplating this grille but wasn't sure about fitment. I guess I will live with my ugly license plate bracket lol.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
I am glad I read this. I have a license bracket on mine (bought out of state). A new OE grille lists for over $700, so I was contemplating this grille but wasn't sure about fitment. I guess I will live with my ugly license plate bracket lol.
Note: You don't have to modify the OE grill. Only the aftermarket grill from M&S

·
Registered
116 Posts
Note: You don't have to modify the OE grill. Only the aftermarket grill from M&S
I know. I meant I would just replace my current OEM grille that has the license place bracket for a new OEM grille sans the bracket. But I'm not spending $700 to get rid of a license bracket.... the M+S grille is $400 which isn't as bad but I don't want to mess with a junk grille

·
Registered
83 Posts
The license plate holder is made to go around the grill "bar" things so it doesn't damage the chrome grill bars. My dealer had the plate holder on mine already, but it's just 4 screws and it comes off fine. With the bracket removed, the screw holes aren't visible without looking around for them as they are between the grill bars.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The license plate holder is made to go around the grill "bar" things so it doesn't damage the chrome grill bars. My dealer had the plate holder on mine already, but it's just 4 screws and it comes off fine. With the bracket removed, the screw holes aren't visible without looking around for them as they are between the grill bars.
Mine looks terrible when removed. The holes are raised around he edges and there is some white plastic that shows so I just left the bracket on. Not the end of the world.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
I know. I meant I would just replace my current OEM grille that has the license place bracket for a new OEM grille sans the bracket. But I'm not spending $700 to get rid of a license bracket.... the M+S grille is $400 which isn't as bad but I don't want to mess with a junk grille
$400 is a bit high. I got mine from kdmholic off of Ebay for about $300 shipped to my door.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the M+S grill. I love the look. I wish it came with directions though. I snapped the peices off of the piano black trim to make it fit instead of making holes for them and also destroyed my stock grill in the process. Everything looks great. Except for the piano black trim hanging off slightly. I will have to take off the grill again and try to find a solution. I routinley​ get compliments on my cars looks. I also took off the Hyundai badge and debaged the back. It looks extremely clean and I have people wondering what kind of car it is. I have heard Mazda, Infiniti, and Mercedes.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My buddy has a body shop and he said it was a rough install. The story about the holes are true. My fiend had to cut additional holes and match them up with the holes on the grill trim piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
If anybody else gets one soon would they mind doing a how-to thread with pics? Would be nice to see what your going up against before starting the install.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If anybody else gets one soon would they mind doing a how-to thread with pics? Would be nice to see what your going up against before starting the install.
It's really not that hard. You could do it yourself in about an hour. The hardest part for me was getting off the stock grill. Then getting the M+S grill exactly where I wanted so it looked good. As long as you know how to take your bumper off safely it shouldn't be too hard that a novice couldn't DIY it.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
No way you could do the M&S install in an hour. Way, way too much dremeling, test fitting, and more dremeling for that to be the case. Just cutting the holes that M&S decided not to cut will take you over an hour even if you measured everything 100% perfectly the first time around.

·
Registered
90 Posts
No way you could do the M&S install in an hour. Way, way too much dremeling, test fitting, and more dremeling for that to be the case. Just cutting the holes that M&S decided not to cut will take you over an hour even if you measured everything 100% perfectly the first time around.
Such a nice mod to do but the installation pain and the cost to bring it to Australia is too much at the moment. Hope there be alternatives in future.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts