Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first oil change and was told by them that my Turbo has to have synthetic oil - and if I used another type of oil it voids the warranty on my car? Is that true? I was never told that when I bought the car and had no idea.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I got my first oil change and was told by them that my Turbo has to have synthetic oil - and if I used another type of oil it voids the warranty on my car? Is that true? I was never told that when I bought the car and had no idea.
I feel like there's someone on the Facebook group who only uses conventional since he is leasing. Sorta like he isn't going to spend extra since it is a lease.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My dealer used synthetic 5-w40. Not sure of whats req i assume they would at least know what it needs haha
Says 5w30 right on the oil cap LOL
i see that. I also read that5-30 and 5-40 both work fine and not sure if my climate would suggest the 40 vs the 30 doesnt matter to me i guess they did it so if i blow a motor between now and 200 k its on them if not its on the next guy when i trade in lol

·
Registered
288 Posts
i see that. I also read that5-30 and 5-40 both work fine and not sure if my climate would suggest the 40 vs the 30 doesnt matter to me i guess they did it so if i blow a motor between now and 200 k its on them if not its on the next guy when i trade in lol
I think you’re overthinking things. If you’re that worried about it. Buy some 5w-30 Pennzoil platinum and give it to the dealer to put in lol

·
Registered
37 Posts

I had the first oil change (aka Service #1) today. I was asked by the service writer if I wanted "full synthetic oil." I said to use what Hyundai specifies to maintain the warranty (i.e., "regular" oil). I got no pressure to pay extra for synthetic oil.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was told by Hyundai the Elantra uses regular conventional oil. It was a personal preference if I decided to use synthetic oil or not. Obviously synthetic oil and premium fuel will optimize the performance of the vehicle.

He said if you want to keep better performance spend a little with oil and fuel. If you want to be frugal lol stick to regular conventional oil and regular unleaded fuel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was told by Hyundai the Elantra uses regular conventional oil. It was a personal preference if I decided to use synthetic oil or not. Obviously synthetic oil and premium fuel will optimize the performance of the vehicle.

He said if you want to keep better performance spend a little with oil and fuel. If you want to be frugal lol stick to regular conventional oil and regular unleaded fuel.
I don't think you'll ever find a conventional ACEA A5 oil.

ACEA A5/B5 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use at extended Drain Intervals in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & Diesel Engines designed to be capable of using Low Viscosity Oils with HTHS Viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa*s. These Oils are unsuitable for use in certain Engines - consult vehicle-OEM’s owner’s manual/handbook in case of doubt.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't think you'll ever find a conventional ACEA A5 oil.

ACEA A5/B5 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use at extended Drain Intervals in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & Diesel Engines designed to be capable of using Low Viscosity Oils with HTHS Viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa*s. These Oils are unsuitable for use in certain Engines - consult vehicle-OEM’s owner’s manual/handbook in case of doubt.

I agree with you ....... I did go to the dealer and had them look at the owners manual, and we couldn't find anything. While at the dealer they apparently called the Tech line they use and said to use conventional oil. However I disagree with them and will be sticking to synthetic oil instead. I have used in the past and currently with all my vehicles either " Pentosin or either Liqui Molly ".

I appreciate the information boss ! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.