Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I apologize if the question has been asked before as I couldn't find my query here in the search bar. I've noticed that our cars call for 70W gear lube for the m6cf3 transmission. I can't really find any 70W and for the money, the Amsoil 75W90 GL-4 appears to be a good bet. Anyone here have experience replacing the gear oil? Do our cars insist on factory gear oil or can we replace it with GL-4 75W90 from other brands?

·
Registered
214 Posts
ive driven mainly acuras in my life so i have experience with lots of different mtfs. imo amsoil was good at first feeling buttery smooth but it wears down quickly after a few 1000 miles and becomes notchy. pretty similar experience with redline too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Wolf_Speed. Is there a transmission gear oil that you would recommend for our cars? I still have factory oil in mine and I have no complaints about the shifting. I already ordered the Amsoil but definitely open to suggestions.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi Wolf_Speed. Is there a transmission gear oil that you would recommend for our cars? I still have factory oil in mine and I have no complaints about the shifting. I already ordered the Amsoil but definitely open to suggestions.
in my experience the gm synchromesh with or without the friction modifiers. it never "fixed" any trans issues that i had but worked very well in transmissions that didnt have any problems. it made the shifting feel very smooth.

any reasons why you are wanting to change it out so soon? mine shifts pretty smooth although sometimes 3rd is a little notchy but its pretty
rare.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it's a new car so I just wanna get her running on the good stuff asap. I figure since new engines get early oil changes the first time due to break in, the same might apply to transmissions.

·
Registered
214 Posts
i see that makes sense. does anyone know if hyundai has their own dedicated mtf like honda does? would they try to void any warranty transmission work if they found out that we used different mtf than they recommend?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
i see that makes sense. does anyone know if hyundai has their own dedicated mtf like honda does? would they try to void any warranty transmission work if they found out that we used different mtf than they recommend?
They won't know unless you tell them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So an update on the gear oil. I think the shop where i got the oil change done are assholes. So I had 2 quarts of the Amsoil put in but the shop charged me for an additional bottle of Amalie GL5 MT1 hypoid gear oil cause according to them the car required 3 quarts. :mad:
Does shift smooth but the fuel economy is ****. Getting closer to 26 mpg highway now. I don't know but maybe 75w90 is too thick? I ordered MT-85 from Redline to swap out ASAP. Do NOT like having the GL5 gear oil in there even if it is a MT1.
What a shitty day that was.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Amsoil is good stuff and I trust it. I just don't trust the Amalie GL5 that went in there with it. :( my poor car. Btw. What kind of mpg figures are you all seeing? The computer is waaaaaay optimistic about the consumption numbers methinks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
R1600Turbo. I think they might be using Pentosin. I heard that it's their 70w80 gear oil. No idea if true.

Around 320 miles done on the new oil. Feels thinner these days to the touch but that's probably just me.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Amsoil is good stuff and I trust it. I just don't trust the Amalie GL5 that went in there with it.
my poor car. Btw. What kind of mpg figures are you all seeing? The computer is waaaaaay optimistic about the consumption numbers methinks.
the computer over estimates by about 1.5-2 mpgs according to the fuelly app.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just swapped in MT-85. The old oil was pretty dark. It definitely feels closer to OEM, and shifts lighter. It does feel a tad notchy. Will definitely go on a short drive later and see.

Feel much better to flush out the old stuff though.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I used just a bit over 2 quarts when I swapped mine out - maybe 2.25, and it was just barely dripping out of the upper fill hole when done. With the Amsoil, I lost about 1 - 2 MPG for the first 3000 miles or so, now I'm back where I was. Guess it takes a minute to break in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts