Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I picked up my 2017 ES DCT Base last summer. My last car was a 2011 ford focus se with a whopping 120 hp, so car building is pretty new to me but I'm learning as I go. I got into racing sims and wanted something I could take to track days and have some fun with while still being my daily.
I'm in the people's republic of Massachusetts so things like Muffler Deletes are tricky while keeping it street legal. Below you can find my build list and current progress along with updates. A lot of the mods I'm still researching the best options if you have a suggestion let me know below.

Currently I've got 35% tint all the way around, and I just installed a SXTH intake with BPV & Breather deletes.

As of 3/21/2018

Build Plan

Performance

• Intake (SXTH Short Ram Intake) Purchased & Installed
  • Resonator Delete (SXTH Resonator Delete) Purchased
  • Lightweight Rims (Enkei GT7 18x8 +40 5x114.3)
  • Performance Tires (Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season Plus )
  • Rear Sway Bar (SXTH Rear Swaybar)
  • Track grade coilovers (HSD Monopro)
  • Engine mount
  • Big Break Kit
  • Spark Plugs (HKS M45XL)
  • Custom Exhaust
  • Tune

If it ever becomes a dedicated track car:
    Turbo back exhaust
    Front Mounted Intercooler
    Big Turbo & Tune

Cosmetic

• 35% Tint Purchased & Installed
  • Chrome Delete In-Progress
  • Debadge
  • Engine Acccents
  • Caliper Paint
  • Lip Spoiler

·
Registered
209 Posts
nice colour dude, where are you hoping to get the brakes from?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! Seems like a ton of parts are just starting to get on the market. Brakes I definitely want to see vetted, both for safety, and practicality. Some cars seem to just need better pads and that's it, so a big brake kit is useless for the power they put out. That'll probably be the last thing I do before going for a tune. Wanna get the car handling really well first.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Thanks guys! Seems like a ton of parts are just starting to get on the market. Brakes I definitely want to see vetted, both for safety, and practicality. Some cars seem to just need better pads and that's it, so a big brake kit is useless for the power they put out. That'll probably be the last thing I do before going for a tune. Wanna get the car handling really well first.
I have the same goals. I also will not be cracking open the engine or changing out the turbo until the warranty is over so right now some braided lines and good pads are sufficient.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ditto....

However trying to find pads for the front is a PITA right now.

Reactions: Rithwald

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I installed the SXTH Resonator Delete pipe this past weekend. It took about 2 hours, most of which was trying to get the car jacked up. Needed to hunt down some plywood so we could get the floor jack in.
Install otherwise was pretty straight forward. The only suggestion i have is use vice grips to get the band caps off instead of a screwdriver like it suggests in the SXTH instructions. It was way easier with the vice grips.

Overall I haven't seen too much of a difference (not that i expected it). There may be a slightly deeper rumble in the lower gears but not necessarily louder. Cruising there's no drone. Performance wise there's nothing on the butt dyno.

The part's so cheap that I don't regret getting it. I feel its one of those, "I might as well get it while I'm here" type of buys.
That being said, I wouldn't buy it on its own, and I wouldn't install it unless you're already going to be under the car for say an oil change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the next set of mods are going to be tires & rims, brakes and the rear sway bar.

Tires: I'm looking at the Perelli P Zero All Season tires as a good round of dry, wet, and snow performance.
Rims: I'm indecisive on. I want them to sit flush and it looks like 18x8.5 +50 would do the job.
So far its a toss up between:
  • Enekei GT7 18x8 +40
  • HD Clutch 18x9 +45 (liking these for the style and the bigger contact patch. Is anybody running 9s is there any issue with rubbing?)
Brakes: I talked to a few people and the stock brakes fade a little after several laps. Currently looking at
  • EBC Red/Yellow stuff pads
  • Stoptech Rotar/Brake kit
Sway Bar: Toss up between the Pierce Motorsports track suspension package and the SXTH Rear Swaybar.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
For tires, I am running Pirelli Centruato P7 All Season's and they are great for ride/noise. I haven't tested dry grip, trying to make them last. Getting a secondary set of wheels for the fun stuff.

Wheels, I'll just say that this car is not great for running a wide patch. I would recommend staying with a 18x8 with mid to high 40's offset. You can get away with a 235 on that. 18x8.5 you are spot on at +50. Anything wider than that will need a smaller offset and will be far from flush and could potentially have rubbing issues, especially when lowered.

Brakes, the stock rotors are fine. I would recommend upgrading the pads and fluid. And might was well do the lines too. Talk to Josh Sadler at KDM Tuners and he'll get you set up here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts