Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in a different section of the forum, but go response, so sorry for the repost.

I have an ES with the Dual Clutch Transmission and I have noticed two things when starting my car first ting in the morning:

1) The sound of the engine is different. It is almost like there is more of mechanical belt sound when revving, kind of like a go cart or something. This is past the point of letting the car go through it's higher RPM cycle when you first start the car up and seems to happen until the car is driven for about 15 minutes.
2) The transmission shifts are not as smooth in the lower gears (mainly 1st and 2nd gear). This gets annoying when you use the car every day for getting to work.

For the sifting issues, could this be something to do with maybe Hyundai uses some cheap transmission fluid from the factory? I am not sure, as this is my first vehicle with a DCT.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't have any noises I'd consider weird - all cars make noises when cold - but I do have a VERY hard stumble when I first put it in drive on cold mornings. It feels like someone driving a manual popped the clutch without giving it any gas. It lurches and almost stalls. Surely this is not normal.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It can take well up to 15-20 minutes of driving for the complete fluid systems(coolant, oil, transmission, differential) to reach full operating temperature. Just because your 'engine temp' gauge reads in the middle, does NOT mean all fluids and temps are nominal. Because of this, yes you will notice harsher shifting characteristics until all fluids(and mechanicals for that matter) have reached proper levels. Get up earlier in the morning and let the car warm up for at least a good 5-7 minutes, especially as it gets colder out. Even doing so, the transmission won't have a chance to get up to temperature until has been working for a time.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It can take well up to 15-20 minutes of driving for the complete fluid systems(coolant, oil, transmission, differential) to reach full operating temperature. Just because your 'engine temp' gauge reads in the middle, does NOT mean all fluids and temps are nominal. Because of this, yes you will notice harsher shifting characteristics until all fluids(and mechanicals for that matter) have reached proper levels. Get up earlier in the morning and let the car warm up for at least a good 5-7 minutes, especially as it gets colder out. Even doing so, the transmission won't have a chance to get up to temperature until has been working for a time.
This is the worst way to warm up a car. Driving it is absolutely the best way. I think **** near every manufacturer states this in the owners manual these days. Moving fluids around ensures everything gets warmed up equally and in the same amount of time.

Winter challenges every car. It's not abnormal in the slightest for a car to run differently in the cold. Just be easy on it until the temperature gauge has been in it's normal warm position for at least 10-15 minutes to account for the slower warm up time of motor oil.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses, guys.
I realize that fluids have to get moved around when starting that car, but this is a vehicle made in 2017. This weird rough shifting should not be happening. Hasn't happened in my two previous older cars, so why would it happen in this car.
And as far as "cold" goes, I live in the Bay Area and it usually gets to be like 50 degrees in the morning. Nothing close to freezing.
I am just going to have to bring it into the dealer I guess.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I realize that fluids have to get moved around when starting that car, but this is a vehicle made in 2017. This weird rough shifting should not be happening. Hasn't happened in my two previous older cars, so why would it happen in this car.
And as far as "cold" goes, I live in the Bay Area and it usually gets to be like 50 degrees in the morning. Nothing close to freezing.
But were they dual clutch or traditional slushbox?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I get an occasional slight jerk from first to second when it's below 40-50 degrees outside after a cold start. It doesn't concern me, any car I've owned or driven with an automatic transmission has behaved different when cold. For example, my 2014 cruze wouldn't lock up the torque converter until it hit a certain temperature, making it feel like a CVT accompanied by weird slushy shifts, weak acceleration and strange engine "droning" noises.
The DCT isn't perfect, but I find it easier to live with and much smoother than the DSG used in the GTI, even if our shifts aren't lightning fast and we can't launch.
It's a dry clutch system, just like a manual transmission. Occasional lurches are to be expected, and we don't have to spend 300 dollars on a fluid service every 30k miles like the wet clutch transmissions in the VW. And I'm sure it's a major step up from the original DCT used in the first Velosters.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, another update of strange shifting behavior:

Today on my way to to work, the transmission felt like it completely disengaged and did not transfer any power to the wheels for a few seconds while I was mid-drive, then it caught the gear it was supposed to be in and jumped forward.
This type of behavior can not be normal and it sure as **** is not acceptable for a vehicle with a little over 1,200 miles on it. It should be functioning absolutely fine for a very long time from now.

I am going to bring my car into Hyundai tomorrow and will update here after with what they said. I really hope something will come of this and I don't have to trade this car in or something. I really like it, but the transmission is a real issue at this point.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Today on my way to to work, the transmission felt like it completely disengaged and did not transfer any power to the wheels for a few seconds while I was mid-drive, then it caught the gear it was supposed to be in and jumped forward.
This type of behavior can not be normal and it sure as **** is not acceptable for a vehicle with a little over 1,200 miles on it. It should be functioning absolutely fine for a very long time from now.

I am going to bring my car into Hyundai tomorrow and will update here after with what they said. I really hope something will come of this and I don't have to trade this car in or something. I really like it, but the transmission is a real issue at this point.
This has happened to me maybe 2 or 3 times in 16,000 miles. At low speeds, in parking lots or rolling forward to turn left at stoplights. It does this when it is expecting you to accelerate forward slowly, and instead you slow down quickly then hit the gas. This transmission does not like to shift down an even number of gears (like from third to first in this situation)
The way I see it, is that it's a very short hesitation that happens only in rare scenarios that I can usually anticipate. In manual mode this isn't an issue at all. And it can still usually get me out of sticky situations faster than I could in a manual transmission car.
I'm more shocked that you didn't do more research before you bought the car. This kind of thing happens in all but the very best dual clutch transmission cars and it's plastered all over the internet in many forums. In fact many cars are much worse, and I was pleasantly surprised at how responsive the 7 speed is in this car. I remember riding in a Dodge dart 1.4t with a dual dry clutch that was far slower to react and much lurcher than the transmission in this car.
Point is, I know it's easy to overlook things when buying a car but I think this is normal behavior for a DCT in a car this inexpensive. Your dealership most likely will not do anything about it. They probably won't buy it back and they've probably heard about it a million times from Tucson owners. Your other option may be to file a lawsuit, which many people have against many different automakers for this same reason.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

This has happened to me maybe 2 or 3 times in 16,000 miles. At low speeds, in parking lots or rolling forward to turn left at stoplights. It does this when it is expecting you to accelerate forward slowly, and instead you slow down quickly then hit the gas. This transmission does not like to shift down an even number of gears (like from third to first in this situation)
The way I see it, is that it's a very short hesitation that happens only in rare scenarios that I can usually anticipate. In manual mode this isn't an issue at all. And it can still usually get me out of sticky situations faster than I could in a manual transmission car.
I'm more shocked that you didn't do more research before you bought the car. This kind of thing happens in all but the very best dual clutch transmission cars and it's plastered all over the internet in many forums. In fact many cars are much worse, and I was pleasantly surprised at how responsive the 7 speed is in this car. I remember riding in a Dodge dart 1.4t with a dual dry clutch that was far slower to react and much lurcher than the transmission in this car.
Point is, I know it's easy to overlook things when buying a car but I think this is normal behavior for a DCT in a car this inexpensive. Your dealership most likely will not do anything about it. They probably won't buy it back and they've probably heard about it a million times from Tucson owners. Your other option may be to file a lawsuit, which many people have against many different automakers for this same reason.
I did plenty of research before buying the car and I read it could be a bit jerky, which is fine, but I didn't find anything about the jerky behavior being so severe. The fact that this has happened to me 3 times in only 1200 miles is concerning.

·
Registered
49 Posts

I did plenty of research before buying the car and I read it could be a bit jerky, which is fine, but I didn't find anything about the jerky behavior being so severe. The fact that this has happened to me 3 times in only 1200 miles is concerning.
You may have a hard time getting any help from dealerships or Hyundai. My last car had a very serious acceleration issue over the course of the 2 years I had it, it would go into a limp mode and lose pretty much all of its power. Going up canyons with my foot on the floor I would be losing speed, with nowhere to pull over. After restarting the car this issue would disappear. This happened over 20 times and I had taken it to 4 dealerships, they all told me they couldn't find codes and could not replicate it. I even had multiple videos clearly showing something wrong. They said I would have to bring it to them while it was happening. So I went out of my way to drive it to the dealership the next time it happened and they told me that they were too busy to even look at it and that I needed an appointment. This was also a new car under warranty. I decided rather than trying to hire a lawyer I'd take a 2,000 dollar loss and trade it for the Hyundai.
The sad part is that the dealerships and automaker don't care. Even with the slight hesitations and small lurches this is the most reliable car I have ever owned. I don't consider this car to be unsafe. It is a Hyundai, not a BMW.
You can Google pretty much any auto manufacturer that puts dual clutches in inexpensive cars (besides vw) and find lawsuits for similar issues. Ford especially in the fiesta and focus, dodge, Fiat, and Hyundai for the Tucson and Veloster. Considering this car is literally 2 manual transmissions mashed together in one unit I think it is very smooth. I don't think people understand that. Having owned a manual car, I also know that sometimes when it's cold out gears don't quite shift as easily as when everything is warmed up.
I understand that some of these dual clutch transmissions are downright awful, but I think it's unfair to compare this transmission to a conventional torque converter automatic transmission. It is a manual transmission that changes gears and operates the clutch for you. That comes with many of the drawbacks and advantages of having a manual transmission. I would like to see someone try to drive a manual transmission car without any lurches or hesitations whatsoever over the course of 1,500 miles.

·
Registered
106 Posts
ya I found the transmission is jerky for its 1 and 2 gear when I m driving the car very slow in the parking lot area.
if you have driven manual cars, this is like riding on the clutch except its the transmission doing it, not your left foot. I hope that doesn't wear out the clutch fast.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.