Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain to me why at 80 mph in 6th gear, the car is riding around 3,000 rpm's? Again I'm new and learning as I go. I just know that to me, it seems high even though it doesn't sound like the engine is loud at all. I've just noticed smaller rpm's in any other car at that speed. Also, I've been going through the manual but haven't looked which leads to my second question. Does the manual provide gear ratios in it and if not, does anybody have those numbers? Thanks a lot!!!

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I was doing some digging in this area recently to find out which transmission was in the car so I could try and find someone that had a limited slip differential available. We share most gearing with the Veloster Turbo except for a slightly taller first gear. (see attachment) The reason the car is at 3k at 80 is due to a shorter final drive than most regular cars. This is done to maintain the cars "sporty" nature. Shorter final drive = faster acceleration.

Anyway, in my searching I came across this link which contains just about everything you ever need to know about our cars. Enjoy. :)

2017 Hyundai Elantra Sport Specifications

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for that @R1600Turbo

You'll find a lot of these cars now a days are like that though. The FRS/BRZ guys are dealing with the same thing lol

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was doing some digging in this area recently to find out which transmission was in the car so I could try and find someone that had a limited slip differential available. We share most gearing with the Veloster Turbo except for a slightly taller first gear. (see attachment) The reason the car is at 3k at 80 is due to a shorter final drive than most regular cars. This is done to maintain the cars "sporty" nature. Shorter final drive = faster acceleration.

Anyway, in my searching I came across this link which contains just about everything you ever need to know about our cars. Enjoy. :)

2017 Hyundai Elantra Sport Specifications
Yes sir, the final drive is short indeed. Anything above 4.000 is very very short. Shorter ratio for mechanical advantage.
But this better than my 09 Lancer GTS, which cruise 75MPH @ 3500 RPM.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great info! Thanks fellas! I'm just happy that the engine doesn't sound like it's being beaten at 80 like others cars I've driven.

·
Registered
137 Posts
After owning a dozen or so manual transmission Hondas, Mazdas, and Subarus, be thankful for 3000 rpm @ 80 mph. It's actually not bad for a manual transmission 4 cylinder, especially a little one like our 1.6L.

·
Super Moderator
1,200 Posts
Hah! You should have heard my old '83 Nissan Sentra 1.8l 4 speed manual. At 80mph it sounded like the transmission was going to rip itself loose from the engine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My VT is this gearing. I asked almost word for word your question a few months ago lol. The car needs the revs for efficiency, cause I'm still netting about 30 mpg mixed and I don't drive slow.

Could some share the DCT rpm cruising in 7th please? I'm so curious! Dealers here need to get a white DCT ES so I can finally get one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts