Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I accidently shifted into park while driving at like 30 mph. Nothing happened, the car didn't immediately lurch or stop, it drove normally.

But then I started hearing the weirdest sound. It sounded like some sort of electronic radio interference sound (sounded like something a radio would make), so I started to slow down (at this point the car was still driving normally, wheels didn't lock or anything) and when the car was at around 2mph it seemed like the parking pawl engaged and it immediately stopped.

My question is... Since this is a modern car, the transmission is electronically controlled. I heard that in all modern cars, if you put your car into park while moving, the computer will simply ignore your request, and nothing will happen. I assume that this is what happened in my car since it didn't lurch forward or lock the wheels or anything.

So then, why the **** was it making that spooky electronic sound? Could it be that that sound was actually the grinding sound of gears, and that I've caused some damage (I thought this can't happen in modern cars)? The car runs the exact same as before as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just curious...how did you "accidentally" shift into Park while driving? Don't you have to deliberately press a button while you move the gear lever into reverse or park? If you accidentally bumped into the shift lever hard enough, it'll probably move into Neutral and stop there. I think the button you press on the shifter allows you to move it from N to R or P.

And even if you somehow accidentally pressed the button and moved it to P by accident, why didn't you yank it back down to N or D right away?

Honestly, the only way I can see this happening is if you had an asshat passenger who knows absolutely nothing about cars and just shifted the lever into P on purpose.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.