Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home yesterday and heard/felt a clunk in the shifter while I was shifting into 2nd gear. I was in traffic and not driving aggressively at the time. Since then the shifter has been very notchy and requires more effort to move into every gear. It's clear something is not right in the linkage, so I will be taking it in to the dealer in the next couple days.

I just wanted to post in case anyone else has this issue and will update with what the dealer finds.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow, that sucks! I hope it's something in the linkage and not the transmission. Once upon a time, I owned a Mustang with a T5 manual, which is prone to internal damage (broken dog teeth usually) caused by pushing/pulling the shift lever too hard into gear. I, um, may have done that and ended up stranded one night . . . Keep us posted on the diagnosis.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Based on where that initial clunk/sound came from, I am pretty sure it is something with the linkage or shifter itself. That and the fact that it's happening for all gears. We'll see!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Maunal transmission.
If my car is cold i shift much slower. I can feel some 'difficulty' when selecting third and fourth when the car is cold.
I'm keeping an 'eye' on it and will take it to the dealership if it gets any worse.
I'm thinking the low temp affects the syncro.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Based on where that initial clunk/sound came from, I am pretty sure it is something with the linkage or shifter itself. That and the fact that it's happening for all gears. We'll see!
Update? Make sure the bushings where the cables connect to the trans haven't broken or something.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update -- a couple weeks after posting this, there was another similar clunk/click (I could clearly feel it was in the shifter itself) and the action of the shifter is back to normal now. We'll see if the issue comes back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.