Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want your honest opinion, is this car a good car, i'm seeing a lot of mixed reviews and i need to know if i'm throwing away my money or making a great investment

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Describe said "mixed reviews"? I've had mine for 3 years now, 65k miles and it has never needed to go to the dealer for warranty work. The only real negative things I have seen are with the DCT transmission, ranging from weird behavior to needing a full transmission replacement. Manual transmission has been pretty rock solid. And the EVAP system seems to be quite sensitive to temperatures. People in colder climates will throw a check engine light but it's harmless, the car isn't broken, and it's easy to clear the code yourself and move on.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm very happy with mine. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a better car that offers as much bang-for-buck (including the Fiesta ST). It's no STI or RS but isn't a boring econobox either. It will definitely put a smile on your face (especially with a manual transmission).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Buy it. I mean, I won´t say it´s fast, but itś not slow either. I got ~45K On my 2018 DCT, runs solid. The infotainment system is pure trash imo, but it was on my 2016 Sonata as well. I think thatś just a Hyundai thing. I will say the DCT is probably a little more frustrating to drive than the 6speed, Throttle response is SO STRANGE. Pedal goes down... wait time... Throttle is recognized. But, once again, same thing with my sonata. Itś a solid car man, and the longer I own mine, the more I like it!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
The infotainment system is pure trash imo, but it was on my 2016 Sonata as well. I think thatś just a Hyundai thing.
Honestly, Hyundai has the best infotainment that I have ever used. Lightning fast and simple to use. Now if you are talking about stereo sound, then I might agree with you. But the menu software is pretty good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thatś probably the craziest thing I ever heard. In my two Hyundais I had over almost 10 years together, Both were absolutely horrid. Extraordinary lag. Can take up to 5 minutes to get the ¨confirm¨ screen out after confirming. Rearview camera lags and will be up for who knows how long. The bluetooth hooks up fairly slow but I don´t even consider that an issue. I tried bringing the Sonata in for these issues, they pretty much brushed it off as if I was crazy. Maybe Iĺl give it another go in this car, I have a different dealership now, maybe they can swap it. Since Both systems acted identically I just figured that was how these systems are.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Thatś probably the craziest thing I ever heard. In my two Hyundais I had over almost 10 years together, Both were absolutely horrid. Extraordinary lag. Can take up to 5 minutes to get the ¨confirm¨ screen out after confirming. Rearview camera lags and will be up for who knows how long. The bluetooth hooks up fairly slow but I don´t even consider that an issue. I tried bringing the Sonata in for these issues, they pretty much brushed it off as if I was crazy. Maybe Iĺl give it another go in this car, I have a different dealership now, maybe they can swap it. Since Both systems acted identically I just figured that was how these systems are.
I would have brought that up to the dealer or tried using the reset button on it. Zero problems with mine, super quick. No complaints what so ever.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The features and performance of the 2018 Hyundai Elantra are worth spending. I Just got some problem with the seat materials after a couple of months, but overall a satisfied owner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For starters a car is not an investment it is a depreciating asset.

second since you're buying used you won't take very much of a hit. Hyundai's depreciate faster than other cars.

The infotainment system is damn good I know because I own a 2014 Honda Odyssey and it is the absolute crappiest software designed by human beings ever.

My DCT is fine and acts just the way a DCT does it complains when it's cold in the morning but other than that it's very good.the complaints you hear are from people who have never driven a DCT before and aren't familiar with their little quirks.

I am over 40 and I wanted a commuter car with some zip and that's what I got.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
second since you're buying used you won't take very much of a hit. Hyundai's depreciate faster than other cars.
Yes and no. There's are quite a few other cars that depreciate much the same. Some German cars are a good example. But when buying a Hyundai you should know this ahead of time. Either keep the car long enough to get your money's worth or you'll eat your hat when you try to trade it for something else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i want your honest opinion, is this car a good car, i'm seeing a lot of mixed reviews and i need to know if i'm throwing away my money or making a great investment
Idk, I had a lot of problems with this car
, maybe it was one in 1000 defective, as for the ride it was great, curves like on rails and acceleration really ok, the finish inside and the appearance of the car great, were it not for those problems that encountered me during the car's operation, I would be very pleased
Your decision and take fun ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
No problems with my 18, just a coolant leak the dealer fixed under warranty. I have the base model, never a problem with infotainment. I think the tech package people have the problems with theirs with slow changeover with the backup camera when in drive etc. The dct when cold needs to be babied when first starting or it will try and stall like a true manual car. My only issue is the wheel hop on the occasional hard pull.

·
Registered
2020 ES
7 Posts
If you have good credit I'd advise to get a new one. 0% for 72 months was a no brainer for me. With used rates being as high as they are you may want to compare.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts