Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Like many, I prefer the design of the 17/18. I don't think the 19 is particularly horrible like some users (my main problem is the wheels, which of course can be replaced). But then when I go back to the 17/18, I also much much prefer the design of the grille and the back.

The only 17s or 18s I can find anywhere near me/deliverable to me have prices between 17k-18k with miles around 10k-30k. Shouldn't these cars have depreciated more buy now? I thought Hyundai didn't keep value like Honda/Toyota yet.

I feel I can get a new 2019 for that price, or close to it. And then you can get the new car warranty. Is anyone else out there struggling with this kind of decision?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Lol! I think one of the reasons why they kept their value was they didn't make too many of them and they're hard to find. In my opinion 17 or 18!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Buy a GT N-Line. Thank me later.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I drove a Veloster N, the car is bad ass and sticker price is $29k, the car sold the same day for $40k. Maybe in your area they might not do the market adjustment!

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport DCT w/TECH
240 Posts
Or wait for the Kia Forte GT and then decide, which one do you like more. GT N-line and Forte GT do have many safety features that the 17/18 models are not equipped with.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I drove a Veloster N, the car is bad ass and sticker price is $29k, the car sold the same day for $40k. Maybe in your area they might not do the market adjustment!
Dealers that do that will never get my business. Just plain taking advantage of people. I've seen someone say their dealer has 5 on the lot. It's not a rare car and shouldn't be treated as such...

·
Registered
241 Posts
As much as it pains me to say it, I'd probably take the 19' in the situation you described, looks aside it has the warranty, and a few improvements at what you describe is virtually the same price.

That for the Kia, easily worth a look/test drive.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Looks like you can't get the tech package with a GT N-Line with a manual transmission.

Personally I'd try to look for a 17/18 ES certified pre-owned, but like Feared#87 says, the ES is fairly difficult to find - especially with a M/T and even more so with the premium pkg.

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport DCT w/TECH
240 Posts
While looks are very personal, I very much appreciate styling cues of 17-18 model. Very European with strong Audi influence, which is not surprising considering Luc Donckerwolke and Peter Schreyer of Hyundai/Kia both worked for Audi in the past.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Dealers that do that will never get my business. Just plain taking advantage of people. I've seen someone say their dealer has 5 on the lot. It's not a rare car and shouldn't be treated as such...
I agree 💯

·
Registered
67 Posts
While looks are very personal, I very much appreciate styling cues of 17-18 model. Very European with strong Audi influence, which is not surprising considering Luc Donckerwolke and Peter Schreyer of Hyundai/Kia both worked for Audi in the past.

I agree, looks Euro AF inside and out, like a poor mans S3. I like that you don’t see one everywhere like a Civic.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was just faced with this decision a couple weeks ago. The used 17-18's are rare as you noticed, and aren't depreciating much for whatever reason (good news for us in the long-term). I sort of gave up on finding a nice used one and hit the local dealers. The best quote I was able to get for a new 2019 ES base was 19,700. I went as far as putting a $500 deposit on one. It didn't feel good -- it felt like I was definitely settling.

I went home, slept on it, and decided the next morning there was NO WAY I could stare at that freak show Pokemon face on the 2019 for 5+ years of my life. I was going to find myself a euro-style Audi S3 looking 17-18 beauty and I was going to drive as far as I needed to make it happen. I was able to find a "manager demo" 2018 with 8,500k miles on it left over from last year that the sales manager was using as his personal vehicle. They wanted $20,999 for it and I was able to talk them down to $17,900. Then I got my $500 deposit back for the 2019 and have lived happily ever after.

So do not despair, my friends: if you are willing to work for it, you can achieve the dream of owning an Elantra Sport that doesn't hurt your eyes. You'll have to drive further and make more phone calls than the guy who can tolerate a 2019. The best things in life don't come easy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can see the appeal! Looks like there are some actual performance upgrades too. I tend to be a sedan guy but maybe worth a try.

Or wait for the Kia Forte GT and then decide, which one do you like more. GT N-line and Forte GT do have many safety features that the 17/18 models are not equipped with.
Unfortunately my lease ends in 6 days! So unless I buy a beater to use for a little while, decisions will have to be made quickly.

I was just faced with this decision a couple weeks ago. The used 17-18's are rare as you noticed, and aren't depreciating much for whatever reason (good news for us in the long-term). I sort of gave up on finding a nice used one and hit the local dealers. The best quote I was able to get for a new 2019 ES base was 19,700. I went as far as putting a $500 deposit on one. It didn't feel good -- it felt like I was definitely settling.

I went home, slept on it, and decided the next morning there was NO WAY I could stare at that freak show Pokemon face on the 2019 for 5+ years of my life. I was going to find myself a euro-style Audi S3 looking 17-18 beauty and I was going to drive as far as I needed to make it happen. I was able to find a "manager demo" 2018 with 8,500k miles on it left over from last year that the sales manager was using as his personal vehicle. They wanted $20,999 for it and I was able to talk them down to $17,900. Then I got my $500 deposit back for the 2019 and have lived happily ever after.

So do not despair, my friends: if you are willing to work for it, you can achieve the dream of owning an Elantra Sport that doesn't hurt your eyes. You'll have to drive further and make more phone calls than the guy who can tolerate a 2019. The best things in life don't come easy.
**** dude this is legit inspirational. What's the warranty deal with used ones? Anything at all? There are a few I can get my hands on (expensive services like carvana or vroom) for around that price. How did you find the sales manager car by the way?

·
Registered
19 Posts
**** dude this is legit inspirational. What's the warranty deal with used ones? Anything at all? There are a few I can get my hands on (expensive services like carvana or vroom) for around that price. How did you find the sales manager car by the way?
If you buy directly from an owner, you get the remainder of the 5 year, 60k bumper to bumper warranty. However, you lose the extended powertrain warranty of 10 years and 100k miles. If you buy certified pre-owned from a Hyundai dealer, you DO get the 10 year / 100k powertrain warranty.

The car I found was weird because they were selling it as used due to the mileage but because it had never actually been sold, the warranty hadn't started, so I get the full warranty from the time I bought it. I just got lucky on cars.com or cargurus.com, I forget which site.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you buy directly from an owner, you get the remainder of the 5 year, 60k bumper to bumper warranty. However, you lose the extended powertrain warranty of 10 years and 100k miles. If you buy certified pre-owned from a Hyundai dealer, you DO get the 10 year / 100k powertrain warranty.

The car I found was weird because they were selling it as used due to the mileage but because it had never actually been sold, the warranty hadn't started, so I get the full warranty from the time I bought it. I just got lucky on cars.com or cargurus.com, I forget which site.
Interesting, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I can see the appeal! Looks like there are some actual performance upgrades too. I tend to be a sedan guy but maybe worth a try.

Unfortunately my lease ends in 6 days! So unless I buy a beater to use for a little while, decisions will have to be made quickly.

The warranty for used Hyundai is 5/60, if it's a certified Hyundai from a Hyundai dealer they might give you the 10/100.

·
Registered
1 Posts
dude I just bought a 17 (non-premium)....don't regret it one bit, the looks alone sold me and Hyundai does have good warranty attached to their used cars as well

-iLL Matix

1 - 20 of 35 Posts