Elantra Sport Forum banner

Should I buy a used 17/18 or new 19?

11K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  ES2020Maine 
#1 · (Edited)
Like many, I prefer the design of the 17/18. I don't think the 19 is particularly horrible like some users (my main problem is the wheels, which of course can be replaced). But then when I go back to the 17/18, I also much much prefer the design of the grille and the back.

The only 17s or 18s I can find anywhere near me/deliverable to me have prices between 17k-18k with miles around 10k-30k. Shouldn't these cars have depreciated more buy now? I thought Hyundai didn't keep value like Honda/Toyota yet.

I feel I can get a new 2019 for that price, or close to it. And then you can get the new car warranty. Is anyone else out there struggling with this kind of decision?

#15 ·
I can see the appeal! Looks like there are some actual performance upgrades too. I tend to be a sedan guy but maybe worth a try.

Or wait for the Kia Forte GT and then decide, which one do you like more. GT N-line and Forte GT do have many safety features that the 17/18 models are not equipped with.
Unfortunately my lease ends in 6 days! So unless I buy a beater to use for a little while, decisions will have to be made quickly.

I was just faced with this decision a couple weeks ago. The used 17-18's are rare as you noticed, and aren't depreciating much for whatever reason (good news for us in the long-term). I sort of gave up on finding a nice used one and hit the local dealers. The best quote I was able to get for a new 2019 ES base was 19,700. I went as far as putting a $500 deposit on one. It didn't feel good -- it felt like I was definitely settling.

I went home, slept on it, and decided the next morning there was NO WAY I could stare at that freak show Pokemon face on the 2019 for 5+ years of my life. I was going to find myself a euro-style Audi S3 looking 17-18 beauty and I was going to drive as far as I needed to make it happen. I was able to find a "manager demo" 2018 with 8,500k miles on it left over from last year that the sales manager was using as his personal vehicle. They wanted $20,999 for it and I was able to talk them down to $17,900. Then I got my $500 deposit back for the 2019 and have lived happily ever after.

So do not despair, my friends: if you are willing to work for it, you can achieve the dream of owning an Elantra Sport that doesn't hurt your eyes. You'll have to drive further and make more phone calls than the guy who can tolerate a 2019. The best things in life don't come easy.
**** dude this is legit inspirational. What's the warranty deal with used ones? Anything at all? There are a few I can get my hands on (expensive services like carvana or vroom) for around that price. How did you find the sales manager car by the way?

#8 ·
Dealers that do that will never get my business. Just plain taking advantage of people. I've seen someone say their dealer has 5 on the lot. It's not a rare car and shouldn't be treated as such...

#10 ·
Looks like you can't get the tech package with a GT N-Line with a manual transmission.

Personally I'd try to look for a 17/18 ES certified pre-owned, but like Feared#87 says, the ES is fairly difficult to find - especially with a M/T and even more so with the premium pkg.

#14 ·
I was just faced with this decision a couple weeks ago. The used 17-18's are rare as you noticed, and aren't depreciating much for whatever reason (good news for us in the long-term). I sort of gave up on finding a nice used one and hit the local dealers. The best quote I was able to get for a new 2019 ES base was 19,700. I went as far as putting a $500 deposit on one. It didn't feel good -- it felt like I was definitely settling.

I went home, slept on it, and decided the next morning there was NO WAY I could stare at that freak show Pokemon face on the 2019 for 5+ years of my life. I was going to find myself a euro-style Audi S3 looking 17-18 beauty and I was going to drive as far as I needed to make it happen. I was able to find a "manager demo" 2018 with 8,500k miles on it left over from last year that the sales manager was using as his personal vehicle. They wanted $20,999 for it and I was able to talk them down to $17,900. Then I got my $500 deposit back for the 2019 and have lived happily ever after.

So do not despair, my friends: if you are willing to work for it, you can achieve the dream of owning an Elantra Sport that doesn't hurt your eyes. You'll have to drive further and make more phone calls than the guy who can tolerate a 2019. The best things in life don't come easy.

#33 ·
That’s a pretty cool story and I’m glad you got what you wanted. I got t-boned exiting a rotary with my white Elantra 2013 and the safety features kicked in to keep me from slamming my head through the driver side window.
It was days later I decided I’d stay with Hyundai but wanted something faster. I checked online and got to searching. I literally went to a Hyundai dealership 45 min away that had a black Limited and was about to get that when I saw the current one I have. 2018 ES Black and I fell in love. It does really look good. I’ve begun my conquest of making it mine through purely cosmetics at the moment and after warranties are gone, I’ll begin the true modifications. Not sure why I told this tale but I do think Hyundai’s are great and I haven’t ran into any problems with mine. Except prev. owner managed to make it smell like smoke in 17,000 miles. Feels bad. Working on that.
Like many, I prefer the design of the 17/18. I don't think the 19 is particularly horrible like some users (my main problem is the wheels, which of course can be replaced). But then when I go back to the 17/18, I also much much prefer the design of the grille and the back.

The only 17s or 18s I can find anywhere near me/deliverable to me have prices between 17k-18k with miles around 10k-30k. Shouldn't these cars have depreciated more buy now? I thought Hyundai didn't keep value like Honda/Toyota yet.

I feel I can get a new 2019 for that price, or close to it. And then you can get the new car warranty. Is anyone else out there struggling with this kind of decision?

I got t-boned exiting a rotary with my first car. It was a white Elantra 2013 base model and the safety features kicked in to keep me from slamming my head through the driver side window. Car was totaled :(

It was days later I decided I’d stay with Hyundai but wanted something faster and black. I checked online and got to searching. I literally went to a Hyundai dealership 45 min away that had a black Limited and was about to get that when I saw the current one I have, sitting right next to it. 2018 ES in Black and I fell in love. It does really look good. I’ve begun my conquest of making it mine through purely cosmetic adjustments at the moment and after warranties are gone, I’ll begin the true modifications. Not sure why I told this tale but I do think Hyundai’s are great and this 2018 ES is fantastic. I haven’t ran into any problems with mine. Except prev. owner managed to make it smell like smoke in 17,000 miles. Feels bad. Working on that.

#22 ·
Too many people think Hyundai has poor resale but it isn't true. If you are paying $3k less on a comparable equipped Honda, then at resale you should expect the car to be worth $3k less at trade in. Residuals have been steadily rising since '12 and people keep their cars longer cause of the warranty. Top of the range of any brand have higher depreciation rate than lower trims.

#23 · (Edited)
Long time lurker, I'm looking at some used ESs now. Coming from a 09 Corolla XRS that I've had for 12 years, I didn't really like the 2019 ES restyle, but love the 2017-18 style, having rented plenty of regular Elantras for work and also helping my cousin buy a 2017 SE as well.

I just went to Carmax today to test drive, and I'm sure I'm fine with it, but CM's asking price for a Molten Silver ES 6 speed with the PP is $19k & 19K on the odo (lease return). Another dealer in LA has a 2017 ES lease return in Gray also PP but CPO asking $17K and 21K miles ish.

I do like the silver one I drove today, but the other one in LA sounds like a better deal with the CPO warranty. However, I'm most likely going to re-fi my house, so not sure if I want to pull the trigger yet, also given the current COVID thing affecting everything now.

#25 ·
IMHO I would do the re-fi first. Actually, I'd eliminate all debt as highest priority - period. Who knows how long this COVID thing will last.

But yeah, I'd go for a CPO 17/18 over a 19 any day. The new Elantra announced yesterday looks interesting!

#27 ·
I paid $19,345 for a new one in 2017. Autotrader has one in black at Palm Springs Hyundai for $15,500 with 16k miles.
Yeah, I did see that one on AT, but it is a base model, I gotta have the moonroof and black is the last color I want, so its either a 2018 or 2017 with the PP. The other one for $17K is at Puente Hills Hyundai.
IMHO I would do the re-fi first. Actually, I'd eliminate all debt as highest priority - period. Who knows how long this COVID thing will last.

But yeah, I'd go for a CPO 17/18 over a 19 any day. The new Elantra announced yesterday looks interesting!
Yeah definitely with the world going on today, I want to worry about the re-fi first. I don't think the one at Carmax will sell at $19K, so hopefully it will sit there longer and go down in price, since I've been tracking it since the end of last year and was able to transfer it to my local CM as it was a Nor Cal vehicle that was sold in its dealers up there.

#26 · (Edited)
i'm coming from a 13' veloster, which i loved. But this 18' elantra sport is one of the best cars I've driven. I can't afford audis and bmws, let alone maintence and insurance. so, i'm relegated (and trust) the main 3: toyota, honda, and hyundai. The interiors on both hyundai was excellent. even the tucsons and santa fe's are awesome looking and drive great.

shifting with this DCT is A M A Z I N G compared to the TC in my auto veloster. It is ridiculously quick to shift, barely feeling it, and pushes me back in my seat in 2nd, third gear, every time. handling is night and day with the rear independent suspension.

I was almost going to get a 6 cylinder camry, but glad I didn't as i just can let go of the compact car.

#28 ·

Quick thoughts: 1) the 2019 is much easier to look at than a lower version of the Elantra imho. 2) 2019+ come with lane keep assist and blinds spot detection (I could be wrong, but I think BDS was limited to the limited trim? 🤔). Other than that, the guts are all the same... Except the floor mats... Ask me how I know 😉.

End of the day, you can't go wrong with either! Cheers, brother! 🍻

#29 ·
Quick thoughts: 1) the 2019 is much easier to look at than a lower version of the Elantra imho. 2) 2019+ come with lane keep assist and blinds spot detection (I could be wrong, but I think BDS was limited to the limited trim? 🤔). Other than that, the guts are all the same... Except the floor mats... Ask me how I know 😉.

End of the day, you can't go wrong with either! Cheers, brother! 🍻
**By "lower version", I'm referring to trim level, not year. Don't know how I missed that potential fire starter 🔥🤣

#34 ·
Long story short, one of my previous vehicles was a GMC Envoy Denali. Had a problem with the fan for the heater that resulted in the damn think filling the car with smoke from melting rubber (yeah.... That was fun... 🤔).

To get rid of the smell, I tried everything there was, but the one thing that really worked was the "bomb" style air freshener like this one: Robot Check.

Give her a try. It'll probably work for ya. 🍻

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.