Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Elantra Sport 6MT Electric Blue
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EPA situation:

I'm not even sure if a tuning service is near me here in San Diego CA but I will research. From what I understand, CA is so strict with emissions tests that things like catch cans and other stuff violate stuff. Also I also flip flop on the opinion on whether aftermarket intakes really help or are just expensive noise makers. I know the above video is about exhausts and some other types of mods but I am still torn on going forward with any bolt ons of any kind to avoid future headaches (emissions, etc). Even if I feel like I have money to burn, should I consider getting any sort of reputable modest tune on my stock car here in CA? I don't even know if the most modest stock tune still requires catch cans. If not, I would assume colder plugs, EBCS upgrade, etc. are needed. Even if I went forward, are there still some mods that I theoretically still have and pass emissions in this state? I'm not so knowledgable on things like up pipes, down pipes, etc and if these mods are also in the EPA's target sights or not.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Well, with a flash tune they won't really be able to tell because the OBD system functions as normal. Doubt they would be able to tell if the EBCS isn't stock. Ditto on intercooler and/or piping assuming it is made to look stock. (matte black coating on the pipes for example) IMO a catch can is better for emissions as you're not burning up the contents, but still an environmental hazard as it needs to be dumped like used oil. So it just comes down to intake and exhaust. SXTH said they will be working on getting some of their stuff CARB certified soon. But it can be a lengthy process.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, with a flash tune they won't really be able to tell because the OBD system functions as normal. Doubt they would be able to tell if the EBCS isn't stock. Ditto on intercooler and/or piping assuming it is made to look stock. (matte black coating on the pipes for example) IMO a catch can is better for emissions as you're not burning up the contents, but still an environmental hazard as it needs to be dumped like used oil. So it just comes down to intake and exhaust. SXTH said they will be working on getting some of their stuff CARB certified soon. But it can be a lengthy process.
Thanks man I always appreciate the awesome help you provide on this site over the years. I agree about catch cans but from what I understand here in CA catch cans will fail a visual inspection (I asked a smog shop a while back). im wondering if things like intercooler upgrades along with a mild tune (again i'm not sure if available without catch cans) are wise with stock intake and exhaust haha.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Since I can't move out of California anytime soon, I don't bother with engine modding at all.

Reactions: got-rice and kenssd

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Thanks man I always appreciate the awesome help you provide on this site over the years. I agree about catch cans but from what I understand here in CA catch cans will fail a visual inspection (I asked a smog shop a while back). im wondering if things like intercooler upgrades along with a mild tune (again i'm not sure if available without catch cans) are wise with stock intake and exhaust haha.
A completely stock car can still benefit from a tune. Plugs, better oil and catch can recommended. You could remove the cans before inspection.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder if I'm stressing too much about inspections because isn't a new car exempt from smog tests for like the first 8 years with smog abatement fees?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I was offered an opportunity to work for Tesla in California this week and I basically turned it down because California. Too expensive, and I spent too much time and effort getting my car to where I have it, just to remove everything because of strict laws about customizing cars. No thanks. I told him when a position opens up at their factory in Texas, I'll be interested.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Since I can't move out of California anytime soon, I don't bother with engine modding at all.
Yea I think I'll have the same mindset due to CA lameness. Maybe because of my age, I am actually content with the cars power and sound stock. I turn off traction control and definitely feel a difference anyway. Also I have a pedal throttle controller that adds a little fun here and there. Nowadays I use it sparingly and I hope I'm not messing anything up lol. I also spoke with a shop in town yesterday and they said even upgrading the EBCS can fail a visual test of a smog inspection but that most small places probably never even look. Just more evidence of the strictness here.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It’s 6 years. Your first smog is in 2024. My 2017’s first is in 2023.
yea it's quite a ways a way thanks for the info. in the meantime, would there still be risks from checkpoints on the roads that I hear about? I've never seen or been in one. What kind of mods are looked at in these said checkpoints?

·
Registered
373 Posts
yea it's quite a ways a way thanks for the info. in the meantime, would there still be risks from checkpoints on the roads that I hear about? I've never seen or been in one. What kind of mods are looked at in these said checkpoints?
I'm in your area (Murrieta), and we get registration/insurance checkpoints as a premise for DUI/immigration lookovers. I've been pulled over for speeding in my unmuffled Elantra with no mention of it from CHP.

There's a Hyundai tuner in Hesperia, 3.8 performance. They have the 1.6T listed in their tuning options, but it's for the Veloster only; couldn't hurt to check in with them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm in your area (Murrieta), and we get registration/insurance checkpoints as a premise for DUI/immigration lookovers. I've been pulled over for speeding in my unmuffled Elantra with no mention of it from CHP.

There's a Hyundai tuner in Hesperia, 3.8 performance. They have the 1.6T listed in their tuning options, but it's for the Veloster only; couldn't hurt to check in with them.
hey thanks for the info. so far I haven't really fully researched tuners here in San Diego but I would consider neighboring counties. I know a few people who have driven a few hours away for their tunes on different makes and models

·
Registered
124 Posts

KDM Tuners is in Corona...I'm in the Central Valley area, and its almost like the last 'affordable' area in the state to live in.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was offered an opportunity to work for Tesla in California this week and I basically turned it down because California. Too expensive, and I spent too much time and effort getting my car to where I have it, just to remove everything because of strict laws about customizing cars. No thanks. I told him when a position opens up at their factory in Texas, I'll be interested.
I think you told me you were holding out for Tesla, thought you would want to work for one of their service centers. Any other OEMs you could work for in the Valley? Actually, I was looking at taking a job with one of the self driving car companies, but the job wasn't what I wanted to do for a long period of time (They have been canning most of their drivers since most of their vans can operate without drivers picking up folks in the South Valley).

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I think you told me you were holding out for Tesla, thought you would want to work for one of their service centers. Any other OEMs you could work for in the Valley? Actually, I was looking at taking a job with one of the self driving car companies, but the job wasn't what I wanted to do for a long period of time (They have been canning most of their drivers since most of their vans can operate without drivers picking up folks in the South Valley).
I'm holding out for a job at the Tesla plant in Austin.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts