Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Just got my 2018 Elantra Sport about three weeks ago. When I'm either sitting at a stop light or sitting in a parking lot and turn on any of the map/dome/vanity mirror lights while the car is running and idling I've noticed a bit of flicker going on. If I give the car a little gas it goes away. Has anyone else noticed this with their car?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have high-quality LEDs in my interior and notice a bit of flickering once in a while as you describe. It's when a light is turned on while idling in a parking lot or drive thru. I haven't tried revving to see if it stops it, but I would say it's normal operation. When idling the RPMs can drop very low and the regulator/alternator may not be getting enough continuous power to the interior system controlling lights because it's sending a lot of needed electrical power to the ignition system, fuel pumps, and other high-consuming electrical components on the car.

I've heard of various things helping flickering lights like improving ground connections, replacing alternator, better battery, etc. I don't know how many miles you have but I would doubt the alternator is already bad, but then again, maybe we should both have ours tested. I'm not personally worried unless there are other electrical issues. Flickering interior lights isn't enough for me to chase a problem yet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My map/dome lights flicker at idle as well. Its more noticeable when the alternator isnt being taxed by the HVAC system (meaning fan and AC are off, and thus the idle is low). I think its just the nature of small, low powered alts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts