Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks - after a little over four years of ownership I decided to sell the ES to Carvana and get something else. I really had to think long and hard about it because the ES has been absolutely rock solid. IMHO, the 6th gen ES in sport trim is by far the best looking Elantra - and that includes the upcoming Elantra N.

As you know, the used car market is just crazy right now and Carvana offered me more than what I paid for the ES four years ago. So much for the dreaded Hyundai depreciation lol. I know I could have probably got even more if I sold it myself via craigslist or something, but Carvana is just so darn convenient. They just came by, did a quick lookover, sign a couple of papers and then handed them the title and keys and I got a check - easy-peasy. I'm convinced they will turn around and sell it for $26k or something like that lol. If you see an Electric Blue 2017 ES w/ the premium pkg in 6MT w/ less than 22k miles and two owners in carfax where one of them is Hyundai (corporate fleet vehicle), that's likely mine.

I was averaging under 4k miles a year. Now that I've been working exclusively from home the past 1.5 years (and not seeing that change anytime soon, if ever) I was looking for a more "fun" vehicle that can do family duties if needed and be had in a manual transmission. My Polestar wagon does great in this respect but it is an auto (although a pretty darn good 8sp auto with lovely rev-matched downshifts). Given that there's no wagons in MT that are performance-oriented made in the last five years or so, I looked at hot hatches. In the end, I got another Hyundai - a used 2021 Veloster N in Performance Blue w/ MT. I like the new "Sport Light" seats they put in for 2021 along with factory navigation and safety tech (like rear cross traffic alert which is very handy). The VN is actually a lot like the ES but just taken to next level - if you can appreciate the design language.

I'm still waiting for the VN to be delivered (hopefully this weekend). I'm thankful I was able to negotiate below MSRP on this used vehicle, but still had to pay tax and shipping. I test drove a 2022 VN w/ the MT locally, but the dealership has a $6k markup (asking $40k). Most dealerships are doing this (unsurprisingly so given the market). Finding a 2021+ VN in performance blue with MT is very scarce - autotrader currently shows only three available in the entire United States, one of which is the one I test drove.

The other reason why I purchased this specific one was because it has some nice aftermarket bits already installed - no engine mods, just some nice wheels, camber arms, and a proper alignment.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

It's been great being a (quiet) member on this board. I'm in Silicon Valley and I have probably seen 3-4 ESes during my entire ownership period. These are not common at all and I get excited when I see one in the wild lol. I don't do social media, but I plan to post at velostern.com once I finally get my VN.

Shout out to my fellow KDM owners!

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport DCT w/TECH
323 Posts
Sounds like you made a proper educated purchase Mightar. Let us know once you drove VN for a bit. You didn't want a bit faster acceleration times with the new wet DCT?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Can't blame you for taking advantage of the good residuals right now...it seems that many ES owners upgraded to a VN for better performance. Where did you get your new VN? Even the 2021s were not heavily discounted, so getting something limited such as a VN is worth it in this current marketplace.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
@GsiTurbo - I value the engagement that an MT offers over acceleration metrics. IMHO if someone really cares about absolute acceleration metrics, just get an electric car. Personally for me, I find that electric cars have the emotional connection of an appliance...

@got-rice - I bought it used off a private owner and negotiated the price below MSRP. In this market, it would be very difficult to do that with a dealership. The local Hyundai dealership near me has 1 of 3 available Veloster Ns in Performance Blue with the MT in the entire United States. They're asking $40k for it. Needless to say, I skipped it and I'm glad I did.

In this market, it is great if you're selling. If you're buying, you just have to be patient and have a bit of luck - depending on what model vehicle you're looking for.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I find that electric cars have the emotional connection of an appliance...
I agree to a point, but the instant torque is fairly addicting. And there were a couple Model 3's out at the autocross over the weekend and they were flying. Times close to cars running slicks that were trailered in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts