Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

for the second time I have taken my 18 Elantra Sport to the service dealer because of trouble starting up sometimes and now the engine oil smells like fuel(you cannot smell the oil in it and & people who I told them to smell it thought it was fuel and didn't believe it was oil until I took it out of it and showed it to them) & my fuel economy has seriously TANKED. Wednesday I filled up the tank and since them I have driven 206 miles and my tank is already at only 1/4 fuel remaining when I used to get 300+ miles before I hit 1/4 of a tank. Idk what to do at this point, I feel like the service center just thinks im joking but im extremely upset. I bought hyundai because people were saying they were reliable and the warranty but all I keep getting is bad service and my car just keeps getting worse.

·
Registered
19 Posts
While you wait for the dealer, do yourself a favor and send in a sample of the oil to get it analyzed. I've used BlackStone in the past. Write down a note that you smell gas in the oil and that your mpg went down dramatically.

Somehow your gas is getting into the oil. The only way for that to happen is unburnt fuel from the combustion chamber some how makes its way down the side of the piston and down to the crank case. But even if that were the case, a lot has to leak down for the oil to smell like gasoline.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While you wait for the dealer, do yourself a favor and send in a sample of the oil to get it analyzed. I've used BlackStone in the past. Write down a note that you smell gas in the oil and that your mpg went down dramatically.

Somehow your gas is getting into the oil. The only way for that to happen is unburnt fuel from the combustion chamber some how makes its way down the side of the piston and down to the crank case. But even if that were the case, a lot has to leak down for the oil to smell like gasoline.
i already ordered the oil test from that company from reading online. is it ok for me to do an oil change and just save a bottle for when the kit comes ? Or should I try and wait for the kit to arrive? I'm kind of concerned for the health of my engine and I need my car for work.

I know it might sound crazy but I'm not kidding when I say it doesn't even smell like oil. My uncle is a mechanic and I took a some oil and put it on a napkin and showed to him and he thought it was fuel and went like wtf when I told him it was oil.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If I were you, I would drain a bottle of oil and keep it at home. When the kit comes in, send it in the lab for testing. At the same time, I would call Hyundai and tell them to come tow the car because it is unsafe to drive. Let them know you drained a few ounces of oil and already sent it in to a lab for testing. That should get their attention real fast. Tell them you will need a loaner car while they figure out how gasoline gets leaked into the oil pan.

I personally would NOT change the oil myself. I wouldn't want the engine to blow up and have Hyundai somehow blame me. I also would NOT drive the car any longer as it can potentially cause a lot of damage as the lubrication of the motor oil has been compromised.

By doing this you're:
1. Documented that there is gasoline in your oil and an unbiased third party (BlackStone) verified it.
2. Proved that you did not drive the vehicle once you were aware of the issue

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I were you, I would drain a bottle of oil and keep it at home. When the kit comes in, send it in the lab for testing. At the same time, I would call Hyundai and tell them to come tow the car because it is unsafe to drive. Let them know you drained a few ounces of oil and already sent it in to a lab for testing. That should get their attention real fast. Tell them you will need a loaner car while they figure out how gasoline gets leaked into the oil pan.

I personally would NOT change the oil myself. I wouldn't want the engine to blow up and have Hyundai somehow blame me. I also would NOT drive the car any longer as it can potentially cause a lot of damage as the lubrication of the motor oil has been compromised.

By doing this you're:
1. Documented that there is gasoline in your oil and an unbiased third party (BlackStone) verified it.
2. Proved that you did not drive the vehicle once you were aware of the issue

I will go ahead and save a bottle of oil for the kit, as far as the car goes im gonna try and contact the dealer I bought it from and see if they want to tow it to check it as they got a WAY WAY WAY better reputation than all the dealers closest to me.

Thank you, ill update the thread once I got something new.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The 2017 - 2018 Honda CR-Vs have this same problem. There are lots of posts about that on CR-V forums. You can also search youtube on the CR-V issue as it seems to be a common issue. What does the CR-V and our ES have in common? Both have small direct injected motor with turbo.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Sometimes. My commute to work is 18miles. 5 days a week. I think the cause for me was putting too much oil. I put 4.8 quarts instead of 4.2 quarts. I hope it changes when I drain the extra out.
I barely use 4 quarts and that's even with filling up the filter before installing it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sometimes. My commute to work is 18miles. 5 days a week. I think the cause for me was putting too much oil. I put 4.8 quarts instead of 4.2 quarts. I hope it changes when I drain the extra out.
I barely use 4 quarts and that's even with filling up the filter before installing it.
Yeah I’m an idiot for sure. I read 4.2qts in the forum but in the manual it says 4.76 qts. Made the wrong choice and followed the manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah I’m an idiot for sure. I read 4.2qts in the forum but in the manual it says 4.76 qts. Made the wrong choice and followed the manual.
Overfilling isn't good, but I haven't read anywhere that it causes gas in oil. From doing some digging, on other cars it is generally caused by leaking injectors or a bad fuel pressure regulator. Do you use a remote start and let it idle a lot? I've seen comments about our cars being slow to warm up so maybe that is related. Regardless, I would get it looked at ASAP and let us know what the shop says.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Overfilling isn't good, but I haven't read anywhere that it causes gas in oil. From doing some digging, on other cars it is generally caused by leaking injectors or a bad fuel pressure regulator. Do you use a remote start and let it idle a lot? I've seen comments about our cars being slow to warm up so maybe that is related. Regardless, I would get it looked at ASAP and let us know what the shop says.
GDI cars are notorious for fuel in the oil. Especially the 1.6 in our cars. Obviously excess fuel is something to be concerned about, but a little is just how it is. Hence why it's recommended to go no more than 5k miles between oil changes. The further you go the more fuel gets added and starts to thin out the oil.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Overfilling isn't good, but I haven't read anywhere that it causes gas in oil. From doing some digging, on other cars it is generally caused by leaking injectors or a bad fuel
pressure regulator. Do you use a remote start and let it idle a lot? I've seen comments about our cars being slow to warm up so maybe that is related. Regardless, I would get it looked at ASAP and let us know what the shop says.
Unfortunately I do not have remote start, and yes I agree it does take forever to warm up and if I do not let it warm up properly, I can feel the engine and it’s rough unless I do perfect shifts at 2,000 rpm. I took out the extra oil and it seems the fuel range has gotten better but I’ll know for sure with time.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I switched to Pennzoil Platinum 5W30(new formula w/ API SN PLUS) since last 3 oil change. We just had below 0C at these few days. I noticed it's better to warm up and more quiet during startup in the morning and on the outside parking lot (-10C). Also switched the OEM oil filter together to Fram Ultra too.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I switched to Pennzoil Platinum 5W30(new formula w/ API SN PLUS) since last 3 oil change. We just had below 0C at these few days. I noticed it's better to warm up and more quiet during startup in the morning and on the outside parking lot (-10C). Also switched the OEM oil filter together to Fram Ultra too.
OEM > everything else.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Overfilling isn't good, but I haven't read anywhere that it causes gas in oil. From doing some digging, on other cars it is generally caused by leaking injectors or a bad fuel
pressure regulator. Do you use a remote start and let it idle a lot? I've seen comments about our cars being slow to warm up so maybe that is related. Regardless, I would get it looked at ASAP and let us know what the shop says.
Unfortunately I do not have remote start, and yes I agree it does take forever to warm up and if I do not let it warm up properly, I can feel the engine and it’s rough unless I do perfect shifts at 2,000 rpm. I took out the extra oil and it seems the fuel range has gotten better but I’ll know for sure with time.
My ES warms up pretty fast. I don't rev it pass 2.5k and it heats up good... Faster than my wife's Camry.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.