Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
The OEM NGK plugs are only available through Hyundai, hence why they don't show on NGK's website. There's another NGK suitable for replacement if you're in a pinch but I don't know which one it is. I think HKS 40's are also OK for stock tune.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
The OEM NGK plugs are only available through Hyundai, hence why they don't show on NGK's website. There's another NGK suitable for replacement if you're in a pinch but I don't know which one it is. I think HKS 40's are also OK for stock tune.
Correct - for stock tune HKS 40s.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Maybe I'm naive but not sure why anyone I've seen on here hasn't mentioned the Ruthenium plugs from NGK. There are also lots of different ideas on the change intervals for plugs that I've seen. Maybe there are different manuals out there, but mine says to replace the plugs every 21,000 miles on the severe service schedule (which is over 90% of drivers).

Anyways, I had to contact NGK to get the match in Ruthenium plugs for our cars. The Ruthenium plugs are engineered for performance and for Turbo and Supercharged applications. Supposedly they increase 0-60 times over Iridium plugs. I put them in my car, and I believe it's running better than the stock plugs. I'm on stock tune using premium fuel. I'm on my second set of the Ruthenium plugs (put first set in at 16K miles for performance and then changed them at 37K miles for maintenance). The heat range 7 plugs for stock tune are part number LKR7BHX and if you have a mild tune the heat range 8 plug is part number LKR8BHX-S. These plugs are an exact match to our stock plugs in every way except for the Ruthenium material instead of Iridium.

If you're like me and like to stick with OEM brands as much as you can and want a performance racing plug, there are NGK racing plugs in heat ranges 8 and 9 that match the specs we require for our cars. I don't have the part numbers off hand but NGK has a tool that allows you to put in the specs you want for a spark plug and will pull up all matches including their racing line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts