Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the stock spark plugs are platinum or iridium? Would be an easy additional HP is the stocks are platinum.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Agree with Voodoo, plugs need to be taken into account when you do tuning. Bolt on engine mods won't do much but once the bench tunes come in I expect that the tuners will recommend plugs.

Reactions: mccaslin0

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ask because in my old suzuki sx4 after adding plugs and running 89 octane I got an extra 5 hp.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
You're not getting "extra" horsepower. When you run 87 octane and stock plugs, the ECU will retard timing due to engine knock. This is a subtraction of power. So, when you run higher octane and colder plugs, you're getting the horsepower that the car is capable of doing with the stock "tune".

So, running lower octane/hotter plugs actually takes power away, running higher octane/colder plugs keeps it where it's supposed to be.

·
Registered
241 Posts
You're not getting "extra" horsepower. When you run 87 octane and stock plugs, the ECU will retard timing due to engine knock. This is a subtraction of power. So, when you run higher octane and colder plugs, you're getting the horsepower that the car is capable of doing with the stock "tune".

So, running lower octane/hotter plugs actually takes power away, running higher octane/colder plugs keeps it where it's supposed to be.
It would then still feel like 5 extra HP though. Don't get me wrong I get your point and you are 100% correct, but follow me on this. Hypothetical engine example Scenario: You have a 200hp engine, with stock plugs and 87 octane fuel you're only really getting 195hp, you move to 91 and cold plugs and now unleash the full 200hp.

It's going to feel like 5 more. Sure, you're not going from 200 to 205 granted, but there may be gains over bone stock to be felt there.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that's just semantics- your still gaining power if your going from 87 to 89 with colder plugs like you said. Semantics are stupid.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
Actually, semantics are extremely important. Words have definitions for a reason - it helps us communicate easily. Otherwise you might as well be two people speaking two different languages.

Fact: Lower octane means more knock means timing retardation means a subtraction of power.

Myth: Running higher octane adds power.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Interesting... Voodoo, correct me if I'm wrong... Hyundai is pitching that this car "runs fine on 87 octane" versus other brand turbo models indicating that advertised performance is obtained with premium fuel... Seems like they are playing a little advertising game, and that if you decide to run premium fuel in the ES, you would in theory "get back" the power you should have with this engine after the ecu adapts to the new fuel... If the ecu just maintains the same power no matter what grade of fuel you burn, that would mean its a waste of money to burn fuel that has an octane any higher than 87...

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
It still wouldn't be a waste of money because running higher octane fuel means fewer carbon deposits, which is a big deal with GDI motors. It's worth it just for the preventative maintenance benefits.

·
Registered
39 Posts
True. Not sure if its true or not but I read an article in Road & Track that gave the Elantra a Luke warm review. What was irritating to me is the amount of haters commenting that they wouldn't own a Hyundai just because of the name and that its Korean... Someone else was talking about how Hyundai was doing alot of warranty covered engine swaps for the Sonata, and something about catch cans blowing up? Didn't think they used catch cans, but it sounds like they should be with GDI engines. Toyota switched over to GDI also on the new Camry. Wonder if they use catch cans??

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so just to clarify, nobody knows if the ES uses iridium or platinum plugs stock?

·
Registered
32 Posts
so just to clarify, nobody knows if the ES uses iridium or platinum plugs stock?

mine are iridium, or at least that's what the lettering says on the stock plugs.... lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts