Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all... While I love my 2018 Elantra Sport, I confess to not being that much of a technical car guy... But I'm curious... what exactly does "Sport" mode do? I know it changes the gearing somehow, but I think I read somewhere that it also changes the handling and steering characteristics. Can anyone shed some light on that? Also, how often does everyone use it? It certainly increases the fun factor and I find myself popping it into that mode quite often. What are your likes and dislikes? Finally, is there any way to make it the default mode so that it stays on? Thanks for any and all replies! Jim

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
All it does is quicken the shifts slightly on the DCT and tightens up the steering a little.

Manual cars do not have Sport mode, but from what I gather we get the tighter steering standard.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I haven't noticed any change to the steering feel in sport mode, but what I can tell you is:
1.) It changes the behavior of the DCT. It will hold gears longer, fully engages the clutch quicker off the line, and shifts faster between gears.
2.) It changes the throttle response pretty drastically. Not sure if it's a change in tuning (air/fuel ratio, timing, etc.), the throttle position sensor, or a combination of the two. It definitely wakes the car up, but it also hurts the ol' pocket book if you are looking for best case MPG.

Reactions: Slingblade

·
Registered
53 Posts
It makes the steering heavier Forsure if you can’t feel that Idk what to tell you guys. The throttle is more responsive and if you leave it in drive it will almost never use 7th gear to keep the revs up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Definitely tightens steering, changes throttle response, and locks out gears 6/7 depending on speed. It always feels to me (I am not sure) that it dumps a lot of boost in normal mode. You have much more lag when you gun it than you do in sport for my car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Definitely tightens steering, changes throttle response, and locks out gears 6/7 depending on speed. It always feels to me (I am not sure) that it dumps a lot of boost in normal mode. You have much more lag when you gun it than you do in sport for my car.
I agree, I have driven around in sport mode but I realized the other day that I never really gunned it from the red light. The difference (my opinion only) was night and day, in normal I get some hesitation and some lag, sport mode seemed instant.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I checked my mileage using Fuelly and got 3 mpg less when using SPORT mode during an entire tank of gas, normal driving habits too, just thought I'd pass this along.

Reactions: faw872
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.