Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Start-Up Issues?

Anyone have trouble with their Elantra Sport not starting on the first try? My '17 has 3,500 miles on it and intermittently takes a second try to get it running. Either the engine immediately dies after the starter disengages, or it takes a few turnovers for it to fire off. This has happened 4 times (two times of each scenario), always after the car has been parked for an hour or two (never happens after sitting overnight).

Before this, the RPM used to fluctuate - almost flutter - for a few seconds when the car first started up in its high idle stage.I always assumed it was the A/C kicking in, but now this has turned into something serious.

Took it in to the dealer today, and they couldn't replicate the issue or find any stored codes. Recommended I drop it off when they have a service loaner available so they can consult Hyundai techs over the phone. Apparently that's the only way they will replace parts that haven't outright failed, as in my situation.

Has anyone had this issue, or have any ideas what's causing it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone have trouble with their Elantra Sport not starting on the first try? My '17 has 3,500 miles on it and intermittently takes a second try to get it running. Either the engine immediately dies after the starter disengages, or it takes a quite a few turnovers for it to fire off. This has happened 4 times (two times of each scenario), always after the car has been parked for an hour or two (never happens after sitting overnight).

Before this, the RPM used to fluctuate - almost flutter - for a few seconds when the car first started up in its high idle stage. I always assumed it was the A/C kicking in, but now this has turned into something serious.

Took it in to the dealer today, and they couldn't replicate the issue or find any stored codes. Recommended I drop it off when they have a service loaner available so they can consult Hyundai techs over the phone. Apparently that's the only way they will replace parts that haven't outright failed, as in my situation.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
it happens to me with the DCT if I shift the car into reverse too quickly after pushing the start button.
Give it a few seconds man! :p Especially if the engine is cold. I always cringe when people in my apartment start a completely cold car and immediately throw it in gear and drive away. :eek:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Give it a few seconds man! :p Especially if the engine is cold. I always cringe when people in my apartment start a completely cold car and immediately throw it in gear and drive away. :eek:
THIS^

Wait for your infotainment system to boot at the very least. That's like the minimum for me in any of my cars boosted or not.

10 seconds man. 10 whole seconds.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
THIS^

Wait for your infotainment system to boot at the very least. That's like the minimum for me in any of my cars boosted or not.

10 seconds man. 10 whole seconds.
If the engine is completely cold, I wait for the high idle stuff to finish, then throw it in gear and back out of the garage. Pretty much every other time I get in, start the car, put on my seat belt, hit Accept on the infotainment, make sure the music I want it rolling, then put it in gear and go. :cool:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Anyone have trouble with their Elantra Sport not starting on the first try? My '17 has 3,500 miles on it and intermittently takes a second try to get it running. Either the engine immediately dies after the starter disengages, or it takes a quite a few turnovers for it to fire off. This has happened 4 times (two times of each scenario), always after the car has been parked for an hour or two (never happens after sitting overnight).

Before this, the RPM used to fluctuate - almost flutter - for a few seconds when the car first started up in its high idle stage. I always assumed it was the A/C kicking in, but now this has turned into something serious.

I noticed my car takes an extra crank or two to start when it has been sitting for a while, but usually one or two hours won't cause this. I found that pressing the start button twice with your foot off the clutch/brake to place the car into the "ON" mode before starting helps. You can hear the in-tank pump kick on and I wait until it turns off before starting the car.

Let us know what you find!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I noticed my car takes an extra crank or two to start when it has been sitting for a while, but usually one or two hours won't cause this. I found that pressing the start button twice with your foot off the clutch/brake to place the car into the "ON" mode before starting helps. You can hear the in-tank pump kick on and I wait until it turns off before starting the car.

Let us know what you find!
^^This^^

I always press the start button twice and let the car do its system checks before I start it up and I have not had any issues and i have close to 9000KM.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wanted to bring this tread up again. Still have an issue with the car not wanting to fire off after a warm start. In more severe cases, the starter will run for about 5 seconds, disengage, and cycle again if the car hasn't started. In one case, the car maintained about 500 rpm between cycles. Really feel like I got a lemon here. Link to video of a weak start below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hnZUH8U8lv4nyOHHHDLyrOffzs8Ka0o4/view?usp=sharing

·
Registered
76 Posts
You've definitely got a legitimate issue - time for a dealer trip.

And yes, you should wait for the high idle to come down.. 20 seconds or so. Modern cars don't need to be warmed up but 20-30 seconds to establish oil flow is a good idea.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've noticed similar behavior with mine, as well. It's very infrequent, but when it occurs, the car will either take several seconds to start, or it will start, but only idle at around 500 RPM.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
And yes, you should wait for the high idle to come down.. 20 seconds or so. Modern cars don't need to be warmed up but 20-30 seconds to establish oil flow is a good idea.
I always cringe when I see people fire up a dead cold car and immediately throw it in gear and take off. :(

I've noticed similar behavior with mine, as well. It's very infrequent, but when it occurs, the car will either take several seconds to start, or it will start, but only idle at around 500 RPM.
Injector issue maybe.

·
Registered
105 Posts
For what it's worth, the owner's manual says to start your engine and drive away without beating on it. That's not what I do, but that is what the manual says.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem in my 2018 ES. Did some one found a solution?
Wanted to bring this tread up again. Still have an issue with the car not wanting to fire off after a warm start. In more severe cases, the starter will run for about 5 seconds, disengage, and cycle again if the car hasn't started. In one case, the car maintained about 500 rpm between cycles. Really feel like I got a lemon here. Link to video of a weak start below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hnZUH8U8lv4nyOHHHDLyrOffzs8Ka0o4/view?usp=sharing

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had this problem too. Have taken it to the dealership 4 times and every time they can’t duplicate the problem. I’ve reached out to Hyundai USA and I’m waiting for them to get back to me. Has anyone gotten an update?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everybody. I'm from Australia. We have the same issue here in Australia
with the new generation i30/Elantra Hatches. Equipped with the 1.6T Petrol.
There has been a fair bit of action from Hyundai Australia they had there dealerships equip affected cars with special de-loggers.
to send data back for analysis. but were all still waiting on the fix. Its happening to a fair few owners here in Australia.

The issues were having are very similar. It only happens during a warm start. You leave the car for a grocery run, you come
back after 30 mins to an hour the car will have trouble starting. You start the engine it just keeps cranking and fails to start,
the most often occurrence is the car will just keep cranking, until the engine starts usually at a low rpm around 500rpm.
A second attempt will always work.

Please refer to this link below.
https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=47537.0

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought my 2018 Elantra Sport with manual transmission in August 2018. I am having this same problem. When the car is cold, it starts fine. But if I have been driving it, let it sit for about an hour, then go to start it, it will crank and crank and crank. Sometimes it will start, but at a very slow idle and then stall out, and other times it will not start at all on the first try. When I try it a second time, it starts right up. You should not have to press the start button twice. No other cars do this. There is something wrong, and I suspect it is an issue with programming.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts