Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Bank-Of-Wife has authorized a stereo upgrade, as long as I don't do it all at once. My plan is front speakers, rear speakers, then an amp if I'm still not happy (my plan is not to be happy). I want to keep the stock head unit.

My first purchase arrived today, some Infinity REF-6530ex speakers for the front. When I got home from work I started surveying the car. Going by a YouTube video for a 2018 Elantra, I successfully removed the front door panel to survey the real estate.

The stock tweeter and main speaker are supplied by separate wires from the wire harness.

Is there any reason to think the base stereo has a crossover installed? My guess is no, so I'm going to install the included crossover from Infinity.

The REF-6530ex has a sensitivity of 93db, so it might be a decent upgrade.

I need to pick up some wire and connectors tomorrow, then I'll get started. As I progress I'll update this thread with photos. If anyone has a request for specific photos, let me know and I'll do my best.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Congrats on receiving authorization from the B.O.W., I’m also of thinking of upgrading the stock speakers but haven’t even submitted an application for approval yet 🙂 I’m very interested in your thoughts after upgrading the speakers themselves (without added amp/sub). I used to be into heavy bass systems back in the day but I’m more interested in a “premium sounding” system, when I purchased my ES only base packages were available in my area. Looking forward to seeing photos and hearing about your experience and feedback!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finished up the fronts yesterday. Here's a shot with the main speaker installed. The hole below and right of the speaker has a rubber plug in it. I drilled a hole in the plug to run the speaker wire through. I used Scosche adapter SAHY651 for the main speakers.

The tweeters were a little tougher. I ended up popping the stock tweeters out of their holder, then zip tied the new tweeters in. Here's a picture of that.

The crossover fit into a little space above the (I believe) window motor. It was a tighter fit on the drivers side, as the window motor has an additional connector on the top of it. I fastened both with industrial Velcro.

I'm glad I did this. The sound quality is ten times better, volume is increased by a good margin too. Mid and high range is stunning compared to stock, and bass is improved enough that I could turn down the tone a bit. I'll definitely be ordering the rear speakers ASAP.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zaximis

I was in the same boat when I got mine a couple months ago. Only base Sports with DCTs were available. I've never been an audiophile, so thought I could get by with the base stereo. My previous car was a Sonata Limited with the premium system and I underestimated the difference in sound quality.

Now I'm probably not going to get an amp. I used to crank the volume up to 75 or 80%. I don't think I turn it up much over 60% now. I primarily listen to jazz, new age, and classic rock. It's got plenty of bass for me now, but I'm guessing adding the rear speakers will add even more bass.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Install looks great and I’m glad to hear to are happy with the results! I was worried about where to place cross-overs so I’m happy to see they can be hidden within the doors. It sounds you got the same exact improvements in sound that I’m looking for. I also started to check out Infinity component systems. Was thinking of going with the Kappa series. For the rear doors are you going to go with another component set or just the 2 rear speakers (w/o cross overs)?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Infinity has a closely related coaxial speaker, the REF-6532ex. They should match very well sonically with the 6530ex. They're arriving today. I found a set for $75 (retail is $99), so the wife let me order the rears a little ahead of schedule.

Should only take an hour after work today to get them in. I'll post another report after a couple days with them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The speaker upgrade is an overwhelming success. Probably won't be adding an amp for some time, if at all. The improvement is amazing from the muddy sounding base speakers.

If you're on a budget, put your money into the front speakers. The rears fill out the sound a bit, but don't make nearly the difference that the fronts do.

Well, my Sxth Element downpipe is being delivered today. I'm off to a different forum after getting it installed.

Cheers

·
Registered
49 Posts
good info here. i find my 19 sound a bit lacking since its the base (don't get the tech package in Canada for some reason) and getting out of my santa fe with the oem infinity package into the ES is a bit of a let down if i feel like listening to tunes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2019 Value Edition Upgrade

I also recently ordered new door speakers and an amp, they will all come in tomorrow. I'm on the fence on whether or not to install the amp myself. I'll probably install the door speakers tomorrow after work so I'll see how big of an upgrade it makes for me. Does anyone on here have experience with adding a five channel amp.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I also recently ordered new door speakers and an amp, they will all come in tomorrow. I'm on the fence on whether or not to install the amp myself. I'll probably install the door speakers tomorrow after work so I'll see how big of an upgrade it makes for me. Does anyone on here have experience with adding a five channel amp.
Curious, which items did you purchase? So many different options out there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts