Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like I'm starting too many threads in this section and I hope it's not a sign. I mentioned this in another thread but it may not belong in there.

So, problem is, when the car sits for a bit (either over night or just long enough for me to run into a store for ~20 minutes) I'll clutch in, start the car, clutch out, get ready to go, clutch in, then put the car in reverse. As I slowly let the clutch out (to ride it enough to back the car out without using the throttle) the pedal will come up, up, up and then suddenly the clutch will engage with a kick. Feels like the slave is sticking and then suddenly releases.

Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I feel like I'm starting too many threads in this section and I hope it's not a sign. I mentioned this in another thread but it may not belong in there.

So, problem is, when the car sits for a bit (either over night or just long enough for me to run into a store for ~20 minutes) I'll clutch in, start the car, clutch out, get ready to go, clutch in, then put the car in reverse. As I slowly let the clutch out (to ride it enough to back the car out without using the throttle) the pedal will come up, up, up and then suddenly the clutch will engage with a kick. Feels like the slave is sticking and then suddenly releases.

Anyone else have this issue?
Do not have that here. The car is a little herky jerky when I first start it and back up but I think that is an engine fueling issue when in closed loop. Try to pump the the pedal a couple times before backing out and see if that changes anything.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It has automatic hill hold, which is especially aggressive in reverse, and cannot be turned off. Even slight inclines it will be on and takes a few moments with the clutch out to disengage. However, if this is happening on totally flat parking(seriously doesn't take much grade at all to be on), then maybe something is up with the brake hold?

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has automatic hill hold, which is especially aggressive in reverse, and cannot be turned off. Even slight inclines it will be on and takes a few moments with the clutch out to disengage. However, if this is happening on totally flat parking(seriously doesn't take much grade at all to be on), then maybe something is up with the brake hold?
Totally flat surface. I could leave the car in neutral with the brake off and it wouldn't go anywhere. My usual when parking is to leave the car in neutral and pull the parking brake.....unless I'm on a hill I will use the brake and put it in first gear.

·
Registered
92 Posts
the herky jerky you're talking is the richer fuel mixture on cold start to heat up the cat faster, with my exhaust it make nice pops and gurgles sound :D

but for question, no I didn't feel this on my ES but it happen often here, under -30 the clutch fluid isn't that "fluid" anymore lol but I'm pretty sure temperature isn't your problem

·
Registered
140 Posts
Totally flat surface. I could leave the car in neutral with the brake off and it wouldn't go anywhere. My usual when parking is to leave the car in neutral and pull the parking brake.....unless I'm on a hill I will use the brake and put it in first gear.
Interesting, same basic routine as me, and almost never use 1st gear parks. I park on a decent grade hill at home too. It's kind of a bad habit I know, as the one time I'll forget I actually left it in gear, and do the usual startup, and end up dumping the clutch after it fires up at 6:00am all sleepy like, lol. So far not yet though.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts