Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I really like the stock rims that came with the vehicle, subtle yet sporty. A few days ago my Fiance said quickly and out of the blue you should dip them black. It got me thinking, has anyone done this and what are the thoughts on dipping them black. If anyone has any pics of the stock wheels dipped, please share. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Several have done it. I'd say it's entirely up to you if you want to do it. Best part about dipping is that you can peel it off if you don't like it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd think paint would be more durable on the wheels. Never seen anyone hydro-dip (think that's what it's called) before.
Yeah I sourced it a while back on a completely different vehicle. From a cost and P.I.T.A. standpoint the perm option is harder logistically (Removing all the wheels at once) vs just Plasti-dipping them. Now that I type this I am thinking of just spraying them, your right I could completely hate it and then I can just remove it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Its a personal choice, you will be looking at it every day and, if it matters what others think, you would be just guessing about that. Based on comments in car forums and my own thoughts, there are some widely varied opinions out there.

To me this dark wheel trend that seems to be happening lately makes a car look like it has steelies on, you know, the wheels people who don't care about appearance put snow tires on to get through winter and can't even be bothered putting on wheel covers...lol. It cheapens the car. Just my opinion. On the other hand, it seems to be a trend that some manufacturers are creating with new cars, so a bunch of people must love it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I dipped my stock AU spec rims (17" different style) black and then 2 coats of glossifer too, took 1.5-2 hours and looks ok, not amazing. Black dipped rims is a bit overdone IMO. Also mustn't have gotten a perfect clean in some spots becuase it's already peeling, ahh well was cheap and well worth the experiment. I'll wait till they actually look shabby to take the dip off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dipped my stock AU spec rims (17" different style) black and then 2 coats of glossifer too, took 1.5-2 hours and looks ok, not amazing. Black dipped rims is a bit overdone IMO. Also mustn't have gotten a perfect clean in some spots becuase it's already peeling, ahh well was cheap and well worth the experiment. I'll wait till they actually look shabby to take the dip off.
Any pics??

·
Registered
66 Posts
Looks good mate. Black on white looks nice and clean

Reactions: birdman

·
Registered
248 Posts
Looks good mate. Black on white looks nice and clean
Fits the old quote I like to use, far from perfect but perfect from afar.

I may try and fix up where shes currently peeling or when it gets bad tear it off and go again from scratch knowing what I know now. I've dipped things before, but never wheels when on a car, I watched a lot of videos first but sometimes you just have to learn from your mistakes.

Also fully intend to black out the chrome trim and a few other bits and bobs around the car with the vinyl and pasti-dip I already own, my issue is that with an 8-month old, I'm time poor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts