Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new on the forum and I just purchased my new Elantra Sport. I was wondering is any of you have change the stock tire 225/40/R18 to another size like 235/40/R18 or 245/40/R18 and keeping the OEM 18'' wheel?

if any of you have it done. Did you notice any robbing or better handling, more grip?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Wider tires will obviously add more grip. But it all comes down to which kind of tire. If you keep the stock suspension, 235's will be no problem. Can't comment on 245 on the stock wheel.

I have 235/40 right now on a 18x8 and will be going to a 245/40 soon. I rub like crazy but I'm pretty low on coilovers. (raising the car soon though)

·
Registered
131 Posts
245 will be pinched past the point of getting much benefit from the extra width. A 235 "technically" is pinched as well on a 7.5" wheel, but many do it. I will as well on me next set.

·
Registered
46 Posts
245 will be pinched past the point of getting much benefit from the extra width. A 235 "technically" is pinched as well on a 7.5" wheel, but many do it. I will as well on me next set.
Same here. 225/40 is the maximum recommended width/profile by almost all tire manufacturers on the stock ES rims. But I think I saw some tire manufacturer (or was it Discount Tire?) recommend as far as 235/40. I may go for 235/40 PS4 my next set but still on the fence right now. There's still time to read more up on this. My only concern is that the beads should not roll off the rims on cornering due to extra width.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have 235 Nitto NT555 G2s on mine. I like the way it looks almost more than I like the handling, but the grip is exceptional.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I currently have the stock 225/40Z R18. Have a chance to get a set of 245/40Z R18 for free.... wheels and tires. Will these fit? new to the ESGT world. Any input appreciated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
A 245 on a 7.5" wide wheel doesn't seem like the best idea, but you shouldn't have any fitment issues.
Thanks. Since this deal would be for both wheels and tires, I was more concerned with the rims clearing the calipers and no rubbing issues. I live in Northeast PA and want to have separate snow tires that I can throw on myself when needed. It would be nice to find some cheap stell ones just for winter driving but not having much luck here.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Thanks. Since this deal would be for both wheels and tires, I was more concerned with the rims clearing the calipers and no rubbing issues. I live in Northeast PA and want to have separate snow tires that I can throw on myself when needed. It would be nice to find some cheap stell ones just for winter driving but not having much luck here.
If they are the stock Elantra GT wheels, won't be any issues with the calipers. If they are OEM wheels for another car, cannot guarantee. The offset is almost always stamped on the back of the wheel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts