Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty happy to report that my stock tires are performing incredibly well in the snow and slushy slippery conditions dumped thus far. I have had no issues with traction starting or stopping and corners are no issues. Combined with the traction and stability control systems on our vehicles, I'm feeling pretty confident that I'll be in no rush for winter tires and rims... If at all?

Anyone else running stock tires this winter? Share your feedback or comments!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Is it Hankook Ventus S1 noble2? I'm also thinking whether to change it to snow tires ASAP after I got the new ES in the coming THU.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it Hankook Ventus S1 noble2? I'm also thinking whether to change it to snow tires ASAP after I got the new ES in the coming THU.
Yes... Those are the tires... I'm pretty happy with them for stock issue tires.

Reactions: Petabytes

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am also running the stock tires on stock rims and so far no issues with snow and slush in Toronto area. I am still undecided if I should swap them out for winter tires or just continue with these.

·
Registered
126 Posts
For my situation, my current 17" winter tire w/ alloy rim is using on my current Hyundai Veloster. But I will trade the Veloster to a ES on the coming THU. I need to change it back to the stock 18" rim with tire when drop off at the dealer. Then the winter tires will be ideal.

After checking the weather forcast of the 14 days, more snow fall will come soon. I think I better change to winter tires ASAP after picking up the ES. So save the stock ones till to spring.

That's also perfect that my current Hyundai Velsoter 17" winter tires and alloy rims bolt pattern, offset and center bore size should be just the same fit for the new 2018 ES without issue.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am also running the stock tires on stock rims and so far no issues with snow and slush in Toronto area. I am still undecided if I should swap them out for winter tires or just continue with these.
Good to hear... As I said... So far so good and I feel pretty confident riding on the stock tires right now!

Reactions: Petabytes

·
Registered
106 Posts
the stock are all season, they will work fine for winters at lease for 2 seasons. but if you were to get winter tires, you had save 5% on insurance and it would help the stock tires last much longer. my previous car I didn't use winter tires till like 3rd season and the stock tire pretty much cracked in the middle of the thread on the 4th season due to rubber hardening using for winter I suppose.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't understand why other people are doing so well with stock tires in the snow. Don't get me wrong I'm happy for you guys, but when I had the stock tires on and had a couple inches on the roads (and used all electronic assists) the tires were complete S**t. oh well. Glad to hear they are working for other people.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't understand why other people are doing so well with stock tires in the snow. Don't get me wrong I'm happy for you guys, but when I had the stock tires on and had a couple inches on the roads (and used all electronic assists) the tires were complete S**t. oh well. Glad to hear they are working for other people.
Yeah... We got a good dump of snow in the last two days and I had a really great time driving in it... Absolutely no issues at all and my wife even commented how sure footed the car was behaving even when I was not!... Lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yep. Until one tries a winter tire in the snow, they really have no idea what "doing good" is. To try and quantify the difference is a difficult thing to do.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I just came back from a week in Topeka, KS. They had snow on the ground there - it was only about 1/2 inch on the roads, but I drove them quite a bit before they were salted (they don't even have plows) and I had exactly zero issues. In fact, Lola did remarkably well in the snow. I never once worried about traction or braking. And I come from where snow tires are considered a must in the winter - Pittsburgh PA and grew up driving on them. They weren't any better than the stock all seasons on the ES.

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Huh. I never slid while braking, but I never had to brake hard, either.
I think it's more a function of braking at the threshold---which if you are driving in a civilized manner relative to the conditions, you may never need to worry. BUT if you were to get to that point--where the ABS kicks in, it will absolutely do so at a lower speed on an A/S tire vs a winter tire. Cornering thresholds and forward bite will be better too...

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I'll have to take your word for it there. I always give plenty of distance, brake early and gently, and corner at low speeds when driving on ANY tires in the snow so I've never had to deal with adverse situations like you're describing. THat's why I added that caveat though - lending credence to the idea that winter tires probably do better in extreme driving conditions like hard braking/cornering.

·
Registered
37 Posts
With recent fresh snow over the long weekend, I really found the all seasons struggling. ABS, Traction Control all were overworked. I also got a scare on a road curve driving in light snow with temperatues well below -10 when for a brief moment at the speed of 40Km/h I lost traction on all wheels. Again, there was no abrupt steering, brake or accelerator input. I would have definitley hit the curb if I would have been doing 50. That one incident made me go to the tire shop and get the winter tires on steel wheels. There is a definite change in drive, grips and braking at low temperature. I also like the ride little comfortable now due to the increased side wall. I would say its better to move to a winter tire to enjoy the car in winters.

·
Registered
188 Posts

I did a 60 mile trip in 6 inches of snow in these. I was a moron, but I did it. No accidents and I didn't get stuck. If you give enough time and space you can make it around in the snow on anything and say it was fine. That doesn't mean you should though. I'm not accusing anyone of anything here, just providing another viewpoint.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Driving on 200+/-TW tires in snow is actually a way to damage the tire--grip/traction not withstanding. Cold temps change the chemical composition of the rubber compounds--look up "glass transition point". The chemistry of the particular tire may not necessarily change at 32*--but there is a temperature that it will.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=273

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm living in rapid City SD right now. Very few problems on stock tires, it does seem that the traction control allows quite a bit of slip before it kicks on if you are barely on the gas. Braking is sketchy my down shift to second at 3000 with rev match wasn't very friendly. Thinking about buying some all seasons like falken ze950's like I have on my eclipse

1 - 20 of 22 Posts