Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This sound had started happening since I got the car. Now I am annoyed enough to want to resolve it. Basically, when it's accelerating (mid or full throttle) in any gear, there is a whooshing, almost tire squeal-like sound. I thought it was tires just losing grip, but this happens even at mid throttle and higher gears. Especially noticeable near other cars and walls when it resonates. It sounds exactly as when you go into a corner and the tires are struggling for grip. It is not air rushing past because this happens only when enough throttle is applied. It's a consistent sound throughout the entire rpm range. I had an identical issue on my Fiesta st right after I changed my tires. Still can't see how tires could be causing this though.

Has anyone noticed this? It's loud enough to be a bit embarrassing when passing cars. Almost sounds like that belt squeal too that you hear on older cars at idle, but not nearly as loud, just subtle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a similar issue with my Probe GT, it ended up being a gasket leak between the exhaust manifold and engine block. It sounded almost like a belt squeal and it happened when the engine was cold or occasionally during particularly hard acceleration. It was a cheap $11 fix but was a 3 day project since I had to take nearly the entire engine bay apart to access it.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
I had a similar issue with my Probe GT, it ended up being a gasket leak between the exhaust manifold and engine block. It sounded almost like a belt squeal and it happened when the engine was cold or occasionally during particularly hard acceleration. It was a cheap $11 fix but was a 3 day project since I had to take nearly the entire engine bay apart to access it.
This is what I was thinking.

Do you have a gasket between your downpipe and dump exhaust? If not, that could be the source right there.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not touched anything on this car other than the muffler and that resonator delete. This sound has been present since I got the car and was ready to push it harder. I was convinced it was tires. I just went to Hyundai and drove with a service advisor, he said it's the waste gate sound and is normal. It's subtle and you can only hear it when next to other objects. Next time I am there for an oil change, I'll ask them to check all the bolts and test for leaks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have not touched anything on this car other than the muffler and that resonator delete. This sound has been present since I got the car and was ready to push it harder. I was convinced it was tires. I just went to Hyundai and drove with a service advisor, he said it's the waste gate sound and is normal. It's subtle and you can only hear it when next to other objects. Next time I am there for an oil change, I'll ask them to check all the bolts and test for leaks.
What makes you think it isn't normal then? If it has been there since the start and the tech from Hyundai says its normal why are you concerned?

My car makes a woosh or the sound of air sucking as well when accelerating and its the turbo spooling. Could that be it for you? I wouldn't describe the sound as tire screeching though. To me it sounds like if you suck in through your mouth. If you make your lips like you would whistle but instead suck in. Thats what mine sounds like and Hyundai told me it is normal as well as its the turbo and/or waste gate.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're confusing this sound with the suction intake sound. Totally different. Try to accelerate next to a wall or cars with windows down full throttle, in 2nd gear. At this point you won't hear any intake suction noise and if the car makes no other noise. Then mine isn't a normal one. I am not as concerned as I am just disliking this sound. Would be perfect without it. I don't think it's the intake side as I've tried every intake option there is and this sound has remained the same. I think it has to do with the boost side like others have mentioned. Also, my Fiesta st started making this sound later down the line, and I know It wasn't normal, and it sounded identical. I never did find out why, but since it happened right after my new tires were installed, I can't help but think it has a bit to do with that, or it's just a stupid coincidence.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
My opinion is, if the dealer says it's normal and the car blows up, it's their fault. :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Video please :)
It's just too subtle to get on video. You have to literally be driving with the window down trying to hear it. Chances are other people might have this too, but they are just not as picky. I'll try to record it tomorrow. If the noise is picked up by the camera, I'll post it.

My opinion is, if the dealer says it's normal and the car blows up, it's their fault. :)
The tech was convinced it's the turbo or the wastegate. The suggestions posted earlier about boost/exhaust leak make more sense to me. I'll look into it.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I thought (and maybe still do) that I have an exhaust leak at the manifold as well since I get a "clicking" noise with light revs if I am sitting next to a wall. Don't recall ever hearing anything other than that, and now my SEE intake drowns pretty much everything out. :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
I thought (and maybe still do) that I have an exhaust leak at the manifold as well since I get a "clicking" noise with light revs if I am sitting next to a wall. Don't recall ever hearing anything other than that, and now my SEE intake drowns pretty much everything out. :D
You probably are just hearing the high pressure fuel pump clicking. These GDI motors tick like a diesel.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts