Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed in the past month or two I smell rubbing alcohol almost everytime I enter my car. I have 0 clues on what it could be. anyone have an idea?
I appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The factory washer fluid smells like vodka.

Are you using the wiper/washers?

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
The factory washer fluid smells like vodka.

Are you using the wiper/washers?
There is no factory washer fluid - that's added by the dealership, and each dealership makes their own arrangements with the chemical supply company of their choosing.

·
Registered
137 Posts
There is no factory washer fluid - that's added by the dealership, and each dealership makes their own arrangements with the chemical supply company of their choosing.
Didn't know that.

My dealer must use straight alcohol because that's what it smells like and it comes through strong through the vents. I've never smelled the washer fluid in the car like that.

Reactions: dmushet1

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Maybe true for Hyundai but I know for sure that's not the case with Nissan. It's added at the factory, however they only fill it about 1/3 of the way. The dealer has to top it off.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Long time ago when I worked at Jiffy Lube, a guy I worked with did put booze in his washer fluid reservoir and he unplugged the tube from the washer nozzles and ran it into the truck under the steering column. If you saw his wipers going and it wasn't raining, he was probably making a drink.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've noticed in the past month or two I smell rubbing alcohol almost everytime I enter my car. I have 0 clues on what it could be. anyone have an idea?
I appreciate any advice.
A lot of the interior components are synthetic and will 'off gas'. On a few really hot days I opened my car and almost gagged! The smell has since lessened.

Edit: i took a 'whif' of the washer fluid and it does smell

1 - 12 of 12 Posts