Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Looking to add a sub to my ES to really round out the sound. Already changed all door speakers which vastly improved the sound quality and max volume/clarity up top, but the system is still lacking some low end thump.

It's the base 6 speaker setup so there's no existing sub or spot for one on the parcel shelf. I really want to have a slim/small install as to not compromise on trunk space or being able to fold the seats down as there's a little rear passenger due and I want to maintain the car as practical as possible.

So a few questions I have.

• Will a sub/Amp wire to the back of the 7" infotainment system or will it come off say the rear speaker wires? I know I'll need to get power all the way from the battery.
  • Do the slim sub/amp combos that fit under seats etc really add enough low end bass to satisfy? Not looking for eat shattering levels just fill out the missing freq's accecptibly
  • what have other people done for a space conscious sub install? modify parcel shelf? under seat? is there a steathbox style option for the AD elantra??
All your help and advice appreciated.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Someone said the premium system includes a sub on the rear deck, and the hole is there on the base system. I havent stuck my head under there to look at that yet...

Secondarily, what speakers did you put in?

Edit: Ironically enough, I JUST stumbled upon this deal... Im thinking of grabbing it up.
http://www.harmanaudio.com/refurbished-speakers/GT-BASSPRO12+REFURB.html?dwvar_GT-BASSPRO12+REFURB_color=Black-Z&CJPID=CJ#start=1&utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=gt-basspro12-z-100-aug13

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Yeah the hole is still there for the sub on the base cars.

Reactions: mccaslin0

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How big can that sub be? span of the hole itself seems to be about 7 inches but he mounting holes could be 8", and would I then need to cut though the parcel shelf which has no hole in it?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
How big can that sub be? span of the hole itself seems to be about 7 inches but he mounting holes could be 8", and would I then need to cut though the parcel shelf which has no hole in it?
I was thinking 8" maybe? I'll have to look at it again.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I had my single 10" subwoofer box "secured" by velcro in the trunk, but it kept rolling around back there so I've since moved it to the footwell of the rear driver's side.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone measured up the sub and can also tell/show me if there is a hole for it on the top of the parcel shelf? I see the hole from inside the boot.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Anyone measured up the sub and can also tell/show me if there is a hole for it on the top of the parcel shelf? I see the hole from inside the boot.
Just measured the hole, 7" across. So I believe that will fit an 8" sub? There are two smaller holes closest to the trunk opening for mounting, but that's it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can anyone with the premium sound system and the stock subwoofer fitted please take and share some above/below photos? I'd like to get an idea what I'm up against and from the bottom side it seems like part of the boot mechanism runs awful close to the hole for the sub on my car so I want to suss that out.

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
It's mounted to the parcel shelf in the rear and my windows are tinted, so it would be very difficult to get any meaningful shots from above.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Also curious about this because car audio (not overdone) is extremely important and I plan on a base dct. Can we verify that the stock premium audio is 7" or 8"? And double up on the pictures. :)

Also get that **** thing out of your backseat hahahaha

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Reactions: Poolnoodle

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I ended up buying a self contained sub/amp combo to try and install, one of these bad boys. https://www.pioneer.com.au/shop/car/ts-wx120a/

The spot behind the centre console was a PERFECT size, slightly raised by really flat thanks to the car being a front wheel drive, excitement was rising.

So I pull the dash apart and get the deck slid out and it has neither of the two connections this unit needs to connect (Speaker line input or RCA input).

Looks like if you have the base 7" unit / 6 speaker system, you're plum outta luck trying to add a subwoofer to that setup, unless someone here knows a good solution given what I've said? Here are some pics of the back of the unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
So I ended up buying a self contained sub/amp combo to try and install, one of these bad boys. https://www.pioneer.com.au/shop/car/ts-wx120a/

The spot behind the centre console was a PERFECT size, slightly raised by really flat thanks to the car being a front wheel drive, excitement was rising.

So I pull the dash apart and get the deck slid out and it has neither of the two connections this unit needs to connect (Speaker line input or RCA input).

Looks like if you have the base 7" unit / 6 speaker system, you're plum outta luck trying to add a subwoofer to that setup, unless someone here knows a good solution given what I've said? Here are some pics of the back of the unit.

You will need an amp with speaker level inputs, then need to use taps to split off the front or rear speaker outputs from the head unit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You will need to do like Ja'Crispy said. Get yourself a mono sub amplifier that accepts speaker level inputs. You basically tap the existing speaker outputs instead of using RCAs.

OR,

A more quality option would be grabbing an AudioControl LC2i. It will use a set of speakers as input (rears or front woofers) and convert them to line level with RCA outputs. It also has Accubass which corrects bass rolloff that the OEM system may produce.

Have one in my 2014 Elantra Limited with Nav. I since have upgraded to the LC7i and am powering a sub amp, and a 4 channel with all new speakers. Works flawlessly and should work just fine for the new ES.

(Side note: I don't own an ES yet. Just a hardcore lurker looking to upgrade in the next few months and thought I could help. Audio is my strong-point with modding.)

·
Registered
133 Posts
What about the use of something like this https://www.jaycar.com.au/speaker-high-level-to-line-level-converter/p/AA0482

With taps, then I'm assuming that the speakers I've tapped will still work as per normal, and I get RCA out to connect to the amp? I am quite keen to use the Pioneer unit I linked earlier.
Something like should work - on paper. I would be hesitant to put something that inexpensive in line. If your route is to convert the signal pre-amp, I would go with this.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_161LC2IB/AudioControl-LC2iB-Black.html?tp=70736

1 - 20 of 52 Posts