Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone. First post. I don't have an ES, but I'm looking to relegate my beloved 2006 Sonata V6 to being a spare vehicle, and as of now the ES is looking like the strongest contender to replace it. Whatever I end up buying will be a DD commuter car in the Los Angeles area (making the DCT mandatory for my needs), and maintaining (or hopefully slightly improving upon) my accustomed levels of acceleration, comfort, handling, noise levels, braking, and gas mileage for under $25K has the ES at the top of my list. I have some questions/concerns regarding the sunroof, however.

I've noticed that the 2017 ES has an option package that includes a sunroof, but on the 2018 it is standard. I've never had a sunroof in any of my cars and I'm not sure what the impacts are to noise transmission. I'm a bit of a nutcase about car stereo; having a big piece of glass over my head gives me pause, considering one of the first things I'll be doing to the new car is serious sound deadening/absorption/etc. I'm not quite sure how the sunroof and the interior cover operate, and whether adding Dynamat/mass loaded vinyl materials will interfere with them. I realize it may be hard to quantify unless someone has had both a sunroofed and a sunroof-free version of the same car, however.

Would anyone care to comment on perceived noise emanating from the sunroof?

Any other reasons anyone regrets having a sunroof?

Thanks!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I occasionally hear growling when I open my sunroof.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
...but then again,sometimes I hear 'clunking' with it closed...No idea why.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just today I hear some 'flapping' with the sunroof open. I've narrowed it down to two possibilities.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In general you will receive higher levels of wind/road noise with a sunroof. I believe that is what you are asking for?
Thank you. Yes, that is my primary concern. Whichever vehicle I get, I plan on treating the ceiling, but I don't know if it's a lost cause with a sunroof. If there is a sizeable difference, I'll need to focus on getting a 2017 model without the option package if I go with an ES.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Thank you. Yes, that is my primary concern. Whichever vehicle I get, I plan on treating the ceiling, but I don't know if it's a lost cause with a sunroof. If there is a sizeable difference, I'll need to focus on getting a 2017 model without the option package if I go with an ES.
It may be impossible to reduce the wind and road noise from a sunroof for any normal consumer. You might be OK putting some dynamat or similar on the roof itself, I would just check the movement of the sunroof before applying. I don't think the cover will cause any issues. Typically there isn't a huge difference with or without it unless the sunroof isn't sealed/installed properly.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sunroof noise is neglible IMHO compared to road /tire noise especially on porous or textured road surfaces. I have the '17 with Premium package and on a quiet surface at 75MPH with stereo at moderate (l. T. 50%) I don't hear any wind/cabin noise.

I have a nice home theater (Magnepan speakers, outlaw audio sub) so appreciate good sound, but have little experience with good car audio.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dang, I may not have a choice regarding the ES sunroof; there are hardly any 2017 models to be found, especially factoring in the gray, automatic transmission, base model I'd prefer. I did a quick test drive of a 2018 last weekend, but I was really only comparing the driving experience to my Sonata. Even with 100K miles on it, my old V6 feels a little bit peppier and a fair bit smoother in terms of engine performance, but I could certainly live with the Elantra engine. I found the transmission in the ES to be a bit more responsive, though. The ES handling was definitely better, and very impressive considering the ride quality seemed as smooth and comfortable as the Sonata.

I'll have to do a second round with the Elantra, with overall noise level as my focus.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sunroof noise is neglible IMHO compared to road /tire noise especially on porous or textured road surfaces. I have the '17 with Premium package and on a quiet surface at 75MPH with stereo at moderate (l. T. 50%) I don't hear any wind/cabin noise.

I have a nice home theater (Magnepan speakers, outlaw audio sub) so appreciate good sound, but have little experience with good car audio.
Thanks for the input. That's encouraging. I have modified 8' tall Acoustat electrostatic speakers at home, which are pretty freaking epic, but I've come to realize that I simply spend more time listening to music in my car than my home stereo or computer audio system. When you spend 2-3 hours a day commuting, you might as well make the most of it. :) It's actually quite amazing how good a car stereo can sound with the right gear and installation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.