Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I installed the intake system with the breather delete/ BPV delete option. For those of you who have the same system, you will know that when removing the OEM system, the blow off valve hose is to be removed. When installing the new intake, it is apparent that there is no connection to the blow off valve. I was curious as to why, but figured that was how the new system was engineered, and left it at that. The other day I was driving and noticed that when I took my foot off the gas pedal, instead of the normal pssss sound, there was a flutter instead. My 12 year old son was in the car with me and thought it sounded awesome. Problem is, the Check engine light came on right around the same time. I took it in to service, and they told me that debris had gotten inside the valve, causing it to stick. They said it will cost $470 CAD to replace the valve and the solenoid. The inspection and cost of parts/labour are not covered under warranty as it is after market. I'm hoping someone has encountered this issue, and was hoping for any input or solutions moving forward. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
BPV = bypass valve = blowoff valve. If you ordered one with BPV delete, it will not come with the connection for the hose. If you removed the hose completely, there is a possibility something can get in there. The part is a simple fix, just 4 bolts hold it on. If you want another stock one, I'm sure someone here (or in my facebook group) will have a stock one that they can sell you cheap. Or you can just upgrade to a full blowoff valve, your choice. The solenoid is an entirely different piece and should not have to be replaced. That's the dealer trying to scam you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I did notice the 4 bolts. Seems relatively simple to take off. Should I be concerned about debris past the valve? I suppose I can check once the valve is removed. I think purchasing a full blow off valve might be the better option. If I replace the stock valve, I'll most likely run in to the same issue with debris getting inside. Unfortunately, the winter and spring conditions where I live are not kind. I agree that the service dept. is trying to scam. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I have a GFB Mach 2. It's going to depend on what type of sound you are looking for. I would get one that you can put the hose back on the BOV itself, but leave the other end open and run it somewhere that won't get anything into it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have a picture of your set up you can share?
Would I have to get the hose separately, or does it come as a kit?

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
You can just use the stock hose that you took off. My intake has the BPV port and I am currently using it. Not a fan of a super loud BOV.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i have the sxth element intake but i use the factory breather but bpv delete...i left the hose on the factory bpv for awhile until i installed the turbo xs BOV. I get a check engine light here and there for a few days and then it goes away. It pops on i noticed if i go WOT. I was always told it was coming on because of the car not being tuned for it. I never noticed any issues so i just ignore it

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was looking at the GFB hybrid dual outlet BOV. Since I already have the intake with the BOV delete option, I figured this may be the way to go. I want to hear the BOV. If I'm wrong, please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
The Hybrid BOV is designed to be setup to vent to atmosphere and recirculate at the same time to vary the noise level. Since you don't have the re-circulation point, might be a better idea to run a regular BOV like the HKS, Greddy or a standard GFB like the Mach 2.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts