Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Did any of you have trouble removing the tail light housing? I watched the youtube videos and read the manual and they both say just remove the 2 bolts on the side and push it the housing towards back but I can't seem to remove it no matter how much force I put into. For those who removed it could you tell me in which direction I should remove it/how to do it?

Youtube link:

I realize the videos are for regular elantra but from the manual it seems like the configuration is the same.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thank you for the great info! So you just removed the 2 bolts then pushed the top one back to remove the housing?
Leave the nuts on the studs like in the image ion the post, keeps the lens from falling off and hitting the ground and smashing. Once it pops out from the retention clips, remove the nuts, slide the lens all the way off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leave the nuts on the studs like in the image ion the post, keeps the lens from falling off and hitting the ground and smashing. Once it pops out from the retention clips, remove the nuts, slide the lens all the way off.
Thanks for the tip. The problem is I can't even get it off... There's a different post where someone said some of us might have defective plastic covers for the bolts (not the one you pop out) that makes the housing be stuck... looks like I'm outa luck :(

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport DCT w/TECH
259 Posts
Either way, the taillights are hard to remove. I managed to break the corner clip on the driver side (already replaced). Time and patience my friend - they will give in eventually.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the tip. The problem is I can't even get it off... There's a different post where someone said some of us might have defective plastic covers for the bolts (not the one you pop out) that makes the housing be stuck... looks like I'm outa luck :(
Did you ever get these off? I'm trying to do it now and it's not happening. I tried pushing back with the ratchet, sliding cardboard under it and rocking it. I just can't remove it. It's like its locked in. I had no problems on Veloster. Oh well, If I can't figure it out soon, I'll just return the bulbs and leave it be. I'll probably let the dealer figure it out when it's time to replace them.

Edit: Tried to remove using a rag and rapping it around the tip and pulling forward while I was behind the car. Full weight. Light went no where. Will be scheduling a dealer visit.

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport DCT w/TECH
259 Posts
Edit: Tried to remove using a rag and rapping it around the tip and pulling forward while I was behind the car. Full weight. Light went no where. Will be scheduling a dealer visit.

This is exactly what worked for me (I used a microfibre cloth folded in half). The light finally came loose after several strong rapid pulls towards the back of the car. Constant pressure on the light did not seem to do the trick for me. I did, however, broke the corner grommet in the process. The replacement came from AliExpress, search for p/n: 92485A7000. Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for that part number. The comments section under another video said that they tried using a "heavy duty" string to make this happen. I'll give it a try tomorrow. I bought some heavy nylon string from lowes. I can't believe they locked that thing on as tight as they did.

EDIT: I got them off without damage. It's not the clip at the end. It's the 2 white caps that the pins go into. Hlee has it correct. I followed oolongs idea. https://www.elantrasport.com/forum/...-changing-rear-turn-signals-3.html#post116989

Instead of burning them, I pulled and twisted at them with long pliers from inside the car. About 3 min on each side and the light slides right out. Those connectors are biting down too hard on the pins.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Has anyone measured the diameter of the posts under those white caps? I'm going to 3D print a couple replacements with flexible filament. I plan on putting LED turn signals in pretty soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not my post, no idea outside of what was posted there.
Dang these things are stuck. Took my son pushing on the bolts inside and me pushing on the out side. Lots of wiggle, 45 minutes a side. Second one no easier than the first. Feel like I earned my beer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts