Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Yesterday we had our first cold day, -10 degrees celsius. I started the car in the morning around 7:30AM, let it warm up for 5 mins, without the interior heater blower running. Then put the blower on the second notch, and drove away.

I drove 7 kms, and the engine temperature gauge still didn't move. I was 3/4's way to work (total drive is 25kms), and it was almost at the 'normal' half way point. I found it odd that it took forever for the engine to get warm... (and -10 isn't really cold for Toronto).

With my Kia Soul, I would be melting from the heat at that 7 kms mark. That car just pumps out the heat. And also with my old 96 Accord, and 2000 Civic.

The heater wasn't really warm at all. Good thing that we have heated seats and steering wheel.

Anybody else find this the same? Any cold weather owners here able to share their thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the premium package with dual climate and almost always just use the auto control. It sort of chooses the best spot for air movement (it will pick windshield defrost right away but the button doesn't light up for defrost, it will pop a digital symbol on the screen once it gets the air temp). I've noticed it will only start pushing air when it knows it can deliver that temperature of air rather than blasting cold air initially. On a cold day like this recent hit,(I'm in London) I just set the auto on, and max the temp control to 'Hi'. To make it come on quicker, I use the circulation button from the clean air controls which grabs the air from the interior. All this along with heated seats and wheel, I'm sweating in 5kms or so. But yes I do agree, the coolant temperature gauge takes a long time to move up compared to other cars I've had. Most times I'll even have the roof open as it gets so **** hot once I'm halfway to work (40km drive).

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree, it takes longer than usual for the engine to get warmed up. I prefer to have a fully warmed car & engine before I hit the highway ramp. However with the temperatures down to -10 yesterday. I had to drive it slower that usual to ensure I am at optimum temperature before I hit the highway. Only saver was the heated seats and steering, just love the heated seats, the top setting really burns you.

·
Registered
106 Posts
same here, it was -10 on Friday night. I let the car on idle for 3 min than start driving home. the heat only starting to coming in hot when the gauge went to normal half way around 7-8km mark on driving as well.

the car was bringing in air from the outside thou, maybe if I push the recirculation button it would get hot faster?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've got Torque Pro with the OBDII android connected and the engine temp gauge is one of the gauges on the screen. Engine temp has to be over 50C (122F) before the gauge on the dash even starts to move. Normal running temp seems to be between 80C (176F) and 84C (183F).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi All,

All good replies, and information. I guess, this is the way the car is... Seems different of course with the Tech Package, and the Auto Climate option.

I'm glad in Canada, we get the heated steering wheel feature. Or, then I would not be happy!

I'll keep on this thread, as it gets colder. I would be interested in hearing from other Northern US owners as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Perhaps I'm just used to my previous Mazda taking about as long to warm up, but I think it's fine. It was 15F here yesterday morning and I was warm within 5 minutes of driving. Maybe a tech or someone could chime in, I was told extensive idling/warm up isn't really necessary with newer cars when I had the Mazda and the best way to quickly warm the car is to just drive it gently until its up to operating temps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 Elantra in Wisconsin. Same problem takes forever to warm up.Went to wedding up in Northern Wi. on Dec 31st, temperature there was -20, Drove 55 minute doing up to 70 mph thermostat still had not reach operating temperature until on interstate doing 80 mph for another 10 minute. Had to Dealer/shop twice to fix problem with no success. The problem is the new electronically controlled thermostat that is suppose to help with efficiency,performance and longevity of vehicle, however since their design is flawed it cost us our comfort. After 2nd try to fix problem the car still took 22 minute to get to where the thermostat was fully open allowing warm/hot air with no fluctuation upon braking or stopping with the outside temperature being 36 degree. It seem these electronic thermostats were not design with cold climates in mind and Hyundai is not acknowledging this problem and the fixes they have are not working(flush antifreeze check for air in line ect.). I realize -20 is cold but over a hour for the cars thermostat to allow car to fully heat and 22 minutes at 36 degrees really!! I am not upset with the Dealership/shop(their trying to get answers from Hyundai) for this is a design problem that Hyundai will only fix if enough owner complain and say it are NOT o.k.that our vehicles take this long to warm up. I would like to hear my Dealership say Hyundai tech have call with a true fix(redesigned thermostat) but would cost Hyundai money and I am not holding my breath.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My manual tells me to not worry about it and just drive gently until warm, so I don’t worry about it. I have an 18 GT Sport manual and it noticeably cuts power until warm, so i believe the ECM is protecting the engine. It warms up at the exact same 7-8 minute range of my drive when it’s cold
outside; cold being 0-15 fahrenheit.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
From a dead cold start, I wait until the high idle comes down (usually takes 15-20 seconds or so) and then gently drive it until the needle is at full temp.

And yes, the ECM pulling power while it's cold is super annoying.

·
Registered
105 Posts
From a dead cold start, I wait until the high idle comes down (usually takes 15-20 seconds or so) and then gently drive it until the needle is at full temp.

And yes, the ECM pulling power while it's cold is super annoying.
That's exactly what I do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 Hyundai Elantra SE and had the same issues. I'm in Wisconsin so it gets cold out pretty early on. The best tip is to start it and drive it on Sport for a few minutes with the blower at the lowest or a low setting. Also use the button that circulates the air from the inside. Once the temperature guage starts to warm up then you can put it back on Eco and turn the heat to a higher setting. This works a lot faster at warming up your vehicle compared to keeping it on Eco. Other than driving on the highway; this is the only time I put it on Sport and not Eco.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My car never actually gets to the correct operating temperature. Ive had many cars and this is the first time Ive encountered this. I cant get warm in this car. And Im in Beaverton OR where its only 30's and 40's in the winter at worst.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.