Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Very new to this forum.

Just test drove the car and I loved it. Elantra Sports is a very good car and I am surprised.

So, the dealer wants to move their 2017 ES Manual (which is what I want) out of the lot and is offering me $2600 discount on top of $3250 Discount ($2500 + $500 + $250 for financing) with OTD price of $21300 (I live in NY)

Btw, car has premium package (is this worth it? What's your thought?... I don't need nav and all that kind of stuff. Just wondering if spending $2250 for better speaker is worth it)

What do you guys think? And should I just get 2018?

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did you actually wring the engine out and see how it feels? I've driven slower cars that felt better. There is just something about this engine that doesn't feel quite right.
And there are thread(s) about hesitation, stutters, feels uneven.. . I just test drove a slower, 2017 Jetta 1.4 with a manual and it feels much better even tough it's not as fast. There is just something wrong with this 1.6 engine in my opinion.

·
Registered
342 Posts
IMO that is a good price for a 2017 ES w/ the premium pkg.

I have zero complaints about the 1.6T-GDI Gamma engine. The throttle response is impressive for a twin-scroll turbo (and I'm coming from an M156-powered AMG). The fact that it runs fine on 87 octane is a bonus.

IMO, I see no need to "wring" the engine out - the powerband is from 1500-4500, so going any higher isn't necessary unless you're already in top gear. This is no K20.

·
Registered
108 Posts
What is the price of the vehicle before discounts? Depending on what if any crap they add on, an example to shoot for the Sport manual w/premium package is this:

$25,145 MSRP (Give or take with addons)
-$2600-Dealer discount (What your dealer is giving you. This is excellent)
-$2500-Hyundai cash
-$500-Holiday cash
-$250-HMF financing
-$500-BoostUP
-$1000-Uber.

Those are discounts everyone can get so you're leaving off $1500 right now without BoostUP and Uber. Your dealer discount is very good. As long as they don't have add ons that you don't want or an inflated base price, you're doing well if you don't mind going after Uber and BoostUP.

As far as the premium package, I'm a sunroof fan so that would seal it for me right there as 2017's only have sunroof with premium package. Also I drive a lot, so I'd want the better stereo. You'll have to figure out if that package is worth it to you or not.

You're getting a good deal if the price of the vehicle is $25,200 or less.

·
Registered
338 Posts
IMO that is a good price for a 2017 ES w/ the premium pkg.

I have zero complaints about the 1.6T-GDI Gamma engine. The throttle response is impressive for a twin-scroll turbo (and I'm coming from an M156-powered AMG). The fact that it runs fine on 87 octane is a bonus.

IMO, I see no need to "wring" the engine out - the powerband is from 1500-4500, so going any higher isn't necessary unless you're already in top gear. This is no K20.
I've had a 9000 rpm SR20DET but you really needed to be over 3K for boost. This is much peppier around town.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I went back and forth between the premium/non-premium as well. The deciding factor to me was definitely the Infinity system. I spend a lot of time in my car, and the sound difference between the two is night and day. The price sounds right on for current promotions, and I think the car is a steal at that price for the performance and options it brings to the table.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
248 Posts
There is just something wrong with this 1.6 engine in my opinion.
Just joined the forums to say you don't like the car and talk people out of buying it?

The engine is a GEM, I couldn't disagree more with Mike. It's a fantastic balance of power, torque, fuel economy and flexibility - and it's a pearl in 6MT form.

Sounds like a deal mate, and by all accounts the tech package seems worth it for USDM.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I went back and forth between the premium/non-premium as well. The deciding factor to me was definitely the Infinity system. I spend a lot of time in my car, and the sound difference between the two is night and day. The price sounds right on for current promotions, and I think the car is a steal at that price for the performance and options it brings to the table than it actually does.

Hope that helps!
After doing a little research, I thought the Premium Package brought more to the table. Here's what's included:
Navigation system with 8-inch touchscreen
Infinity® Premium Audio with 8-speakers including center channel and subwoofer
Clari-Fi™ Music Restoration Technology
Blue Link® Telematics System
Complimentary Blue Link® Connected Care for three years
Complimentary Blue Link® Remote Package for three years
Complimentary Blue Link® Guidance Package for three years
Dual automatic temperature control
Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink® and compass

I'm trying to find the benefits of the Blue Link. It won't auto start with a manual I don't believe. I don't need reminders of oil changes or any other maintenance. What are the other benefits of Blue Link and is it worth it? How big of a deal is the auto dimming mirror?

My main desire is sunroof, which now comes standard. And the better stereo system with the Premium. However I chatted tonight with Crutchfield and they priced out a system upgrade from base that they said would be better than the Premium Package stereo. There are a few issues though. I know zero about car stereo systems so just checked with them as they have a chat option. I know some people frown upon them. Here's what they offered to upgrade base system to better than Premium:
1) JVC 7 inch head unit
2) Speakers that are supposedly superior to the Premium Package
3) Kit to make sure steering wheels audio controls work.
4) Sirius/XM adapter to make it work with the JVC unit. Apparently you cannot use stock antenna for sat radio so must have one of those small magnetic antennas. Ugh.

The total price is around $700 plus without installation charges. There were some speaker rebates as well to bring the price down. Not sure how much installation would be but he said it's all plug and play with everything so shouldn't be too much.

My biggest issue was the Sirius/XM needing an adapter and that stupid mini antenna. I'm sure it can be wired and hidden so I guess not a big deal. He said the JVC head unit would recognize the Sirius/XM adapter and would work just fine with the menu. They did not offer an 8 inch head unit. Only 6.95 inch or so. I'm wondering if anyone makes an 8 inch unit or if you can find an 8 inch unit from Hyundai and install? Is the larger 8 inch unit really worth it?

If I can upgrade the base stereo to better than Premium for under $1000 installed, I'd rather look at the base models. The other stuff in that package I really don't need. If it had more safety features then it would be a no brainer. But it doesn't. I don't need navigation either.

Only negative is the dealers don't seem to be discounting the base models as much as the ones with Premium Package. Which makes sense. So in the end it all could be just a push money wise after upgrading the stereo. But going for a base model gives me way more options as there's a lot more out there. So big plus there.

Now if I could only go for a DCT I'd have a bunch more options! But no way haha!

Is Blue Link really useful?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.