Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I thought I's make a build thread to so what I have done and if anyone has any questions about what I have done or how I did it. I have done everything here myself at home aside from window tint.

Cosmetic stuff, nothing crazy. Did the yellow daytime tint myself and the window tint done by professionals, 20% all around and a LP re-locator.

So I started with the usual, an intake, I got a Sxth Ele intake used from these forums actually. Easy install 2/10 skill level.

Next I ordered a Intercooler resonator delete and a coldside pipe with a Tial flange, both from Tork. These was a little bit more complicated I's say a 5/10 for the coldside pipe and a 6/10 for the Tork pipe because you need jack stands and had to be done under the car.
With the Tial BoV I did get a check engine light code P2261(pretty common HKS and TS BoVs cause it to I believe), I tried 3 different spring 6, 8 and 10 and never got the code to go away.

Next was the big stuff, this has all been done over the last few days! I had been waiting for some tunes to come out and was milling over who to get it through. In the end I went for BTR, they have a good rep Hyundai tunes and they had pretty much everything I needed to get it done.
I got a new ECU with tune shipped straight from Korea(not sure who actually did the tune, kinda scary), HKS spark plugs, a OCC from A.D.D. and boost controller solenoid from Grimm Speed. The ECU was a easy switch 2/10 (just make sure to disconnect the battery and let the car sit for a few minutes just to be safe) same with the spark plugs.
The boost controller on the other hand was a pain in the butt, not hard, just a pain 4/10. What made it rough was its location. I referenced Torks video on replacing the BCS and its true about the wastegate side hose connection breaking. I was also able to use the rubber holder for the Grimm Speed BCS which was nice. I haven't installed the OCC yet because there is no easy way to mount it with the mounting bracket that came with it. I think I'm going to have to fab one up myself or if anyone from BTR is on here can show me where they put it on there car.

I have to say if you think the car is fun stock, holy crap get a tune! When the boost come on its a whole new beast, so much fun! Wheels break loose in 1st 2nd and a little in 3rd. I'll be going in for a dyno and some point in the next month or so. So that's what I've done so far. I still plan on doing a downpipe and axle back exhaust but they will have to wait till next year some time. Also new springs and wheels are planed.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice! I REALLY want to do a tune, but I am super leery of giving the dealership any excuse to deny warranty work. I talk myself out of it, and then I read a review like this . . . :D Regardless, your car looks great!

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Nice! I REALLY want to do a tune, but I am super leery of giving the dealership any excuse to deny warranty work. I talk myself out of it, and then I read a review like this . . . :D Regardless, your car looks great!
Tune a spare ECU then. If you need warranty work, swap the stock one back in. Easy peasy. :cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did you get a baseline dyno to see gains or know of one we can see to compare results? Thanks for posting progress and giving the rest of us ideas. Oh how is torque steer with the additional power?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Did you get a baseline dyno to see gains or know of one we can see to compare results? Thanks for posting progress and giving the rest of us ideas. Oh how is torque steer with the additional power?
I didnt do a baseline unfortunately, I'll be get a dyno for my current mods in a few weeks. I actually forgot that there might be torque steer, I have felt none. That might be because the steering is pretty vague, I think its the only real downside to the ES.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. You need one that's fast acting and doesn't require a boost reference vacuum line to actuate it like should be done with HKS BOVs. I never threw a code with a Synapse DV on my VT because it actuates lightning fast off of the solenoid.
I’m using the HKS bov with no issues at all. Just saying for future reference for those wondering.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Where did you plumb the vacuum line?
It's dangerous to not run off of the solenoid, so I'm not going to give that information here.
I’d happily connect to the solenoid if possible. My previous turbo cars I ran an HKS with a vacuum line to the manifold. Can I PM you?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bad news here, BTR tune blow my engine.... Whats sad is I treat the car extremely well, never red lined and was using Amsoil 5w40. Just on my way home from work shifting from 2nd-3rd maybe got to 5k rpms and BOOM oil everywhere.

I will not be using the ECU again and will probably switch all back to stock.... Cant afford another bow out. I am selling most of my mods. I will sell the ECU to whoever wants a backup/tune ECU but I don't recommend using the tune on it. PST me if interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sorry to hear.
What the f... happened?
What got destroyed and how?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Bad news here, BTR tune blow my engine.... Whats sad is I treat the car extremely well, never red lined and was using Amsoil 5w40. Just on my way home from work shifting from 2nd-3rd maybe got to 5k rpms and BOOM oil everywhere.

I will not be using the ECU again and will probably switch all back to stock.... Cant afford another bow out. I am selling most of my mods. I will sell the ECU to whoever wants a backup/tune ECU but I don't recommend using the tune on it. PST me if interested.
So sad, :(

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Sorry to hear.
What the f... happened?
What got destroyed and how?
Looks like it threw a rod through the block. Your guess is as good as mine but based on BTR's excellent reputation, I am going to say this is a factory part failure. We'll see what Hyundai thinks soon enough.

·
Registered
137 Posts
We'll see what Hyundai thinks soon enough.
Hyundai's engineering and finance nerds did the math on their 10 year/100K powertrain warranty assuming 17-18 max psi.

That's what Hyundai thinks.

Reactions: Wolf_Speed
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.