Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. This is my ES build thread. Everything I do to the car will be shared here.

Changes done to the car so far:

- F1R F29 18x9.5 +38 wheels (stock tires for now) in matte/gloss black

- Custom intake (stock pipe with a green cone filter)

- Custom exhaust with Flowmaster "Outlaw" muffler and dual matte black tips

- Trunk badges removed (elantra and sport) and "H" emblem painted metallic gunmetal

- Front badge painted same as rear (not installed yet)

- Window tint 20% sides and 3% rear window

- Headlight eyelids added in gloss black

- Small mudflaps removed on all corners (plastic bits that hang down at the bottom)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A small update on the car. I painted and installed the front badge. It's just a spray can metallic gray with enamel clear coat. Nothing too exciting, but definitely glad to get rid of the remaining chrome on the outside. I also found the stock handbrake to be pretty boring with a cheap plastic feel, so I replaced the handle and added a suede boot. I really did not expect the stock plastic cover to put up such a fight. It took some time to pry it off. It clips onto the metal assembly from underneath, so sliding it off was not an option. It has to be unclipped like a clam shell. But there is no way to get to it without taking apart the center console. So I just cut alongside of it front and back, and then spread it from the top. Really happy with the look and the way it feels. The aluminum handle has a quality feel to it which I think is anodized too because it does not feel like raw aluminum. I also bought a black version, but liked the machined look of the silver one, especially with the interior being so black and bland.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thanks! And of course, here you go:

Handbrake: just search ebay or google for NRG Aluminum GEN 3

Eyelids: 2x Fit For Hyundai Elantra 2017 Front Head Light Eyelid Cover Trim Eyebrow Black | eBay
Awesome info thanks!

I take it the handbrake didn't come with the suede boot?

What you've done goes to show that this car, with relatively few cosmetic mods can really look subtle as ****.

I'd get some rims too but the Mr's would notice the money. Mines white and for bugger all $$$ I'm considering just plastidipping the wheels white, thoughts?

The pic is about as white as I could shop the stock (au spec) wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The boot comes separately, you can search for handbrake boot, suede or leather. Just make sure you get legit leather because the first boot I bought was junk, so I ordered the suede one from UK. There are so many options on ebay, it's your choice. They will all fit on this car.

I would avoid painting the stock wheels for a few reasons: they will start chipping fast from rocks and whatnot and will look like garbage. Also, I've never been a fan of matching paint. To me, it's about contrast. So, for a white car, black or dark gray (or bronze) wheels will look way better. But not stock wheels. Need more aggressive fitting aftermarket rims. Same with adding bits to your car - don't get matching paint all the time. For example, If you add a trunk spoiler (or the eyelids), go for gloss black. You don't want to have an all-white car. It's about making it fun for your eye to catch different elements.

P. S. Avoid plastidipping anything. It always looks cheap and is hard to take off complex shapes. If you paint it, do it right, or don't do it at all.

·
Registered
83 Posts
P. S. Avoid plastidipping anything. It always looks cheap and is hard to take off complex shapes. If you paint it, do it right, or don't do it at all.
I would agree as long as you're talking about DIY plastidipping. Plastidip also has a line specifically for professional sprayers called AutoFlex. It goes on either matte or glossy, looks just like real paint, is washed and waxed like real paint, but can be removed like a vinyl wrap later on. I've already got a quote from a somewhat local shop (I live in Seattle, nearest shop that does AutoFlex is in Portland) for a chameleon glossy AutoFlex for $2,200. Way cheaper than paint, cheaper than vinyl, and looks great.

This is the ZTZ AutoFlex I'm getting (skip to 3:33):

https://youtu.be/pyHuy24N80o?t=3m33s

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was talking about the dyi stuff for sure, the cheap spray cans, etc. The result always looks like crap even on small stuff like badges. What you posted looks sick, I wasn't even aware of its existence till now. The only problem I have with this (and vinyl) is that you are limited to matte or satin if you want a high quality finish. Anything glossy looks fuzzy/blurry and the reflection is never as sharp as real paint with clearcoat.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, having watched the whole video i see that it's just like real paint in many ways. Looks great, but I'd have to see something like this in person to know for sure.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Actually, having watched the whole video i see that it's just like real paint in many ways. Looks great, but I'd have to see something like this in person to know for sure.
Yeah the AutoFlex line is essentially real paint over a plastidip base so it can be peeled off.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh i get it now. That's a really clever idea. I guess you can save a lot of money since there is no prepping stage other than just wiping it all down. Personally, I wouldn't do it, I'd rather get it wrapped. This way you can fix things easier later.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HSD coilovers installed. The rear is sitting too low, so I'll raise it by 3/4". The front springs were the wrong height for this kit. I guess they made a mistake with the measurements at the factory. I spent all day trying different variations of spring preload (from none to an inch) to see if it made a difference. The car would not go lower than stock height in the front with the coilovers maxed out. I ended up removing 2 of the 3 green collars, one triangle plate from top, rearranging a few bits. That dropped it by an inch which is what you see in the pics. The rears were easier and seemed to have no issues dropping the car. It's super low right now, but still has almost one inch of room to go lower... I am waiting on new front springs (shorter ones) from shark. Until then, I do not advise anyone ordering them just yet because it will not lower the front at all. Give it a few weeks and this issue will be resolved.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Normal procedure is using dental floss. For the lettering it'll work fine. But for larger badges like the H I found that using a fishing line works better as long as you are careful and apply pressure onto the badge, not paint.

To remove the residue all you need is dish soap. Soak it, leave it for a bit, then wipe off. Or you can use goo gone. Just be sure to use soft paper or cloth towels, otherwise you'll scratch the clear.

·
Registered
78 Posts
When you removed the hyundai badges to paint, what method did you use to reattach? Did you just trim up some 3M tape?

Looks really good

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used silicone that I got at Lowe's. Just a few dots around the badge. You can use 3m tape too, but with silicone it'll stay in place forever and not peel, yet you can still take it off cleanly

·
Registered
12 Posts
HSD coilovers installed. The rear is sitting too low, so I'll raise it by 3/4". The front springs were the wrong height for this kit. I guess they made a mistake with the measurements at the factory. I spent all day trying different variations of spring preload (from none to an inch) to see if it made a difference. The car would not go lower than stock height in the front with the coilovers maxed out. I ended up removing 2 of the 3 green collars, one triangle plate from top, rearranging a few bits. That dropped it by an inch which is what you see in the pics. The rears were easier and seemed to have no issues dropping the car. It's super low right now, but still has almost one inch of room to go lower... I am waiting on new front springs (shorter ones) from shark. Until then, I do not advise anyone ordering them just yet because it will not lower the front at all. Give it a few weeks and this issue will be resolved.

So, if I'm reading this right, the car is around 1" lower all 'round from stock? Trying to get a read on how low I wanna go. This is a gorgeous build though. Wouldn't change a thing. Really inspiring

·
Registered
84 Posts
Are your tires rubbing at all?

·
Registered
78 Posts
What was your trick to get the front emblem off? It appears to be screwed on, certainly not glued. I sure hate to take the bumper off

1 - 20 of 117 Posts