Elantra Sport Forum banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
question about the eyelids u put on the headlights. have there been any issues with them coming off? is the double sided tape really enough to keep them adhered permanently through bad wet weather and high speeds?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
The trick to double sided taping is to wipe the surface with some sort of a degreaser, in this case I use isopropyl alcohol (can get it at CVS). Mist it on. Wipe it off with a lint free towel. Repeat a few times. Allow to dry for 5 minutes (there is residue that needs to fully evaporate). Then heat up the double sided tape slightly with a heat gun and stick it on. Press down firmly. If you want extra security, add a few drops of clear silicone around the part. But that I only do on bigger pieces like a spoiler, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When you talked a while ago about getting the e-brake boot off - where and how did you cut it? Did you go along the top, at the base, etc? I'm looking to replace the handle and boot as well, but don't want to screw up anything and I'm not nearly as handy as you to where I feel comfortable trying it by myself hahah. Also, with the boot that you got, what cars did it claim to fit? I'm wanting to go leather over suede and so whatever has been linked in the past won't necessarily work for me. I was looking at this, but I dunno

FOR VW BEETLE MK2 2012-16 E BRAKE BOOT BLACK LEATHER WITH RED STITCHING NEW

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Initially, I started cutting from the top and, as I realized it was hugging the entire metal arm, I just cut as much around it as I could, then I tore it off eventually. If you put some time and effort into this, you'll take it off. Once you cut the top, you can open it up like a clam shell to see how it connects. You need some really sharp industrial blade as the plastic is very thick and strong.

The boot is universal. It does not matter which boot you use: they are all the same at the neck. Some are longer than others though. The one in your link will fit. Furthermore, this isn't a project for someone who is timid or worried about messing something up. Once you cut the factory boot, there is no turning back. I think it's worth the trouble because the new ebrake really changes the feel and look drastically. The factory one is a joke, but makes sense for cars in this price range. Do keep in mind that you'll also need some sort of electrical tape because the new handle will have a lot of play and the holding grub screws won't be enough to secure it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Initially, I started cutting from the top and, as I realized it was hugging the entire metal arm, I just cut as much around it as I could, then I tore it off eventually. If you put some time and effort into this, you'll take it off. Once you cut the top, you can open it up like a clam shell to see how it connects. You need some really sharp industrial blade as the plastic is very thick and strong.

The boot is universal. It does not matter which boot you use: they are all the same at the neck. Some are longer than others though. The one in your link will fit. Furthermore, this isn't a project for someone who is timid or worried about messing something up. Once you cut the factory boot, there is no turning back. I think it's worth the trouble because the new ebrake really changes the feel and look drastically. The factory one is a joke, but makes sense for cars in this price range. Do keep in mind that you'll also need some sort of electrical tape because the new handle will have a lot of play and the holding grub screws won't be enough to secure it.
Sounds good! I may DM you when I get the parts in next week if I hit trouble. So the blade and electrical tape are the only tools needed?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
You will also need pliers, nippers, and definitely some thick gloves for safety. I'd actually suggest using a box cutter. Once you start, hit me up if it's confusing.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #111 (Edited)
Hi everyone, just wanted to give a quick update on what's going on in my life. Been lurking these forums from time to time.

I recently sold my ES. I listed it on ebay with all the mods it had and it sold fairly quickly to someone who wanted it just the way it was. It was a bitter-sweet moment to see the car go. I put a lot of time and energy into this car and did all the work myself, so I had a fair amount of connection with the car. There were things I liked about it a lot, and some that I found lacking. But overall, I think Hyundai is on the right track with it.They just need to keep tuning/improving what's already there. I always liked being on these forums, and even after I sold the car I got pm's asking my opinion on exhaust and other mods which was really awesome to receive and help out.

Anyway, I did end up getting the car I had always wanted but kept side-tracking and getting something else every time for years. It's a 2017 bmw M3. As usual, I started modding it right away just like I did with the ES. So far it has custom wheels, lowering springs, and a few interior parts. The exhaust is stock (comp package which is a bit louder). I just finished a short video clip for anyone who's interested to check it out (link below). I hope you guys like it. If you have any comments on what I can improve moving forward with these videos, don't hesitate, all feedback is welcome! There are a few other clips of my previous cars as well.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Was wondering what you were up to, looks great man!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I re-uploaded the video. Didn't much like how I put it together last time, it was too long and had useless clips. Changed the music and the pace. Check it out, the link is above! Also added another video reviewing the car if anyone is interested to see.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Going from the ES to the M3 is probably about as drastic of a change as going from my base 16 MD elantra to my 18 sport haha.

Great build man, your ride height on that car is exactly where I want mine to be at, just have to find the right setup.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #115 (Edited)
Thanks for the comments! Yeah, it was drastic for sure. The M3 was really not a logical move but rather an emotional one. Totally dumb in every possible way, reasonably speaking. But I had to do it. It's the car I'd wanted and lusted over for years. But before I could truly enjoy it I had to get over a major episode of buyer's remorse (lasts for months). I had no regrets getting the ES as my payments were super low at 250 a month (lease). It was a huge bargain and allowed me to mod it nonstop. The M is about 5 times that per month. It's too expensive and, when you first get it you don't think of the price much as it's surreal (the power, the looks, etc) and overwhelms you emotionally, but then the financial shock hits you and you think "wtf did I just do"... That's quite a drastic feeling! I think that happens with anyone who didn't buy this car outright with cash. After a few months that shock fades away and you can finally start to enjoy the car for what it is, especially if you modify it. You start to push it more, connect with it, appreciate it, etc. And that's the reality of getting a car of this price when you're not rich... Anyway, I have to admit that I still had my ES at that time and I would occassionally hop in and go rip through some local canyons. I really enjoyed it! Even driving it back to back I was amazed by how nice of a car it really was. I still think I wouldn't have sold it if it were a stick. The car felt simpler, lighter, and nimbler than my M3 which is a car you have to get used to before you get the confidence/desire to really push it. With my ES I was never worried about overstepping the boundaries; the steering felt extremely light and responsive (better than the M3 in regard to steering ratio). My ES, with all those mods, it really felt like a go-cart. I liked that. Moral of the story here is... Expensive/better cars do not make you any happier. The true excitement, to me at least, is in continuously progressing with your car, i.e. building it (modding), if you're into that. Or at least enjoying it on nice roads as much as possible. I hit a dead end with my ES as I really was not a fan of its transmission (lost motivation to mod further). But if that were not the case, I'd keep going forward with it. But I've learned what I really enjoy in cars now and know more about what cars I'd want in the future.

P.S. if anyone wants to see my new videos, just check my yt channel @TheShaddix.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thanks for the comments! Yeah, it was drastic for sure. The M3 was really not a logical move but rather an emotional one. Totally dumb in every possible way, reasonably speaking. But I had to do it. It's the car I'd wanted and lusted over for years. But before I could truly enjoy it I had to get over a major episode of buyer's remorse (lasts for months). I had no regrets getting the ES as my payments were super low at 250 a month (lease). It was a huge bargain and allowed me to mod it nonstop. The M is about 5 times that per month. It's too expensive and, when you first get it you don't think of the price much as it's surreal (the power, the looks, etc) and overwhelms you emotionally, but then the financial shock hits you and you think "wtf did I just do"... That's quite a drastic feeling! I think that happens with anyone who didn't buy this car outright with cash. After a few months that shock fades away and you can finally start to enjoy the car for what it is, especially if you modify it. You start to push it more, connect with it, appreciate it, etc. And that's the reality of getting a car of this price when you're not rich... Anyway, I have to admit that I still had my ES at that time and I would occassionally hop in and go rip through some local canyons. I really enjoyed it! Even driving it back to back I was amazed by how nice of a car it really was. I still think I wouldn't have sold it if it were a stick. The car felt simpler, lighter, and nimbler than my M3 which is a car you have to get used to before you get the confidence/desire to really push it. With my ES I was never worried about overstepping the boundaries; the steering felt extremely light and responsive (better than the M3 in regard to steering ratio). My ES, with all those mods, it really felt like a go-cart. I liked that. Moral of the story here is... Expensive/better cars do not make you any happier. The true excitement, to me at least, is in continuously progressing with your car, i.e. building it (modding), if you're into that. Or at least enjoying it on nice roads as much as possible. I hit a dead end with my ES as I really was not a fan of its transmission (lost motivation to mod further). But if that were not the case, I'd keep going forward with it. But I've learned what I really enjoy in cars now and know more about what cars I'd want in the future.

P.S. if anyone wants to see my new videos, just check my yt channel @TheShaddix.
Dude I know what you mean with the buyers remorse. I had wanted a 13-14 deep impact blue mustang GT with recaros and brembos for the LONGEST time. Went to the dealer with my 11 fusion sport to find a replacement foglight and saw the car sitting in the lot. Left with it that day. Probably the most fun I had was in that car but it stressed me out like crazy for MONTHS. Eventually I had to part with it cause my new job had me driving 100 miles round trip everyday so it got too expensive. Then I got my 16 Elantra. Boring but reliable and good on gas.

Long story short, I’m just glad to be in something with some character again. It’s a happy car and loves to be driven hard. (Shameless stang post below haha)

Attachments

Reactions: kdetlor
101 - 117 of 117 Posts