Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well last Saturday while driving the center display informs me that the engine is overheating. I pull off the freeway and park in a parking lot, pop open the hood and come to find out I have no coolant.

Being that I'm close to a Walmart, I pick up some 50/50, fill it up and drive home. No issues. I pop open the hood after an hour and it is empty. Guess I have a coolant leak somewhere.

I took it in to the dealer this morning and they confirmed via pressure test that the turbo water line has a leak. Anyone here run into this before? I didn't think I needed to use the warranty so early! Any other things I should be concerned about that I should bring up? As of now, the dealership says that I won't be able to pick up the car until Thursday. They don't have the part in stock.

I'm stock and under 9k miles. My ES is _not_ a daily driver as I walk+light rail to work or just work from home.

I appreciate your input folks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just sounds like one of those things unfortunately.

Bit like my SR Turbo not starting due to a dodgy clutch pedal sensor.... All fixed and not a problem since

·
Registered
131 Posts
I recently noticed a smell of coolant and then confirmed a small drip under the car when its running. I have an appointment this week...

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
22k here, no major issues. A bunch of people in colder climates are experiencing P0455 for the EVAP system, mostly likely the purge solenoid. We had a couple problems with rear main seals as well. But outside of that, nothing to mention.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot folks. Hopefully there won't be any more surprises!

·
Registered
18 Posts
This exact thing happened to me back in November 2017. Weld on the turbo cooling line ripped open and pissed all the coolant out and overheated the engine. Interesting to find out that i'm not the only one who has experienced this.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This exact thing happened to me back in November 2017. Weld on the turbo cooling line ripped open and pissed all the coolant out and overheated the engine. Interesting to find out that i'm not the only one who has experienced this.
When I pick up the car, I'll ask again as to why there was a leak to begin with.

I searched in the forum here to see if anyone else experienced this before - I didn't get any hits hence my post. Part of the value of the forum is to track issues from others and at what time. Thanks for chiming in!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let us know how the experience was!
Sure, will do! So far it has been hassle free. Took the car into Capitol Hyundai (San Jose) and they had a shuttle service which was perfect for me. My service adviser is accessible via phone/text/email so asking for updates and such is a breeze. The waiting area is quite good - comparable to the local Audi and Mercedes-Benz dealerships. Hopefully it will be ready to go this Thursday...I miss the ES already!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
When I pick up the car, I'll ask again as to why there was a leak to begin with.

I searched in the forum here to see if anyone else experienced this before - I didn't get any hits hence my post. Part of the value of the forum is to track issues from others and at what time. Thanks for chiming in!
Unfortunately forums are not a popular place anymore as an enthusiast hangout. Facebook groups are slowly killing them. My group just passed 1,000 members a couple days ago. I've seen pretty much every problem these cars have roll through there, and I don't remember anyone saying anything about the water lines. We've had a couple rear main seals pop out, one engine failure (I blame it on the owner), and a few minor things here and there. The biggest issue right now is cars in colder climates throwing P0455 for the EVAP solenoid sticking. I ran a poll a few weeks ago for people to vote for which issues they have had, then created a list which you can see here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...3TiUZgy_3d/pubhtml?gid=1566987277&single=true

·
Registered
209 Posts
Can you please send the link to the FB group

·
Registered
131 Posts
My coolant leak, I have been told, turned out to be a line to the turbo--it's in the shop tonight and I have a loaner. There was no catastrophic loss--just a persistent drip;the coolant reservoir is a bit below the "low" line. I first noticed the smell of coolant and recently noticed the drip marks on the ground. Thats when I made the appointment.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I picked up my ES from Capitol Hyundai today. Apparently there was a bad weld which eventually resulted in my coolant leak issue. At least it was covered under warranty. Hopefully it won't happen again. Given that 1.6TS Elantra experienced the same thing, I won't be surprised if others run into this.

Parts involved:
(1) 28235-2B800 PIPE & HOSE ASSY-T/C WATERFEED
(2) 28253-2C401 BOLT-EYE
(4) 17512-12000 GASKET

Also had an oil change while the ES was there - the dealer uses Quaker State full synthetic 5W-20 (I requested full synthetic).

I'm glad to have the ES back!

Reactions: Petabytes
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.