Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, I am driving my el sport with stock 18" rim and 225/40r18 hankook tire....
Frankly speaking, this setup is not comfortable for day to day city driving, I can easily feel a small bumps and patches too,

Thinking to update it with 17" rim + any increased side wall tire....

all I want is better ride quality, what do u think about it?

and IS there any Warrenty or insurance issue after replacing this?
and also read somewhere that large front disc brake is also hurdle?

pls, let me know if anyone has experienced it.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
You won't really run in to brake caliper clearance issues until you step down to a 16" wheel. Most 17's should be fine.

As far as the tire, I am still on 18's but recently switched to a Pirelli Centruato P7 all season and it's great. Pairing those with some nice 17's could be a big improvement in ride quality. I personally have no complaints about it as I did buy a sporty car where such things are expected.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks man for the reply. I am considering to 17" rim as this also comes with other Elantra model. Hope this ll improve my ride.

·
Registered
66 Posts
As R1600Turbo suggested, the tire is a big part of the problem, especially road noise and also ride quality. I switched to Dunlop Signature HP (same ultra high performance all season category) after doing some research and seeing what was available around here. A definite improvement but not sure how much you need. Check TireRack customer surveys for example.

If you are staying with the 18" wheels, you should be able to find a tire shop to give you some trade-in $ for the OEM tires if they are lightly used. Selling wheels alone or with the OEM tires might be difficult to get any decent $ to help pay for all new 17" wheels + tires. I've heard some guys who have bought all new keep the OEMs in the garage for future car sale/trade. That's pricey!

I don't think there are any warranty issues switching to 17's or different make tires, just (a) initial costs and (b) future car trade in values. The Sport comes with 17" in Australia which I think is better.

·
Registered
143 Posts
hi, I am driving my el sport with stock 18" rim and 225/40r18 hankook tire....
Frankly speaking, this setup is not comfortable for day to day city driving, I can easily feel a small bumps and patches too,

Thinking to update it with 17" rim + any increased side wall tire....

all I want is better ride quality, what do u think about it?

and IS there any Warrenty or insurance issue after replacing this?
and also read somewhere that large front disc brake is also hurdle?

pls, let me know if anyone has experienced it.

The amount of money for new wheels is kinda high for the car value. I switched to Continental Tires Ultra HP All Season and felt the difference.
quieter and more comfortable ride.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm running on 16" wheels for the winter. No issue with caliper interference. Tires are way more comfortable than the stock. Downside being that I can't use throughout the year.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm running on 16" wheels for the winter. No issue with caliper interference. Tires are way more comfortable than the stock. Downside being that I can't use throughout the year.
interesting, why u not able to use for an entire year and how you guys managed TPMS??
sorry for asking a lot

1 - 13 of 13 Posts