Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need some help ASAP from anyone who is willing to give me advice. I’ve had my ‘17 ES since May ‘17 and since then the front bumper along with the bottom part of the hood have taken on several chips but no dents from my commute to and from work. My car is the ceramic white and I take care of this thing like a newborn baby and I figured it’s time to touch up those chips and get rid of them being an eyesore. So I decided to purchase a three pen set from TouchUpDirect that includes primer, color, and clear-coat. I should have realized that their recommended three coats of primer was beyond stupid for a chip and well I realize that too late now. As I filled in the chips with three coats of primer, three coats of color, and two coats of clear-coat, it started to hump over the existing paint and I realized I just majorly screwed up. I did all of this yesterday and I can say it looks so much worse than the eyesore of the chips in the first place. I need some help in what to do because I’m a beginner and though followed directions and took my time, I clearly should have never listened to their obnoxious three coat primer setup. Any tips would be more than appreciated because I’m pretty upset about this simply because I love this car so much and it’s so well kept that I feel like I just screwed up big time. Attached are what it looks like. Also, I do not have a DA polisher or I would have used that already. I also went to a body shop in my town and they recommended waiting two weeks for it to cure, then try to pop out the dot that I did, fill in the chip with super glue, and then once the hole of the chip is filled and dried with that super glue, apply my color and clear-coat. I really don’t have time to wait two weeks as I’m in the process of a complete detail on this beauty. Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport DCT w/TECH
327 Posts
I had great success with this product https://www.elantrasport.com/forum/281-car-care-detailing/11023-touch-up-paint-review.html (on my hood by the windshield, where there was no clear film protection).

Perhaps try this:

I was using different approach when doing repairs, I used sharp-tipped toothpick and was only applying enough paint to fill in the chip, until it was level with the surrounding area. Did not sand anything. Touch up areas are pretty much not visibile, but you can feel it a little under your fingertips.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I like the idea of waiting a while for it to cure because my suggestion is to pick up some Mequiars Ultimate Compound, available over the counter and try to level it out a little bit. This is a clearcoat safe compound btw. Also, register over at www.autogeek.net and throw out this situation to them, I'm an active forum member over there as well, same screen name and good luck to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts