Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the snow storm in the northeast earlier this month, my abs/traction control and brake light went on after a tough hill climb in the steep and unplowed hills of New Jersey
This was the case for the rest of my ride home and the fault cleared on the way to the dealer in th e next morning. No fault codes showed up in either my code reader or at the dealer soi assume that a sensor got snow covered and no smother issues since then
It was "fun"driving the rest of the way without the electronic assistance
Has anyone else experienced this.

·
Registered
46 Posts
In the snow storm in the northeast earlier this month, my abs/traction control and brake light went on after a tough hill climb in the steep and unplowed hills of New Jersey
This was the case for the rest of my ride home and the fault cleared on the way to the dealer in th e next morning. No fault codes showed up in either my code reader or at the dealer soi assume that a sensor got snow covered and no smother issues since then
It was "fun"driving the rest of the way without the electronic assistance
Has anyone else experienced this.
ABS, TC/SC and Brake warning lights are 3 different lights. Never had them light up all at once. It's just the yellow Traction Control/Stability Control light that lights up when I lose grip. It must be that the wheel speed sensors got covered with ice or muck if the ABS and TC/SC light came on solid. That's supposed to mean that the computer is not receiving the inputs it needs from the wheel speed sensors to correctly activate ABS and TC/SC. So these functionalities are disabled as a fail safe. It's probably not safe to keep driving in icy conditions with no ABS and or Stability Control. And I believe these are not DTC that are stored in the memory. They are just on the fly warning lights. Thanks, good info on what could possibly happen on unplowed roads!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I immediately recognized the issue that I was in and didn't have a choice as I was still some distance from home.
The same happened to my wife's car once a few years ago (a BMW)
In both cases it resolved itself but it was a throwback driving without the assistance of abs and traction control.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Identical situation happened with me when I bought my G37 6MT. I got to the dealership before a snow storm. By the time I left out it was really bad. I had difficulty getting out of the dealers parking lot. I was spinning and everything to get out. It got to the point where, at this point the dealership had closed, but I went back inside to get one of the managers that actually used to be a stock car driver to help me get it out. When I did I figured the roads were too bad to try to drive the 3hrs back home so I parked in a parking lot across the street from the dealer. Before I got out to walk to the nearest motel all of the lights were on traction, stability and ABS. The next morning, after shoveling the car out, I noticed all the lights were still on. I figured great, you already broke your brand new car and you’re still 3 hours from home. After driving some distance all the lights were still on. They stayed on for at least half my drive back home before they all simply cleared themselves. I never had that issue again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.