Elantra Sport Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
LAP3 Uncle chip isn't a real tune, as much a device that tricks the ECU to change a few parameters.

Until Tork or SXTH release something, I wouldn't consider anyone's ES tuned. A real tune, is someone intelligently analyzing the ECU coding, finding improvements, and can tailor those improvements to specific levels of modifications. Not trick the ECU, by reporting false sensor readings.

I plan to do a short road trip to SXTH, whenever they release their tune.

·
Registered
229 Posts
LAP3 Uncle chip isn't a real tune, as much a device that tricks the ECU to change a few parameters.

Until Tork or SXTH release something, I wouldn't consider anyone's ES tuned. A real tune, is someone intelligently analyzing the ECU coding, finding improvements, and can tailor those improvements to specific levels of modifications. Not trick the ECU, by reporting false sensor readings.

I plan to do a short road trip to SXTH, whenever they release their tune.
Makes sense. It wasn't clear to me because apparently the LAP3 was made off a DCT but this guy paired it to his 6MT. Didn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm in St Augustine, FL and from what I understand, Sxth element is in Savanah, which is a day trip for me. I'd imagine a dyno tune would be better than mailing an ecu to either Tork or Sxth.

·
Super Moderator
1,202 Posts
I'm in St Augustine, FL and from what I understand, Sxth element is in Savanah, which is a day trip for me. I'd imagine a dyno tune would be better than mailing an ecu to either Tork or Sxth.
Dyno tunes are always preferred, no doubt about it.

Also keep in mind that both companies have done tuning events around the country (Tork has done several). You just need to get people in your area interested enough to put a deposit down in advance. Typically, once a tuner has 10 advanced deposits they'll set a date and come out and tune cars.

What am I getting at with this? If you want a tune from a specific tuner, then organize some people in your area and make it happen. They don't all have to be the same car - just a platform that the tuner works with regularly. I don't know this for sure, but it may well be that they'd like to keep a tune event to one family of cars - I imagine they don't want to haul 10 different tuning apparatus around with them. Tuners, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that last bit.

·
Super Moderator
1,202 Posts
Start a thread in your regional section - that's the best way to get the ball rolling. Make sure you talk to the vendor/tuner first to make sure that they're on board. Once you get the thread going here, then post up on Facebook and Instagram or wherever and alert people to the event and your thread.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm a 13 hour drive to the nearest shop, do you think it would be worth the drive?
If you're talking about getting tuned by the Tork or 6EE folks, then yes. I made the drive from Austin to Phoenix, which was about 13 hours, to get my VT tuned by Tork after having run a bench flash from them for a year. Massive difference and well worth the time. Plus, road trip!!! Who doesn't like a road trip?
How long did it take for them to do the tune? I have some friends in Phoenix I need to go visit, so this could be a worthy trip (takes about 14 hours from OKC).

·
Super Moderator
1,202 Posts
So one of the VT tuners, 845 Motorsports, is now able to flash via laptop straight through the OBD port on the VTs. If I'm understanding the discussion correctly they're going to work with 6EE to develop a tune for the ES as well and once they have that down, will look at OBD flashing or the ES as well.

This is fantastic news!

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
So one of the VT tuners, 845 Motorsports, is now able to flash via laptop straight through the OBD port on the VTs. If I'm understanding the discussion correctly they're going to work with 6EE to develop a tune for the ES as well and once they have that down, will look at OBD flashing or the ES as well.

This is fantastic news!
Just an observation on my end, it's interesting how long it takes tuners to figure out stuff like that and make it work properly (flashing via USB). Funny how easy I have it at work, I flashed a ROM today in about 5 minutes with a simple program on my laptop like it was completely normal. Even then, manufactures are trying to make it harder to access. Good thing we don't have Nissan's here, you guys wouldn't like what's coming. :p

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just an observation on my end, it's interesting how long it takes tuners to figure out stuff like that and make it work properly (flashing via USB). Funny how easy I have it at work, I flashed a ROM today in about 5 minutes with a simple program on my laptop like it was completely normal. Even then, manufactures are trying to make it harder to access. Good thing we don't have Nissan's here, you guys wouldn't like what's coming. :p
And that's just the software part.

Hyundai has software developers and power train engineers working hand in hand to make sure the software takes into account every possible driving condition and maintain a conservative margin of safety for the hardware.

A tuner company doesn't have a team of developers and engineers, boatloads of money, and all kinds of testing facilities, to fully test and understand the durability implications of a tune. It's not surprising manufacturers don't want people messing with it.

·
Super Moderator
1,202 Posts
From my understanding (tuners, correct me if I'm wrong) it's because of the encryption on the ECU. Writing via the OBD port was apparently especially hard to crack on these cars. Several tuners had been working on it for the last 3.5 years. BTR supposedly has a handheld tuner in beta testing for the VT, and now 845 Motorsports has this that they're finalizing.

Reverse engineering software is very difficult and time consuming. They also have parts development, tune development, accounts receivable/payable, fabricators, and half a million other things to worry about. These niche tuning companies are usually working with a small handful of employees (like under 10, most under 5), so most of them don't have a ton of time to drop into a project like this all in one whack.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is what i'm hoping for from this tune: https://youtu.be/2kGFgVcXTNc
You'll likely be able to get that from tunes to this car. With bolt ons, it's probably possible to run 300 WHP on stock engine internals. Heck, probably the first major (expensive) upgrade would be a clutch pack for DCT owners.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
246 Posts
My gut feel is that 200+ will already make the car feel a lot more awake, and 225-250whp or more you start to approach the driver being the limiting factor in exploiting that power. It's already quite a quick point to point car in the right hands.

My personal plan for the years to come is a full intake kit (replacing the cone filter I have now), 2 Litre GDI throttle body, downpipe and a tune. I want to keep her quiet and understated, and I feel like that combo should land me in 225whp + territory where I'd be VERY happy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My gut feel is that 200+ will already make the car feel a lot more awake, and 225-250whp or more you start to approach the driver being the limiting factor in exploiting that power. It's already quite a quick point to point car in the right hands.

My personal plan for the years to come is a full intake kit (replacing the cone filter I have now), 2 Litre GDI throttle body, downpipe and a tune. I want to keep her quiet and understated, and I feel like that combo should land me in 225whp + territory where I'd be VERY happy.
Dump exhaust, intercooler res delete, and intake already bring the car to 200WHP. :)

I have the 2.0 GDI throttle body, and it's a nice responsiveness upgrade. Intake, downpipe, and a tune will almost certainly put you at 225+ WHP.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts