Elantra Sport Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Elantra Sport manual
4 Posts
This information is not accurate at all.

Full ECU tune on a spare ECU is usually around $1k.

There are other piggybacks out there that are far better than a RaceChip.

And the word "budget" should never be mentioned when talking about tuning if you value the life of your engine.
What better piggy backs are there that are better than racechip? Serious question, I don’t own a racechip.
Also if race chip offers 49 hp increase, what’s the point of a lap3 ecu? Lap three only gained 40 hp.
When I come to the life of the engine, as long as you put better oil in there, and plugs. Then change the oil on a consistent basis you shouldn’t have many problems. I understand the over boosting witch needs to be fixed.
Flashing is not a option in my situation, and access ports are definitely not a option right now.
I’m not a expert but based on my research race chip or any other piggy back are the best bet for power and engine health.
Lastly, what exactly makes a RaceChip dangerous??

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
What better piggy backs are there that are better than racechip? Serious question, I don’t own a racechip.
JB4, SXTH Rev6 (not for ES yet), Lap3 ProTuner

Also if race chip offers 49 hp increase, what’s the point of a lap3 ecu? Lap three only gained 40 hp.
RaceChip does not make the claimed HP figures.

When I come to the life of the engine, as long as you put better oil in there, and plugs. Then change the oil on a consistent basis you shouldn’t have many problems. I understand the over boosting witch needs to be fixed.
Boost chips (aka sensor foolers) can run up to 26-27psi. That will fry your turbo very quickly. Seen it happen multiple times. Increasing the power of the engine will always lower it's life expectancy. How much lower depends on how cheaply you try to do it.

Flashing is not a option in my situation, and access ports are definitely not a option right now.
Yet.

I’m not a expert but based on my research race chip or any other piggy back are the best bet for power and engine health.
An real tune that is tweaked to the individual car is always the healthiest option.

Lastly, what exactly makes a RaceChip dangerous??
Not tuned for each specific car, can run too much boost pressure, sensor fooler.

·
Registered
3 Posts
JB4, SXTH Rev6 (not for ES yet), Lap3 ProTuner

RaceChip does not make the claimed HP figures.

Boost chips (aka sensor foolers) can run up to 26-27psi. That will fry your turbo very quickly. Seen it happen multiple times. Increasing the power of the engine will always lower it's life expectancy. How much lower depends on how cheaply you try to do it.

Yet.

An real tune that is tweaked to the individual car is always the healthiest option.

Not tuned for each specific car, can run too much boost pressure, sensor fooler.
So if I were to go with a JB4 piggyback, it would still be relatively safe? Also I still have electrical and engine/transmision warranty from factory, so would a JB4 void my warranty?

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
So if I were to go with a JB4 piggyback, it would still be relatively safe? Also I still have electrical and engine/transmision warranty from factory, so would a JB4 void my warranty?
JB4 is probably one of the safer piggyback options if you stay out of the higher maps. Map 2 is probably fine.

I'm not the guy to ask about warranty, my opinion on that is that if the warranty means that much to you, should probably just leave it stock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
JB4 is probably one of the safer piggyback options if you stay out of the higher maps. Map 2 is probably fine.

I'm not the guy to ask about warranty, my opinion on that is that if the warranty means that much to you, should probably just leave it stock.
I don't really care about the warranty to be honest, I'm just wondering if the JB4 would leave a trace on the ECU in which it would void the warranty.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts