Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted about this in the facebook group, but thought I would do it here as well since not everyone has a facebook account. Rather than type it all out, here's what I posted over there:

Some of you will remember that I was chasing down a hesitation which I suspected might be caused by an exhaust leak at the manifold. Mainly because revving next to a wall I could hear the distinct signature of an exhaust leak. Well, it might be something different and one not so great.

Parked the car in the garage tonight and when I shut it off my heart sank to my stomach. I could hear the clear whistle of what sounds like the turbo propeller blades rubbing on the housing. :( At least I'm pretty sure. I'll try to listen for it some more tomorrow, but right now I'm planning on putting the stock intake back in and making a dealership appointment...
I have an appointment for the 29th (soonest our schedules didn't clash) and I'll update if I know any more before then. Just something to keep a listen for and hopefully this isn't a wide spread issue given that these are different turbochargers from the VT and possibly all new?

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is terrible :|

The 29th is so far from now but I guess it's better than later. Hope it all works out and it's nothing too serious. I think they're the same turbos though...

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is terrible :|

The 29th is so far from now but I guess it's better than later. Hope it all works out and it's nothing too serious. I think they're the same turbos though...
It's been confirmed that they are not the same.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I posted about this in the facebook group, but thought I would do it here as well since not everyone has a facebook account. Rather than type it all out, here's what I posted over there:

I have an appointment for the 29th (soonest our schedules didn't clash) and I'll update if I know any more before then. Just something to keep a listen for and hopefully this isn't a wide spread issue given that these are different turbochargers from the VT and possibly all new?
Hope that things work out for you. A BIG Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Im sure it'll pain you but can you post a clip so we can see exactly what you mean?

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im sure it'll pain you but can you post a clip so we can see exactly what you mean?
I tried tonight but it actually didn't do it. I'm going to try something else tomorrow. I would have tried them tonight but it's monsoon season and it was minutes away from down pouring so I just went inside.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I tried tonight but it actually didn't do it. I'm going to try something else tomorrow. I would have tried them tonight but it's monsoon season and it was minutes away from down pouring so I just went inside.
I don't blame you at all. Id rather be safe than risk being out in a monsoon! :eek:

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tried again tonight. Did a couple full throttle pulls to see if that would coerce it to happen and it didn't. So now I'm trying to figure out what else under the hood would spin to a stop after you shut the car off that could potentially make the same type of noise. Other than the fans which weren't running at the time, I have no idea. Just going to keep an ear out for the next couple days, then on Sunday I will dig in and see if I can take a look for myself.

Reactions: Mohkx

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Figures, the last two days I come home and prepare to video shutting off the car to capture the noise on video and it didn't do it either time. Tonight I get home and shut it down without trying to video, and the noise is there. But this time it lasted twice as long. Still planning on pulling the intake out on Sunday and peeking around. Anyone know how hard it is to remove the aluminum turbo inlet pipe?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Figures, the last two days I come home and prepare to video shutting off the car to capture the noise on video and it didn't do it either time. Tonight I get home and shut it down without trying to video, and the noise is there. But this time it lasted twice as long. Still planning on pulling the intake out on Sunday and peeking around. Anyone know how hard it is to remove the aluminum turbo inlet pipe?
It goes all of the way down to the turbo and bolts up there.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Didn't attempt to look at it myself, just looks like more work than I want to put in to get it off. So going to let the dealer do it on Saturday. In the mean time I have been trying to record the sound **** near every day when I get home from work and every time I get my phone set up to record, it doesn't do it. Then tonight I made sure to listen for it but didn't get the camera ready and what do you know.......it made the sound. Restarted the car and tried to record it again, didn't do it. :mad:

Other than possibly the fans, what else in the engine bay would freely spin to a stop when you shut the engine off? Anyone know?

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I have come to the conclusion (after cancelling my dealership appointment) that the sound I am hearing is coming from the fans. Sigh of relief right here, I tell you what. Now I wonder if I should just leave them be or have them replaced. Squeaky fans FTW.

·
Registered
109 Posts

I have come to the conclusion (after cancelling my dealership appointment) that the sound I am hearing is coming from the fans. Sigh of relief right here, I tell you what. Now I wonder if I should just leave them be or have them replaced. Squeaky fans FTW.
I am glad that this issue was not the turbo. You and the rest of us can breath a sigh of relief. Even if the warranty covered the cost of a faulty turbo I am glad you do not have to endure the trouble.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts