Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a little drive the other night and 3rd gear hit 5k then boom no more turbo pull. Rest of drive home I had no turbo power whatsoever (very slow). Glad I wasn't passing or merging on the hwy. Car is a 19 Elantra sport 6 speed manual with only 18000kms. I've unplugged the battery and car is ok now. Have a appointment at dealership Tues to check out but they are upset I recent the ecu. No dash lights. This happen to anyone else? I had some surging a few weeks ago.

Think I need this part sooner then later

Registered
I was on a long trip (1k miles) and it happened halfway thru after a fill up and accelerating onto the interstate. I pulled over and turned the car off for a little bit and it worked afterwards just like you.

Dealership said it was misfires caused by bad coils. They replaced I believe 2 coils and the plugs.

Torque app said I was still getting misfires afterwards despite this specific issue not occurring again. I decided to cover my ass by getting msd ignition coils and torque no longer reports any misfires. Doubt this was helpful but I figured I'd share my similar experience.

Registered
2018 Elantra Sport 6MT Electric Blue
keep us posted. btw what octane gas and what oil do you regularly use?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience. I bought that wastgate solenoid in case the dealership says they can't find something wrong. N75 motorsports told me it's a know OEM part that's bad and can't hold boost well. For mods all I have so far is a k&n filter and intercooler resonator delete pipe. I mainly use 89 octane because 91 is crazy priced in Canada and better then the 87 they recommend. I don't trust turbo cars on 87 octane. I've had all service done at the dealership so dunno what out they use. Own a condo where I can't do my own work.

Registered
Can someone tell me what the wastegate solenoid does? And was Ryancoke saying the stock solenoid cant hold boost well? I would like to replace it if thats the case.

Registered
This is crazy to see, considering the car is so new. I had this happen to me on more than 10 occasions, but I had figured that it was because of the RaceChip I was running. At the time of these cuts happening, I had the wastegate solenoid installed, but I still believe it was the piggyback tune at fault. Had to drive the car with no boost until I could pull over on the side of the road and turn the car off then back on. No CEL, no visual signal that something was wrong. This has never happened to me on the stock tune however, so it could be anyone's guess what is happening. Considering replacing the coils to the MSD ones as I've heard they can fix some misfiring issues. Be sure to keep us updated!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I brought to the dealership about turbo not spooling and got this reply. They are telling me it might not be under warranty because of my k&n air filter that I put in oiled from the factory. I don't think it would effect a wastgate sensor. Text from dealership below. Any advice?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dealership recommend recirculation valve and waste gate solenoid replaced. They can't say if under warranty or not till parts come in and if was caused somehow by my air filter?

Registered
So I brought to the dealership about turbo not spooling and got this reply. They are telling me it might not be under warranty because of my k&n air filter that I put in oiled from the factory. I don't think it would effect a wastgate sensor. Text from dealership below. Any advice?
View attachment 17870
That's complete nonsense that they would deny you of your warranty because of an air filter. Besides that, its very much possible that you have a failing wastegate solenoid and honestly, I wouldn't take the dealership repair and would buy the upgraded Pierburg wastegate solenoid. On the stock tune, the solenoid makes the power delivery so much smoother. Still surprised that they couldn't pinpoint a cause other than "oil on the sensors", I've never had an issue driving my car on the stock tune and then the car eliminating boost in 3rd gear...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Muzzy, I just happened to get my pierburg in the mail today from n75 motorsports. The dealership wanted nothing with putting it on instead of ordering factory one. I made a appointment for Monday morning to get installed. I could prob do by myself but need a garage etc.

Registered
Thanks Muzzy, I just happened to get my pierburg in the mail today from n75 motorsports. The dealership wanted nothing with putting it on instead of ordering factory one. I made a appointment for Monday morning to get installed. I could prob do by myself but need a garage etc.

View attachment 17871
No worries mate, hopefully it'll solve the issue! Its a very easy install, would just need a jack, some stands and some hand tools. Remove the driver side wheel, remove the fender lining and the OEM valve will be staring in your face. Then it's just a matter of matching up the lines and replacing the OEM valve. There's a diagram laying around on the web about which ports are which on that Pierburg valve 馃槂

Registered
Remove the driver side wheel,
Passenger side over here. ;)

This is more than likely the issue. I guess on the '19-20 cars they maxed out the sensitivity of the EBCS and it will trip the overboost code easily.

Registered
Passenger side over here. ;)

This is more than likely the issue. I guess on the '19-20 cars they maxed out the sensitivity of the EBCS and it will trip the overboost code easily.
Hey R1600, I just wanted to add onto this thread once again. Last night, I experienced this limp mode condition again going from 3rd gear to 4th gear. Was a very cool evening and ideal conditions for boosting. Nonetheless, I installed the wastegate solenoid upgrade (Pierburg) yet this has still happened. Admittedly, this was the first time I experienced it switching over from the RaceChip S to the JB4 tuner but is there any other explanation for this other than the terrible stock solenoid?

Registered
Sounds like the BPV failing.
Damn, I'm running a GFB Respons BOV too so thought this wouldn't be the case. Would you recommend getting an upgraded BOV solenoid or adjusting the BOV venting and recirculation ratio? I had to remove the recirc hose because it kept popping off the port on the BOV but I will reinstall it if this may be causing the issue?

Registered
I haven't got the upgraded BOV solenoid...they didn't offer it at any local KDM retailers here in Australia, but recently they have added it to their offerings and its the same Pierburg valve used on the wastegate side if you were upgrading. Do you think the OEM solenoid is failing from the extra boost?

Registered
2018 Elantra Sport 6MT Electric Blue
Damn, I'm running a GFB Respons BOV too so thought this wouldn't be the case. Would you recommend getting an upgraded BOV solenoid or adjusting the BOV venting and recirculation ratio? I had to remove the recirc hose because it kept popping off the port on the BOV but I will reinstall it if this may be causing the issue?
what vent/recirc % were you using at the latest limp mode incident?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts