Elantra Sport Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
what vent/recirc % were you using at the latest limp mode incident?
So at the moment, I should be running about 70% recirc and 30% atmosphere, however, I had installed an intake a little while ago and for some reason, the recirc hose kept popping off, so i just removed it. Going to reinstall it today and probably go back to running full recirc, I will still get a BOV style noise since I have an intake but its a little annoying hearing my BOV open at partial throttle, which is most likely contributing to my boost cuts ie the car not being able to hold consistent boost. Would you recommend me to change my atmo to recirc ratio on my BOV?

·
Registered
2018 Elantra Sport 6MT Electric Blue
74 Posts
So at the moment, I should be running about 70% recirc and 30% atmosphere, however, I had installed an intake a little while ago and for some reason, the recirc hose kept popping off, so i just removed it. Going to reinstall it today and probably go back to running full recirc, I will still get a BOV style noise since I have an intake but its a little annoying hearing my BOV open at partial throttle, which is most likely contributing to my boost cuts ie the car not being able to hold consistent boost. Would you recommend me to change my atmo to recirc ratio on my BOV?
ah ok. oh I wouldn't know what to recommend haha. I was just curious because I had a BOV installed on a stock tune that is set to 50/50. it's been more than a week so far no issues. I have a stock intake and everything else is stock anyway

·
Registered
32 Posts
ah ok. oh I wouldn't know what to recommend haha. I was just curious because I had a BOV installed on a stock tune that is set to 50/50. it's been more than a week so far no issues. I have a stock intake and everything else is stock anyway
ah okay fair enough ahahaha. yeah, the issue didn't present itself immediately ie no boost cuts on stock tune, however, my BOV solenoid did start surging as time went on after installing my BOV. it keeps opening on partial throttle so its definitely malfunctioning and last night, i experienced another boost cut and was in limp mode until i turned the car off. i have a pierburg bov solenoid on the way nonetheless so hopefully that fixes it. if i'm partial throttling it, then change gear and it vents, if i then put my foot to the floor, the car definitely feels a little sluggish and doesn't hit target pressure and usually that's enough to trigger the boost cut. my guess is that it keeps opening on WOT and isn't holding boost very consistently, which is causing an overboost condition...

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
it keeps opening on partial throttle so its definitely malfunctioning
The BPV/BOV on these cars will release pressure with even the tiniest amount of boost. It's annoying but not abnormal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The BPV/BOV on these cars will release pressure with even the tiniest amount of boost. It's annoying but not abnormal.
yeah, its definitely annoying. if it isn't the solenoid, what other issues could it be? i must also note, when installing the wastegate solenoid, the company who supplied it didn't give me enough vacuum line to connect the solenoid directly to the compressor, so i had to keep the check valve in and using the pre-existing line to connect to the solenoid. is it possible that this is causing the issue? could it be coil packs? at this point, i'm really running out of possible ideas ahaha.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
yeah, its definitely annoying. if it isn't the solenoid, what other issues could it be? i must also note, when installing the wastegate solenoid, the company who supplied it didn't give me enough vacuum line to connect the solenoid directly to the compressor, so i had to keep the check valve in and using the pre-existing line to connect to the solenoid. is it possible that this is causing the issue? could it be coil packs? at this point, i'm really running out of possible ideas ahaha.
That check valve actually doesn't do anything, it's hollow inside.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That check valve actually doesn't do anything, it's hollow inside.
oh okay, least that rules out another possible cause. at this point, i feel it could be the coil pack. will have to see if this bov solenoid does anything, i'm skeptical but hopeful...

·
Super Moderator
1,213 Posts
I haven't got the upgraded BOV solenoid...they didn't offer it at any local KDM retailers here in Australia, but recently they have added it to their offerings and its the same Pierburg valve used on the wastegate side if you were upgrading. Do you think the OEM solenoid is failing from the extra boost?
Yes. That's exactly what I think. This is extremely common. And, honestly, piggyback modules are a problem in and of themselves. They trick the ECU into thinking its operating in a different environment than it really is, and that causes problems exactly like this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes. That's exactly what I think. This is extremely common. And, honestly, piggyback modules are a problem in and of themselves. They trick the ECU into thinking its operating in a different environment than it really is, and that causes problems exactly like this.
yeah exactly, i switched over from the RaceChip to the JB4 and its crazy how much more refined the tune is, albeit not as refined as a fully custom tune. i actually decided to head out last night and switched off my throttle controller to see if that was causing any issues and to my surprise, i did not experience a single boost cut condition and i was really throwing my car around. need to test a little more and will update...

21 - 29 of 29 Posts