Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Anyone kept the stock GT Sport wheels but upgraded from stock tyres? I have a 2018 GT Sport, have done a K&N intake upgrade and RaceChip. Stock tyres seem a bit average but I like the wheels, so wondering if anyone has upgraded their tyres and found much of a difference?
Any recommendations?
Thanks

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've tried Bridgestone RE760 Sport, Nitto NT555G2, and Continental ContiSportContact 5. The Bridgestones wore down to the wear bars within 10k miles of spirited canyon drives, Nittos lasted 12k miles of same, Contis have shown no wear and have seen almost no spirited driving since I moved away from any fun roads, but it's only been 2k miles. All of my summer tires were run on Koenig Tweak'd in stock wheel size. I will be re-buying the Contis when they wear out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried Bridgestone RE760 Sport, Nitto NT555G2, and Continental ContiSportContact 5. The Bridgestones wore down to the wear bars within 10k miles of spirited canyon drives, Nittos lasted 12k miles of same, Contis have shown no wear and have seen almost no spirited driving since I moved away from any fun roads, but it's only been 2k miles. All of my summer tires were run on Koenig Tweak'd in stock wheel size. I will be re-buying the Contis when they wear out.
‘Spirited’ haha... well 10k isn’t much for a set of boots. Want something good but ideally with some more life than that. Did those fit the stock wheels? Which were your favourite?

·
Registered
345 Posts
‘Spirited’ haha... well 10k isn’t much for a set of boots. Want something good but ideally with some more life than that. Did those fit the stock wheels? Which were your favourite?
Yes, all aftermarket tires were purchased in the stock 225/40R18 size. Even though the Continentals spent the least amount of time in the canyons, they're my favorites.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As soon I drove my ES with the OEM tires I couldn't stand the drone noise over regular road. So I decided to replace them with the Continental extreme contact DWS06 and the difference was night to day. The grip increase the wet traction was like driving on dry road vs the OEM that keeps spinning and getting the traction control on every time I took off. Plus the noise and drone was considerable reduced. If you need year round tire with really good traction on wet and dry, I will recommend the Continental extreme contact DWS06.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Guys,
Anyone kept the stock GT Sport wheels but upgraded from stock tyres? I have a 2018 GT Sport, have done a K&N intake upgrade and RaceChip. Stock tyres seem a bit average but I like the wheels, so wondering if anyone has upgraded their tyres and found much of a difference?
Any recommendations?
Thanks
This isn't related to tires, but I would be careful using that racechip, especially if you have the DCT. The racechip messed up my transmission to where it is now slipping every time it up shifts. I took it off and the problem got a little bit better but it looks like permanent damage was done. I would just be careful long-term with that chip on there

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As soon I drove my ES with the OEM tires I couldn't stand the drone noise over regular road. So I decided to replace them with the Continental extreme contact DWS06 and the difference was night to day. The grip increase the wet traction was like driving on dry road vs the OEM that keeps spinning and getting the traction control on every time I took off. Plus the noise and drone was considerable reduced. If you need year round tire with really good traction on wet and dry, I will recommend the Continental extreme contact DWS06.
Thanks man, looking at the continentals for sure!

·
Super Moderator
1,191 Posts
I had DWSs on both my Tiburon GT and Veloster Turbo - loved them! I tried the Firestone Indys on the ES and I still prefer the all weather DWS over these. They have better all around traction and they don't break free as easily as these Indys do.

·
Registered
2019 Elantra Sport
67 Posts
Might be worth checking out Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's. No personal experience with them, but they seem to be loved & they're relatively cheap.

Edit - missed prior post on the Indy's

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had DWSs on both my Tiburon GT and Veloster Turbo - loved them! I tried the Firestone Indys on the ES and I still prefer the all weather DWS over these. They have better all around traction and they don't break free as easily as these Indys do.
Did you stick with the stock wheels? I can’t find a DWS to fit the stock wheels 225/40R18

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Break free, in the rain? Never had that issue with mine on dry pavement. And I push my car hard.

·
Super Moderator
1,191 Posts
Mine break free all the damned time. Can't hold traction on dry pavement to save their lives. I really, really dislike these tires.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Mine break free all the damned time. Can't hold traction on dry pavement to save their lives. I really, really dislike these tires.
Was never an issue with me. Used up the whole tire doing canyon runs and autocross and I thought they were fantastic for the price.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts