Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else's power steering making squeaks/creaks when it is cold out? My ES has been doing this for a while now.

Otherwise no issues - 2018 w/ 6,200 miles.

·
Registered
338 Posts
-20 to -30 celcius in Ontario for a week (-2 to -22 farenheit) and no sounds.

·
Registered
188 Posts
On the Elantra Sport Facebook group a few people have reported the same trouble. Because it's pretty specific when it happens I haven't taken it into the dealership.

·
Registered
79 Posts
did anyone figure this one out via dealer by chance? I just came back from vacation, so mine was sitting for 12 days. now the temps have dropped where i live into high 20's F in the morning and the past few trips i have taken, when i turn to the right, there is almost a whining noise, or some type of vibration. Not sure if it could be related, but it was this cold earlier in the year and i never noticed this issue. Any insight would be great - if it keeps doing it I may call up the dealer soon - will try and see if i can get it to pick up on video

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had my car since March so I’ve had it in much colder weather and did not hear this until this week. Turn to the right and there is a loud screeching noise from the front. It was cold and wet. Took it to the dealer and the car sat inside under the heat lamps for 10 minutes and when it was time to show the tech the noise was gone. They lifted it and said everything is fine. Now it is still cold but dry and I have not heard it. I am speculating that some bushing doesn’t like being cold and wet at the same time. Maybe the strut bar or the top hat of the strut. Not sure but the noise was terrible and for me I assumed it was a safety issue, unfortunately I was not able to replicate at the dealer.

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport DCT w/TECH
327 Posts
No issues here (it was about -15C for a while), but running synthetic oil. 3000Km on the car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
No issues here. Owned here from April 2017 till date. The only sound while turning when its icy out is the tire rubbing against the ice on the road. Nothing from inside the steering column.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had my car since March so I’ve had it in much colder weather and did not hear this until this week. Turn to the right and there is a loud screeching noise from the front. It was cold and wet. Took it to the dealer and the car sat inside under the heat lamps for 10 minutes and when it was time to show the tech the noise was gone. They lifted it and said everything is fine. Now it is still cold but dry and I have not heard it. I am speculating that some bushing doesn’t like being cold and wet at the same time. Maybe the strut bar or the top hat of the strut. Not sure but the noise was terrible and for me I assumed it was a safety issue, unfortunately I was not able to replicate at the dealer.
I have the same thought on mine, I've been noticing the sound off and on while turning through the parking lot at my work. Didn't notice that it only does happen when its just slightly damp even. The dealer could not replicate it either when they checked it. I had asked about it since it was in for body repair work. Will keep checking it in dry and wet conditions as the winter moves on.

·
Registered
106 Posts
starting this winter when its very cold, i heard a ticking sound while turning left/right rapidly when the wheel was centered. this could very well be the issue from this youtube video. there is a recall to replace it but not sure if it is the same in canada.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts