Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Vibration while Braking at high speed: Fixed

Just got my elantra sport about 2 weeks back currently have 450 kms on the ODO. I experience some vibration/wobbling while braking at high speed(100 - 110 Kmph) even when its not hard braking. I don't feel the vibration either on steering or the brake pedal, the car stops in straight line,but i certainly can hear it or say feel it. I am perplexed as what could be causing this, or is this normal and there is no reason to worry. There is no such vibrations/wobbling at lower speeds. Please advise as what should i do.

·
Registered
228 Posts
It's either the rotors that are warped, or your brake pads did not bed in with the rotors properly and have patches of uneven deposits. You should do a break-in by doing stops from 60 to 10 mph, about 10, at moderate force. Don't overheat them, the objective is to shave off as much as possible without shocking them thermally too much. This will wear in the pads and rotors so they even out. You should get a strong brake smell while doing this. If it doesn't work, then get new rotors and pads for the front. Your rear is very unlikely to be causing this. I would not bother getting the old rotors turned if they are bad as the problem will certainly come back. The reason this happened could be that when your brakes are hot and you come to a stop and hold the pedal down, the pad leaves imprints in certain spots. That's why it's always best to not hold the brakes down for too long if they were used quite a bit prior and use your ebrake in this case.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I too would lean towards, the brake pads not being bedded properly. There are a few techniques you can google, but they all more or less follow what was written above.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can the new rotors be warped from factory, do you think that can be the case. Just a week old car with hardly 400 kms on the ODO.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Can the new rotors be warped from factory, do you think that can be the case. Just a week old car with hardly 400 kms on the ODO.
Highly unlikely to have both new rotors warped from the factory. If one happened to be warped you should be able to tell which side. If it is brakes, I agree with everyone else that its going to be the fronts. There are two other possibilities, first tires that are balanced properly but not exactly 'round', and brake pads that were somehow fused to the rotors during shipping leaving an imprint or material on the rotor on one area. The above mentioned bedding of brakes routine should solve that second one. As you say this is speed sensitive, ie; only at higher speeds (but not hard braking), that makes me lean towards a tire problem. Or even a toe in/out/alignment problem.

I'm not 100% clear on exactly what you are experiencing though. Warped rotors should cause a feeling in the brake pedal. Out of round tires should cause a feeling in the steering. You are experiencing neither? Don't forget you've got complete warranty coverage! But a really detailed description will help at the dealer.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I used to get steering wheel shakes when my rotors were warped on other cars though. Along with pedal pulsation of course.

The dealer is definitely the go to for this though especially if it's very evident. Take them on a road test and you should be alright.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's either the rotors that are warped, or your brake pads did not bed in with the rotors properly and have patches of uneven deposits. You should do a break-in by doing stops from 60 to 10 mph, about 10, at moderate force. Don't overheat them, the objective is to shave off as much as possible without shocking them thermally too much. This will wear in the pads and rotors so they even out. You should get a strong brake smell while doing this. If it doesn't work, then get new rotors and pads for the front. Your rear is very unlikely to be causing this. I would not bother getting the old rotors turned if they are bad as the problem will certainly come back. The reason this happened could be that when your brakes are hot and you come to a stop and hold the pedal down, the pad leaves imprints in certain spots. That's why it's always best to not hold the brakes down for too long if they were used quite a bit prior and use your ebrake in this case.
Issue seems to be fixed now with the break-in advised above. Thanks for that. I also went to the dealer service center and they were advising me to turn the rotors. I declined that and told them that I will come back in case the issue persists. Now after the break-in and running the vehicle for about 800 kms , issue seems to be resolved.Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Issue seems to be fixed now with the break-in advised above. Thanks for that. I also went to the dealer service center and they were advising me to turn the rotors. I declined that and told them that I will come back in case the issue persists. Now after the break-in and running the vehicle for about 800 kms , issue seems to be resolved.Thanks everyone.
Glad, it's working properly now.

That's kind of stupid advice coming from the dealer, the thought that you would even need to turn the rotors in so few miles, would be an indication of a larger problem, and not a solution. Should they be found to need turning (which is unlikely), then, they deserve to be replaced under a factory defect, not lathed down. That's something you do on a car that's been around, not a new one, and honestly, you're better off with new rotors, not machined old ones to begin with, whenever you do hit that milestone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts