Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had the issue twice while flooring it from a dead stop in sport mode. It will do it with traction control on or off. I usually don’t floor it like that and prowl the anymore because I don’t want to tear up my new car but it’s kinda weird and I don’t feel it should be happening. You hear the tires spinning and just a hard thump thump thump thump from behind the dash. It’s the auto DCT trans. I use BP premium fuel and mobile 1 synthetic oil and filter. It’s a shame they make a car that they put a sport badge and a turbo in and sounds like the car is going to rip apart when you get on it from a stoplight.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well it could be a couple of things.

You could be getting wheel hop, or your clutches are slipping cause you’re flooring it off the line. But from the sound of it, it’s wheel hop.

See, it’s a dry clutch trans, so it’s not performance inspired, it’s a decent trans but you also gotta drive it correctly. Flooring it off the line is a great way to shorten the lifespan of it. With the DCT you gotta roll into it, preferably in manual mode so it’ll hold one gear and not go gear searching. As it is technically a manual transmission, you should treat or more like a manual than a typical automatic

·
Registered
53 Posts
Happens to me too in the dct. It is VERY violent wheel hop. Haven’t seen it be so bad in many cars. It feels like the front end of the car is about to rip off. So I’m sure doing this a lot could break something. I take it slower from a start now but once your rolling give it all you got and you’ll be fine

·
Registered
244 Posts
Definitely wheel hop! Unfortunately for these cars you can't really pedal the throttle your TPS gets confused and you get back on the throttle it will fall flat on its face! Roll into the throttle!

·
Registered
7 Posts
is it the same feeling as if driving a manual right? because its a DCT. should be not as bad if you doing it in sport mode.
I always baby the throttle on mine because of the throttle lag. If I go light or if I go slightly harder, it still takes a moment for the clutch to gradually engage. I've noticed it requires that time to go up to 1500 RPM and then your car begins to move; just like MT driving.

That said, I did try to push the throttle a bit more than that one time at left turn. It felt like the clutch slipped, and that wouldn't be safe if I needed the car to move immediately.

In sport mode, that should remedy anyone who really wants the car to get going right when they get off the brakes as the RPM will pick up sooner.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have noticed the same in my car as well which is the DCT. Initially thought it was the clutch slipping on hard acceleration but later came to realize that it's wheel hop. It's very easy to notice when the road is slightly wet. Even half throttle or a bit more will trigger this phenomenon. The Hankooks could be to blame partly, not sure. Reducing the air pressure may be another solution but never got around to trying this. I am planning to replace these with Michelin Pilot Sports 235/40 soon after the winter months. Hope this will contain the hop. Maybe stiffer mountings for the engine and/or transmission could help if not better tires but I do not think I want to go this route. But as mentioned earlier if the road is dry getting off to a rolling start can help to prevent this.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have noticed the same in my car as well which is the DCT. Initially thought it was the clutch slipping on hard acceleration but later came to realize that it's wheel hop. It's very easy to notice when the road is slightly wet. Even half throttle or a bit more will trigger this phenomenon. The Hankooks could be to blame partly, not sure. Reducing the air pressure may be another solution but never got around to trying this. I am planning to
replace these with Michelin Pilot Sports 235/40 soon after the winter months. Hope this will contain the hop. Maybe stiffer mountings for the engine and/or transmission could help if not better tires but I do not think I want to go this route. But as mentioned earlier if the road is dry getting off to a rolling start can help to prevent this.
I upgraded my tires to pilot super sports and the grip got so much better. On turns it’s amazing compared to the crappy hankooks. No more squealing. Wheel hop is still a problem thought but it’s a bit harder to slip the wheels now

·
Registered
46 Posts
I upgraded my tires to pilot super sports and the grip got so much better. On turns it’s amazing compared to the crappy hankooks. No more squealing. Wheel hop is still a problem thought but it’s a bit harder to slip the wheels now
Appreciate it if you could let me know if you went for the 225 or 235 and the aspect ratio. I was planning for the 235 because 225 'looks' too thin for the rims but per specs it is the ideal width supported by the rims. I was looking at Pilot Sport AS3+ and not the Pilot SS because that is a definite summer performance tire. It might just slide in winter. And how's the wet handling? And when it does happen has the severity of wheel hop reduced at all?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Appreciate it if you could let me know if you went for the 225 or 235 and the aspect ratio. I was planning for the 235 because 225 'looks' too thin for the rims but per specs it is the ideal width supported by the rims. I was looking at Pilot Sport AS3+ and not the Pilot SS because that is a definite summer performance tire. It might just slide in winter. And how's the wet handling? And when it does happen has the severity of wheel hop reduced at all?
I kept it stock size 225/40/18 and yeah the SS probably would handle poorly in the cold, but I’m in Cali so never gets too cold. Wet handling is great no problems, grips well. And the tires made it harder to spin the tires loose but when they do the wheel hop is still just as bad.

·
Registered
53 Posts
This car really just needed to come with an LSD from factory and the wheel hop wouldn’t be so bad.

·
Registered
288 Posts
This car really just needed to come with an LSD from factory and the wheel hop wouldn’t be so bad.
Lol LSD won’t cure wheel hop. Wheel hop is combatted with good control arms, and I’ve had very little issue with wheel hop, and I’m tuned lol. Mine just spin.

LSD only helps in a track or autoX setting where you need to come out of corners fast without much wheelspin.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My ES just been to service and been diagnosed with bad ball joints on the right. The symptom was a crunching/groaning noise on right turns. It must have been those few times when the wheels hopped, it must have ripped the ball joints apart. Apparently there's quite a bit of free play in it. The part has been special ordered and waiting for it. Hopefully it will get better with the new ball joint installed. Need to be real careful with this wheel hop.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
My ES just been to service and been diagnosed with bad ball joints on the right. The symptom was a crunching/groaning noise on right turns. It must have been those few times when the wheels hopped, it must have ripped the ball joints apart. Apparently there's quite a bit of free play in it. The part has been special ordered and waiting for it. Hopefully it will get better with the new ball joint installed. Need to be real careful with this wheel hop.
According to Jim Pierce of Pierce Motorsports, that is the main source of the wheel hop. They are working on some solid (monoball) joints for us to cure this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve had the issue twice while flooring it from a dead stop in sport mode. It will do it with traction control on or off. I usually don’t floor it like that and prowl the anymore because I don’t want to tear up my new car but it’s kinda weird and I don’t feel it should be happening. You hear the tires spinning and just a hard thump thump thump thump from behind the dash. It’s the auto DCT trans. I use BP premium fuel and mobile 1 synthetic oil and filter. It’s a shame they make a car that they put a sport badge and a turbo in and sounds like the car is going to rip apart when you get on it from a stoplight.
Same thing with my car under heavy acceleration from stand still. Seems like I have to put my foot on the brake and bring the revs up before letting rip.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts